• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
Here's a link to the highlights: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/videohub/video/clipDeportes?id=1546834&cc=7586

Both sides were resting ~25 players, Pumas had the advantage that a big bunch of the players play together for Pampas.

For France, they tried too hard to make that extra pass. Both ARG tries came from interceptions. Lauret was disappointing, and I have to say Fofana didn't look good at 13 unfotunately. French scrum was dominant (France had a second choice front row, Argentina had one closer to third or fourth choice). Dulin looked good at fullback, Picamoles and Fritz did well. Huget had a good comeback.

For Argentina, De la Vega was the stand out, and I think they can be happy about their 9 and 10 for the future. Wingers took their chances. Lineout and scrum were awful.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I loved the Adidas Argentina jersey as it was a simple yet distinctive design and colour palette and was hoping to see Los Pumas play in them in the Rugby Championship. So it's disappointing to see what the jersey looks like now since they have signed up with Nike.

Argentina-Rugby-Championship-Jersey-2012.jpg

It looks like Nike just changed the designs they had planned for England (which have signed up with Canterbury) by replacing the red bits with blue for Argentina.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I loved the Adidas Argentina jersey as it was a simple yet distinctive design and colour palette and was hoping to see Los Pumas play in them in the Rugby Championship. So it's disappointing to see what the jersey looks like now since they have signed up with Nike.

It looks like Nike just changed the designs they had planned for England (which have signed up with Canterbury) by replacing the red bits with blue for Argentina.
Spot on Badger.
Their banded Adidas jersey was a cracker.
Don't discount Visa's influence here in the changes.
Sponsors are more demanding today in having their brands more visible and don't care about tradition.
Conversely, good on the All Blacks for being so protective of their jersey's integrity.

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
On a side note, the last time France beat Argentina away was in 1998. Both the commentators on the video above (Albanese and Simone) were playing.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
France fail again in Argentina

Argentina came from behind to snatch a dramatic 23-20 win over France in the first game of their two-Test series at Estadio Mario Alberto Kempes in Córdoba on Saturday.

The visitors looked to have their first victory on Argentine soil since 1998 wrapped up until Pumas wing Manuel Montero burst clear in the 77th minute to score the winning try.

France led 14-13 at the end of a scrappy first half thanks to a try from Louis Picamoles but their advantage should have been a lot larger after the visitors left eleven points by wayside with some below-par kicking.

Indeed, les Bleus will harbour a number of regrets as they produced far more on attack than their hosts and were never seriously threatened on defence. But the tourists were their own worst enemies, committing a plethora of unforced errors and failing to close out a game that was well within their reach.

In typical fashion, Argentina used their tried-and-tested spoiling tactics to frustrate the French while Felipe Contepomi kept the scoreboard ticking with his trusty boot.

It wasn't pretty and penalties were in abundance. It took just three minutes for the first three points to be scored via France scrum-half Morgan Parra.

Los Pumas struck back immediately when wing Belisario Agulla intercepted a careless pass from Francois Trinh-Duc to race home untouched.

Contepomi added the extras but another Parra penalty left the scores at 7-6. The French were happy to keep kicking at goal - despite the jeers from the raucous crowd - but Parra's third shot from the tee drifted wide, as did a drop from Florian Fritz.

The French were looking dangerous with ball in hand. The current trend in French rugby to continually look for sucker-punch three-pointers instead to pushing for tries is a source of immense frustration.

Contepomi missed from inside his own half but Parra had no such problems when the Pumas failed to roll away (again) and the scrum-half gave France a two-point lead in the 22nd minute.

The stop-start nature of the clash saw the hosts move straight back in front though as Contepomi found the mark two minutes later.

Les Bleus replied with a fantastic try. Full-back Brice Dulin bust clear only to be stopped two metres short. Trinh-Duc's cross-field kick found Yoann Huget, who flipped it back to Picamoles volleyball-style and no one was going to stop the charging number eight from scoring.

Parra missed the conversion and another relatively easy penalty, meaning Contepomi was able to cut the gap to just a single point on the stroke of half time.

The French opened a seven-point gap as Parra found the mark soon after the restart before adding another three pointer when Pumas flank Tomas Leonardi was sent to the sin bin for a blatant offside when France were in full flight.

Les Bleus were unable to make their numerical advantage count however and Contepomi was again on target to leave the scores at 20-16 going into the final quarter.

Frederic Michalak had came on for Trinh-Duc as the French went in search of the killer blow. Indeed the winning score would come from a move initiated by Michalak, but for the wrong team.

The Toulon-bound playmaker made a darting run into the Pumas 22 but Fulgence Ouedraogo was unable to hang onto the offload. The ball was snapped up by the men in white and quickly sent out to Montero, who turned on the afterburners and sprinted 70m to score.

France had a late tilt at the Pumas defence but the game ended - appropriately - with yet another French knock-on.

The rematch is next Saturday in Tucaman.

Man of the match: What would Argentina do without Felipe Contepomi?

Moment of the match: Huget's pass inside to set up Picamoles was classic but it was outdone by Montero's try which sent the Córdoba crowd wild.

The scorers:

For Argentina:
Tries: Agulla, Montero
Cons: Contepomi 2
Pens: Contepomi 3

For France:
Try: Picamoles
Pens: Parra 5

Yellow cards: Leonardi (Argentina - 53rd min - cynical offside)

Argentina: 15 Roman Miralles, 14 Belisario Agulla, 13 Joaquin Tuculet, 12 Felipe Contepomi (c), 11 Manuel Montero, 10 Ignacio Mieres, 9 Martin Landajo, 8 Tomas Leonardi, 7 Tomas De la Vega, 6 Julio Farias Cabello, 5 Esteban Lozada, 4 Benjamin Macome, 3 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, 2 Bruno Postiglioni, 1 Eusebio Guinazu.
Replacements: 16 Andres Bordoy, 17 Pablo Henn, 18 Rodrigo Bruno, 19 Rodrigo Baez, 20 Tomas Cubelli, 21 Benjamin Urdapilleta, 22 Facundo Barrea.

France: 15 Brice Dulin, 14 Jean Marcellin Buttin, 13 Wesley Fofana, 12 Florian Fritz, 11 Yoann Huget , 10 Francois Trinh-Duc, 9 Morgan Parra , 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Fulgence Ouedraogo, 6 Wenceslas Lauret, 5 Yoan Maestri, 4 Pascal Pape (c), 3 David Attoub, 2 Dimitri Szarzewski, 1 Yvan Watremez.
Replacements: 16 Christopher Tolofua, 17 Vincent Debaty, 18 Romain Taofifenua, 19 Alexandre Lapandry, 20 Maxime Machenaud, 21 Frederic Michalak, 22 Maxime Mermoz.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3559_7820701,00.html

M

Moono75

God forbid someone could be distinctive and stand out. The Argies jersey was a nice one, now it looks like VISA corporate wear.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm disappointed that the games v Italy and v France were not televised in Australia.
ESPN, I believe, have the footage, yet ESPN Australia didn't show these games.
Fox Sports seem to prefer show World Championship Tiddly Winks etc rather than televise Argentine Test Rugby.
Yet again, Rugby Union loses.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
For those interested, Canada vs Italy over the weekend. Tight match, 11,000 crowd aswell. Good for Canadian rugby.

And also the highlights of Fiji vs Scotland
[

A

Argie fan

Hi, I’m Argentine and a “pumas” supporter.
First, I want to congratulate for this excellent forum. Second I apologize for my poor English.
About the Nike jersey, really nobody likes it in Argentine, but Nike said that this new jersey is JUST for the June window, (the 3 matches vs Italy and France), in fact this jersey isn't for sale.
Nike promises that a new, and still not unveiled official jersey, will be release for TRC matches.
We (all argentine supporters) hope it will be at least near “our classical jersey design”.
Tank you.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
First, I want to congratulate for this excellent forum. Second I apologize for my poor English.
About the Nike jersey, really nobody likes it in Argentine, but Nike said that this new jersey is JUST for the June window, (the 3 matches vs Italy and France), in fact this jersey isn't for sale.
Nike promises that a new, and still not unveiled official jersey, will be release for TRC matches.
We (all argentine supporters) hope it will be at least near “our classical jersey design”.
Tank you.
welcome Argie fan.
I hope all Argie fans such as yourselves stick up for your classic jersey.
I am glad that there is just such a jersey in our house.
If you all hate the design campaign against it.
Years ago the Wallabies jersey was changed to a mostly green with a 'gay' looking splash of gold on it.
We hated it, and we made this louldly known.
That jersey did not stay long and we are back to the Gold we love. However atm we still have to have Qantas sponsor name on the front, I think such sponsorship naming rights are here to stay on all jerseys.
Are you in Argentina or in Oz?

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Conversely, good on the All Blacks for being so protective of their jersey's integrity.

Yes good on the ABs. Also great that Adidas is their major sponsor so they don't have a logo across the chest. I think the ABs regular playing jersey is the only one made by Adidas in any sport that doesn't have the three stripes on the shoulders. The exception being Argentina's RWC 2011 jersey, probably due to the IRB's restrictions on non RWC sponsors.

Tank you.

Thanks for the update. Nike's rugby jerseys are a bit hit and miss, eg England's previous Sevens and away jerseys. Look forward to seeing the new Argentina Nike jersey when they play in TRC later this year.

T

TOCC

I'm sorry but that is very poor. Argentina were the ones that wanted inclusion in the RC. The condition was that they picked their best team. Why would they select Contepomi for the June Tests if they knew he had an out cluase to not play in the RC. for pre-season training!

he is retiring, no different to what Nathan Sharpe originally planned to
do

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't see anything wrong with Contepomi playing during the June tests even if he's not available for TRC. Any country will want it's best players to play as long as possible and as many games as they can. One of the big problems for Argentina, with regard to player availability, is that a lot of their top players play in France and England where the clubs have more power than in any other country. The clubs there don't bend over backwards to ensure the success of their national team and when they do have to release players for their own nation they reply heavily on their foreign stars. Because of that they rarely agree to clauses that would release foreign players for tests.

The way forward for Argentina in relation to this would be to pick mostly Argentina based players along with those that can get released from European clubs. In the long term Argentinian players probably need to be playing Super rugby so that their club and national seasons align better and players are playing top end club rugby. With the SA, NZ & Aus franchises being largely closed to foreigners the only way for that to happen would be with the introduction of some Argentinian based franchises to the Super competition.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
he is retiring, no different to what Nathan Sharpe originally planned to
do
TOC, slightly different to Sharpie. He is retirement at the end of the Super rugby season which is before the RC. Contepomi is still playing in Europe after the RC. The cynic in me is disappointed he is happy to take the money for another season with Stade Francais but he can't play in some of the 6 games for his country during such an important time for Argentine rugby:

I'm going to take four weeks holiday and then I'll participate in the pre-season preparations with Stade Francais.
"Obviously if the coaches want me, I'll always be there. But I don't think I'll be able to participate in the [Rugby Championship].
It's not about retirement its about doing what SF wants.

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
It's not about retirement its about doing what SF wants.
People have known about him not playing TRC for a long time. Not even in Argentina are they speaking about it anymore, they don't seem upset at all.
He was set to retire after the RWC anyway. It's been a while since he's not an international class fly half, Argentina won't really miss him.