• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In my experience Argentinian fans are like we Irish, they'll travel anywhere to support their team. Where ever the Aus v Arg games are held there will be a passionate, colourful and noisey support for the Pumas. It wont take long for the numbers to swell over the next few years.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Yeah... why would they want large crowds and bigger revenue?!?!

Anyways, they really should've played this one in Melbourne at least...

Because they probably don't expect a big crowd, at least until The Puma's show they can be competitive. So you wouldn't like to see this game rotated around & seen in places like Canberra & Gosford? As an aside, what games are scheduled for Melbourne this year?

C

Cave Dweller

In my experience Argentinian fans are like we Irish, they'll travel anywhere to support their team. Where ever the Aus v Arg games are held there will be a passionate, colourful and noisey support for the Pumas. It wont take long for the numbers to swell over the next few years.
You are spot on. We do enjoy our sports and our woman love to tag along. That is our less noisy and very cool and calm rugby supporters.

Boca-Juniors-fans-FILES-B-007.jpg

No do not worry. That is not us but the other but ugly side of football supporters. Like all countries have hooligans and gangs they do exist in football here as well. But they are into making money selling parking space and tickets. Unfortunately there is the slums where the only way out is football. Either player or selling tickets and space for parking for notorious gangs/syndicates. They beat each other up and all sorts of stuff happen after the games specially in the poor areas. I think you all have seen how fast a Argentinian football referee can run with a mob behind him. That is the ugly side but the football hooligan side. Whole different from the Argentinian supporters supporting different sports. With football is just a few bad apples but you only need 3 guys to start a riot in football than with any other thing. So do not worry you wont see us hanging on your stadium fences like that unless you get Boca Juniors to come play there. La Doce is the passion of Boca. La Doce means Twelve man btw. They are the twelve man and can make Boca unbeatable with their massive support.

C

Cave Dweller

how much do those seats costs? :)

And to think we throw people out for throwing a beach ball.
Oh in football and Boca they throw police out lol A football referee needs know the football laws, not give penalties against Boca or if he does he must make sure Boca do not lose because of that and the best skill of all he needs is climbing a fence under 5 seconds. lol It only happens sometimes like once or twice a year in football luckily
Read this
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/21/argentina-football-gangs-barra-bravas

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If they're like that for Boca juniors I dread to think what they do when the Boca seniors run out ;)
In all seriousness, that is frightening. I'm hoping it's not like that at the rugby. I'd like to attend some games over there one day.

C

Cave Dweller

If they're like that for Boca juniors I dread to think what they do when the Boca seniors run out ;)
In all seriousness, that is frightening. I'm hoping it's not like that at the rugby. I'd like to attend some games over there one day.
No lol nowhere near that. Most of those fans are passion sports lovers. It is just a handful causing the problems and stirring things up cause they smoke crack. The fighting normally happens in the poorer areas (slums) and not inside the football stadium itself. Other footballing countries the same things happen with hooligans. In rugby you dont see that. You will enjoy the country. You will see England, Spain, Texas, Middle East here in the buildings food etc etc. If you like meat you will love it. We rugby fans like beer and beer and good company and woman....

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nah from my experience with Argentina Rugby supporters they are polite and friendly and you'll have great fun if you're mixed in with some of them at the RC games. As Cave Dweller pointed out the hooligan element is on soccer and the rugby fans are a totally different breed.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Yeah... why would they want large crowds and bigger revenue?!?!

Anyways, they really should've played this one in Melbourne at least...
Exactly, because we have a decent South American Expat population here. Don't know why the obsession is with the Gold Coast atm, it's a graveyard for sports. The only reason the Suns are there, is because the AFL are propping them up. The Sevens was a disaster.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Correct me if I'm wrong, Rugby is a mostly middle-class sport in Argentina. Most of the Hooligan firms etc. are usually working class associated. Part of a deeper social issue and gang mentality.

You do find though the supporter tactics cross over. Songs, tifos, smoke, flares etc. from what I've read and seen. A similar thing happens in France.

C

Cave Dweller

Correct me if I'm wrong, Rugby is a mostly middle-class sport in Argentina. Most of the Hooligan firms etc. are usually working class associated. Part of a deeper social issue and gang mentality.

You do find though the supporter tactics cross over. Songs, tifos, smoke, flares etc. from what I've read and seen. A similar thing happens in France.
You find them in football period. Hooligan firms pray on the poor giving them a chance of a income. Normally connected to football teams. Corruption goes deep in football. In rugby not as rugby tickets are cheaper than football plus the rivaly with local derbies is not there. There is no Boca vs Independiente in rugby

C

Cave Dweller

Juan Figallo

J-15-Figallo_%20Juan.jpg

• Position: Forward (1 st line - column)
  • Birth: Skip
  • Height: 1.9 m
  • Weight: 115kg
  • Tests: 9
  • Captain:
  • Test Debut: 26/06/2010 vs. France
  • Current Team:
    Montpellier (FFR)
Juan Figallo (born in Salta, March 25, 1988) is an Argentine rugby union footballer. He currently plays prop for his club, Montpellier. Juan Figallo was convened for the first time the Pumas coach Santiago Phelan on for the test match against South Africa, played in August 2008. The pillar made his debut in an Argentine team in 2006 as part of the National Team Under 19 years faced Samoa.
He started playing rugby at the Jockey Club of Salta and is currently serving in the French club Montpellier, along with several Argentines.
Figallo is a very strong player and a good weight. In 2010, he played for the Pumas in the international windows in June and November. In the 2007 World Cup, John was 19 and had asked his dad to take him to France to watch the World Cup, to which the father replied that only go to the World Cup as part of the Pumas. Four years later, "Chipi" fulfilled his dream and played his first World Cup in New Zealand, where he played five games played in the Argentine team.

He was the player of the pool and the prop came into the World Cup with only four caps but has become the mainstay of a side whose game plan is so dependent on the set piece. Juan was named "Player of Pool B" at the 2011 Rugby World Cup. Juan was also named as the best right prop at the 2011 Rugby World Cup. A Puma who is truly a Test match animal.

Manuel Carizza

J-11-Carizza_%20Manuel.jpg

• Position: Forward (2 nd line)
  • Birth: Rosario
  • Height: 2.02 m
  • Weight: 119kg
  • Tests: 23
  • Captain:
  • Test Debut: 04/12/2004 vs. South Africa
  • Current Team:
    Biarritz Olympique (FFR)
Manuel Carizza was one of the players who had an outstanding performance at the 2005 Junior World that took place in Mendoza. This performance gave the pass to join the Pumas, and since his first appearance, has always been considered by the coaches.
Currently, Manuel played in Biarritz Olympique and is a good choice for line-outs because of his size and ability to handle the ball in the air.
In 2011, played in June against the French Barbarians and demonstrated a high level, which gave him the chance to be one of 30 chosen to represent Argentina in the World Cup New Zealand 2011, a dream that had been postponed in 2007.

C

Cave Dweller

pampas.png
120px-Logo_Western_Province_Rugby.svg.png

After a rest over Easter weekend the Pampas XV face their hardest match of the 2012 Vodacom Cup so far against the undefeated Western Province on Saturday, the Argentines have had to fight hard for their three wins since their opening defeat to the Eastern Province Kings. In this match they will have to up their game.
Team News: Despite this being the Pampas XV's strongest opponents as yet, the coaches still haven't decided to select the 100% strongest XV and continue to heavily rotate the squad. Examples include the omission of the on form Tomás Cubelli and key goal kicker Santiago González Iglesias only on the bench, the half backs have been swapping throughout the tournament.

Also Bruno Postiglioni starts at tighthead prop replacing Juan Gómez, meaning he has started at all three front row positions over the tournament. Whilst it seemed the coaches were going to give him a run at hooker over the tournament, he has gone back to being switched around the front row. He definitely seems the new Guiñazu.

There is also no place yet for Leonardo Senatore who has returned to the Pampas XV squad after being released by Toulon after Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe returned from injury for them.

Pampas XV: 15 Román Miralles, 14 Facundo Barrea, 13 Lisandro Gómez Lopez, 12 Gabriel Ascárate, 11 Ramiro Moyano; 10 Benjamín Madero, 9 Martín Landajo; 1 Francisco Piccinini, 2 Emiliano Coria, 3 Bruno Postiglioni; 4 Julio Farías Cabello, 5 Mariano Galarza; 6 Tomás Leonardi, 7 Rodrigo Báez, 8 Lisandro Ahualli

Suplentes : 16 Roberto Tejerizo, 17 Germán Aráoz, 18 Santiago Guzmán, 19 Genaro Fessia; 20 Tomás Cubelli, 21 Santiago González Iglesias, 22 Matías Orlando

Undefeated in the Vodacom Cup, the Western Province are the feeder team to the Super Rugby leaders the Stormers and are probably the favourites for the Vodacom Cup as well.

They have a much better record than the Pampas XV who are very much the underdogs for this match, they beat the only team to beat the Argentines so far the Eastern Province Kings by five points, and they also thrashed the Boland Kavaliers (the team the Pampas XV had to stage a big comeback to beat in the last minute) and scored 51 points against them.

DEMITRI.jpg

Demetri Catrikilis

A notable player to watch out for is Demetri Catrikilis, a fly half of Greek origin and who is a very highly rated prospect and seen as a future Springbok, he was a points machine for the Western Province in last year's Currie Cup campaign.

They also have good experience in Danie Poolman, Schalk Ferreira, Wikus Blaauw and former Springbok Hilton Lobberts all of whom have a fair amount of Super Rugby experience.

In the Pampas XV's previous and only meeting against the Western Province in 2010, they were narrowly defeated 19-16, the Argentines will hope to keep the result similarly close and as underdogs hope for an upset.

Western Province: 1- Schalk Ferreira, 2- Sidney Tobías, 3- Wickus Blaaw; 4- Hilton Lobberts, 5- Quinn Roux; 6- Reuben Johannes, 7- Yaasir Hartzenberg, 8- Tyrone Holmes; 9- Nick Groom (capitán), 10- Demetri Katrakilis; 11- Ederies Arendse, 12- Marcel Brache, 13- Mike Van der Spuy, 14- Danie Poolman; 15- Kurt Coleman.

Suplentes: 16- Rohan Kitshoff, 17- Tom Botha, 18- Allistair Vermaak, 19- Wihelm Van der Sluys, 20- Grant Hattingh, 21- Rick Shroeder y 22- Berton Klaas

14 April 2012
Estadio: Danie Craven Stadium, Stellenbosch.
Kick Off: 17:30 (hora local, +5 respecto de Argentina).
Referee: Stuart Berry.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Love your articles, CD, keep 'em coming. But I must take issue with you on one thing (yeh, yeh, you've all been waiting for this), wine. Argentina makes superb Malbec and excellent Rose but not much else. There's a wine show in Australia, the Five Nations Wine Challenge, with team entries from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand and two new competitors, Chile and Argentina. I have the pleasure of acting as a steward for this show, mainly to broaden my experience of other countries' wines. Argentina, and Chile, do seem to have some way to go to produce as good a range of wine as the old Tri Nations crew. The Saffer and Hawkes Bay Bordeaux blends are simply outstanding while Australia wipes the floor with Shiraz, with a bit of cheek from South Africa and, lately, Argentina. If there are any decent whites in South America the team captains didn't put them forward for this show; Australian Rieslings, NZ Chardonnays and Saffer Chenin Blancs were a class above South American Sauvignon Blancs and Torrentes.

We'll meet one day and settle this argument over a few bottles of vino.

C

Cave Dweller

Loved your articles, CD, keep 'em coming. But I must take issue with you on one thing (yeh, yeh, you've all been waiting for this), wine. Argentina makes superb Malbec and excellent Rose but not much else. There's a wine show in Australia, the Five Nations Wine Challenge, with team entries from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand and two new competitors, Chile and Argentina. I have the pleasure of acting as a steward for this show, mainly to broaden my experience of other countries' wines. Argentina, and Chile, do seem to have some way to go to produce as good a range of wine as the old Tri Nations crew. The Saffer and Hawkes Bay Bordeaux blends are simply outstanding while Australia wipes the floor with Shiraz, with a bit of cheek from South Africa and, lately, Argentina. If there are any decent whites in South America the team captains didn't put them forward for this show; Australian Rieslings, NZ Chardonnays and Saffer Chenin Blancs were a class above South American Sauvignon Blancs and Torrentes.

We'll meet one day and settle this argument over a few bottles of vino.
lol I am no expert in the wine field but I can name you some good ones to try out.

2008 Bodega Chacra Cincuenta Y Cinco Pinot Noir 91
2006 Kaiken Ultra Malbec 90
From Maipu, Luján de Cuyo and Uco Valley
2006 Bodegas Krontiras Doná Silvina Reserva Malbec 87
2006 Alta Vista Alto 89
2006 Benegas Lynch Beneges Syrah 86
2005 Andeluna Cellars Grand Reserve Cabernet Franc 92
2006 Melipal Malbec Reserve Malbec 93
2007 Achaval Ferrer Malbec Mendoza 88
2008 La Guarda El Guardado Syrah 82
2007 Nieto Senetiner Limited Edition Bonarda 92
2005 Carinae SA Prestige 93
2007 Fabre Montmayou Gran Reserva Malbec 92
2008 Bodega Noemia J Alberto Malbec 89
2006 Vina Alicia Cuarzo Petit Verdot 95
2006 Finca La Chamiza Martin Alsina 89
2006 Finca Flichman Dedicado 91
2006 Bodega Catena Zapata Catena Alta Malbec 94
2006 Trapiche Single Vineyard Adriana Venturin Malbec 93
2004 RJ Vinedos RJ Malbec Malbec 90
2006 Familia Zuccardi Zeta 93
2006 Bodega Vistalba Corte A 89
2006 Luigi Bosca Icono 92
2005 Bodega Benegas Lynch Benegas Libertad Vineyards Cabernet Franc 83
2005 Bodega Catena Zapata Catena Zapata Adrianna Vineyard Malbec 91
2006 Finca Flichman Paisaje de Tupungato 92
2006 Bodega Callia Gran Callia 95
2005 Bodega Pascual Toso Magdalena Toso 89
2007 Bodega Noemia Malbec 95

I had to use my phone a friend card for all these as he is a wine drinker and sort of know which is not cow piss.

C

Cave Dweller

newvod_265x105.png

Pampas XV lost to Western Province
u_madero_300x200.jpg

Standard Bank Pampas XV fell 20-16 to Western Province team that so far only accumulates in the Vodacom Cup success, by the fifth day of the event. Try Facundo Barrea and three penalties and a conversion of Benjamin Madero. The bonus points earned by the Argentine defense kept the team within four that are classified into the quarter-finals.

The story did not start well in Stellenbosch, under a slight drizzle. Demetri Katrakilis rarely missed with his boot and a further setback with Danie Poolman ingoal arrival. 11-0 in 27 minutes. However, the score against seemed to be the trigger for the recovery team led by Daniel Hourcade and Mauricio Reggiardo who found the right foot off of Benjamin Madero through two penalties.

After a very balanced passage, again the discipline began to bother Pampas XV, who saw Demetri Katrakilis added nine points with a good performance for his club. However, there was time for illusion: Facundo Barrea came to try and lit Argentine dreams, which, after conversion of Madero, were just four points behind.

They went, they fought and dreamed. But they did not second the combined setback Hourcade and Reggiardo. At least got a point against the strongest team of the tournament and allowed them to stay at the fourth location of the Vodacom Cup against the threat of Boland and Free State.

POINTS IN THE FIRST HALF: 3 ', PEN Demetri Katrakilis (WP), 18', try to Danie Poolman (WP), 27 ', PEN Demetri Katrakilis (WP), 35', PEN Benjamin Madero (PXV); 40, PEN Benjamin Madero (PXV). HT Result: Pampas XV 6 - Western Province 11.

POINTS IN THE SECOND HALF: 16 ', PEN Demetri Katrakilis (WP), 18', PEN Benjamin Madero, 26 ', PEN Demetri Katrakilis (WP), 28', PEN Demetri Katrakilis (WP), 32 ', Barrea Facundo try, converted by Benjamin Madero (PXV).

After the defeat of Pampas XV against Western Province, statements of Daniel Hourcade, Thomas and Martin Landajo Leonardi.

Daniel Hourcade (Coach Pampas XV):

"It was a tough match in which we always try to play and set out to attack constantly. However we have a very tough, rough, they defended very well and allowed us to breach their defense. They were very orderly, despite the wear and deployment we did, we could not realize the situations generated. On offense played simple, and took the few offenses that we made. "

"We planned the party so that he and we played well, but we lacked effectiveness when we penetrate the defense. They complicate us the output of the rucks, and that is why we have to grow at the point of contact and the cleaning rucks, to harm by the tips. We played a good game but we could not win very little. "

"I think we still depend on us, because if we win our remaining two games can be classified. Will improve key aspects that were not effective today and maintain the volume of play. The players left everything on the court, had much attitude and that is very valuable. Now we must focus on the work week to get the best party. "

Thomas Leonardi (Third Line Pampas XV):

"I still could not discuss much the game, but it was a hard meeting, where they had a very good defense that cost us fail. We controlled possession but were not effective in the movements. Also rescued the game that we wanted, but we lacked aggressiveness in order to overcome one by one. We had a great attitude and never got off the arms. "

"They were very neat in the reorganization defense, with much display and a great replacement. That would not let us penetrate on offense and did not allow us to be effective in situations that we generate."

"We are very confident in ourselves for the remainder of the tournament. The goal is to grow every game, and come from the first date and we must learn from this defeat. We now have a week to prepare for another tough match."

Martin Landajo (Scrum Half Pampas XV):

"We have a little helpless because in the end we get to try and came close to winning. We played a good game, where we control the pace of play, but could not get to try."

"We had a good control of the ball, control the pace, but could not break a great defense, solid in the one to one and with good replacement. Despite not having achieved the situations that we generate, we were actors and that's important ".

"Now we have two more games that are very important to achieve the goal of next round. We are very confident we will leave all this week to get to the best of the next game and to correct mistakes."

PRESS: UAR