• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina

C

Cave Dweller

DN-807-estadio%20unico.jpg

At the Estadio Ciudad de La Plata, which will host the meeting between the Pumas and the All Blacks for the Rugby Championship on September 29, various tasks are being made for improvement and fine tuning, especially for competitive football and rugby matxhes in the next few months. Development is being done in the coming months, according to the Secretary of Sports of the Province.

The tasks are underway at the Stadium were announced at a presentation held yesterday, led by the executive director of stadium management, Matthias Sejem, accompanied by Fernando Diaz Sevigne, director of Infrastructure, Safety and Maintenance Stadium, Ruben Garcia, responsible for lawn maintenance, and Alfredo Schappi, the canchero Stadium.

Sejem and Garcia showed on the field work carried out replanting, according to authorities, will be seen in the local football fixtures.

C

Cave Dweller

I'll never forget the Jaquars Boet, they provide us with international rugby when we played our own version of WC in the CC format.

So it look like you wont use Velez Sarsfield Stadium anymore. The last test we played there, your winger fall down that sloot and Jean de Villiers caught him with one hand. Thought that was one of the funnies I have ever saw on a test pitch.

I have my own PaarlPedia on this forum, my thoughts on the strength of the 1981 Bok.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/1981-springbok-tour-to-nz-30-years-old.9487/
lol at that thread. People should look at the 30 players on the field and not the politics around that. There is no winner in a argument that concerns politics and religion. Thats why I usually try to avoid them.

You cost me a trip all the way to google translator to find out what a sloot is lol. I think a ditch is better than a naked supporter tackling the players IMO off course its always OK if its a lady doing that. But any case before the minds wonder the stadiums and fields got huge improvements around it as we want to host the 2023 world cup. I also hope with this thread that people can have some insight into the country, development and lend some support for us to host it. We do have the ability to host and have the ability to be competitive.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
R365 Report on U20 match
Little Baby Bokkies draw

Tue, 17 Apr 2012 23:14
The South African Under-20 Invitational XV, mostly of Under-19 players, drew 23-23 with the Argentinian Under-20 team at the Markötter Stadium in Stellenbosch late on Tuesday afternoon.

Both teams were much changed from the teams which met on Saturday when the South African Under-20 team won 51-19.
The South African team was completely changed while the Pumitas changed 11 in their starting team as both countries prepared for the 2012 Junior World Championships to take place in the Western Cape in June.
The South Africans, who played at speed, went into the break leading 15-10 and at one stage led 23-13 with seven minutes to go, but two tries earned the visitors a draw, second by Germán Klubus coming just before the final whistle.
SA Under-20 coach Dawie Theron said afterwards he was happy with the result: "We had twelve new players who joined the squad only this week, and so a draw was a good result against a more experienced team.
"We gave the ball away too easily at times and I would have liked us to keep our shape a bit better, but a draw is good because they had to work really hard to keep us from winning the match," added Theron.
The Pumitas coach, Bernardo Urdaneta, was also a satisfied man: "We improved from last week, especially from a disciplinary point of view. We showed that we can play with the ball in hand but now we must work on our kicking game.
"We will make many changes for the last game and the aim is to pick our best selection for Saturday when we play at the Danie Craven Stadium."
The scorers:
For SA Under-20 Invitational XV:
Tries:
Nel, Adendorf, Coetzee
Con: Leyds
Pens: Leyds 2
For Argentina Under-20:
Tries:
Ezcurra, Garcia Botta, Klubus
Con: Poet
Pens: Poet, Paz
The teams:
SA U20 Invitational XV: 15 Dillyn Leyds, 14 Quinton Norris, 13 Johnny Kotze, 12 Kobus van Wyk, 11 Ruwellyn Isbell, 10 Harold Vorster, 9 Hlanhla Hlungwane, 8 Cobus Nel, 7 Leneve Dames, 6 Shaun Adendorf, 5 Marvin Orrie, 4 Jacques du Plessis, 3 Neethling Fouché, 2 Stephan Coetzee, 1 Marzuq Maarman.
Replacements: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 Andrew Beerwinkel, 18 Henkus van Wyk, 19 Lungelo Chonco, 20 Rayn Smid, 21 Wian van der Walt, 22 Unconfirmed, 23 Unconfirmed.
Argentina Under-20: 15 Gonzalo Ruiz, 14 Santiago Cordero, 13 Joaquín Paz, 12 Juan Ignacio Brex, 11 Franco Cuaranta, 10 Sebastián Poet (captain), 9 Felipe Ezcurra, 8 Federico Aguiar, 7 Leandro Ramela, 6 Pablo Matera, 5 Rodrigo Parad Heit, 4 Ladislao Uriburu, 3 Mariano Sánchez, 2 Germán Lefort, 1 Matías Sambrán.
Replacements: 16 Santiago García Botta, 17 Santiago Iglesias, 18 Tomás Bruno, 19 Gaspar Oberti, 20 Lautaro Casado, 21 Rodolfo Ambrosio, 22 Juan Cappiello, 23 Germán Klubus.
Referee: Matt Kemp (South Africa)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Bolded the Bokkies 15. Dillyn Leyds. He played for Bishops one year after Sam Lane and some talent. Had a good game yesterday.

Some of his schoolboy action for Bishops

C

Cave Dweller

R365 Report on U20 match
aye thanks for that PB. Previous game the red card hurt them as SA ran away with the game. Good result as both coaches are trying to find their best line up

Bolded the Bokkies 15. Dillyn Leyds. He played for Bishops one year after Sam Lane and some talent. Had a good game yesterday.

Some of his schoolboy action for Bishops
Bishops is that school in Rondebosch is this correct? My dad have a few friends living there. Just trees and schools over there lol

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tim Swiels package

Yep Bishops, Wynberg, Sacs, Rondebosch High Schools is all around Newlands. The heart of SA Rugby. Interesting that Bishops deliver outstanding 10 talent since 2009. Sam Lane will be playing for the Reds this weekend, Dillyn who is an outstanding talent and then they delivered Tim Swiel who practise with the Stormers sqaud at the beginning of the year.

C

Cave Dweller

Sam is Tim Lane, the Wallaby player and backline coach boy. Sam went to Bishops while coach in SA. Jake White boys are also Bishoppers.
Oh Tim Lane. I saw a match once where the cricketer Herchelle Gibbs played for WP u/19. He was one awesome flyhalf.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Wanted to ask you if Argentinia big is on rugby in schools or is it club driven like most countries. In SA most afrikaans schools have rugby as their winter sport and producing the top players. Know you have been reading about the Paarl Gym with Louis Koen example but to compare it to Bishops money wise you are talking about Paarl Gyms school fees of R20,000 to Bishops R200,000 boarding school included per year. The differnse is that Paarl Gym is the first afrikaans school in SA and put afrikaans on paper 153 years ago, so its very big in the rugby culture. Old Boys/Girls and parents play a massive role in promoting, supporting and sponsoring the sport. If we play Bishops at their home you'll probably have more Paarl Gym supporters then Bishops supporters. One day I'll put up a piccie of our rugby supporters and the amount of parents attending is just unbelievable. Our Prymary school for example only have 600 kids 250 boys , so we hardly gets two teams per age group, but for some reason (proud of the jersey) our A teams kick arse all around Cape Town schools.

Anyway sorry its an Argentina thread and lost my mind here. :oops:

C

Cave Dweller

Wanted to ask you if Argentinia big is on rugby in schools or is it club driven like most countries. In SA most afrikaans schools have rugby as their winter sport and producing the top players. Know you have been reading about the Paarl Gym with Louis Koen example but to compare it to Bishops money wise you are talking about Paarl Gyms school fees of R20,000 to Bishops R200,000 boarding school included per year. The differnse is that Paarl Gym is the first afrikaans school in SA and put afrikaans on paper 153 years ago, so its very big in the rugby culture. Old Boys/Girls and parents play a massive role in promoting, supporting and sponsoring the sport. If we play Bishops at their home you'll probably have more Paarl Gym supporters then Bishops supporters. One day I'll put up a piccie of our rugby supporters and the amount of parents attending is just unbelievable. Our Prymary school for example only have 600 kids 250 boys , so we hardly gets two teams per age group, but for some reason (proud of the jersey) our A teams kick arse all around Cape Town schools.

Anyway sorry its an Argentina thread and lost my mind here. :oops:
I don't mind. I love learning other peoples cultures and listen to how differ sometimes small but in their unique way. It is very popular, of course no as much as soccer, for Argentinians soccer is like religion, may be more.
Used to be years ago "for rich people" but not anymore, there are clubs in suburbs of Buenos Aires where anybody can play. Anyway most of players start playing in privates schools since is more traditional on those schools to have a rugby team.
A friend of mine used to play rugby where he was in a poor highschool. They made the first team ever in that schools history and they had to fight with all the authorities, because they didn't let them use the name of the school (they were big in school soccer tournaments) lol
But they have tournaments and rugby festivals, clinics all over the country now like the ones I posted on the previous page. Volunteer coaches visit here and help out and have a nice holiday. Its even advertised at travel and holiday agencies. Have a holiday while you have fun with the kids teaching them all kinds of rugby skills.

At least in Argentina, from an early age you are linked to a club, a group of friends, a society. Rugby has a long history of amateurism. Football started to be professional in the 1930s, while rugby didn’t get rid of those restrictions on professionalism until the 1990s. There is a century of amateur values in our activity before they becoming professionals. Filepe Contepomi said it so well with the following

Our greatest fault is to think that we need to reinvent the wheel. However, we need to keep the amateur infrastructure in order to develop professional rugby.

He of course study at the same school I was fortunate enough to attend thats the Cardenal Newman School, run by the Irish Christian Brothers, in the outskirts of the city which is a private school. I injured my knee unfortunately and went the academic path where I ended up where I am currently in Brazil. But one never forget where you come from. We are a very proud nation and where we come from. I was just fortunate enough to have opportunities available to me. A lot of kids do not have that but its slowly changing and thats why its important to host a Rugby World Cup.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I asked the Club/School question because I think thats its the very important structure of the sport. You have to grow it there. When 7 year olds start playing rugby they attrack a whole family supporting to the sport and thats where you get your rugby culture from. In SA watching two 7 year old teams getting stuck in one another (I call this ballet rugby) the supporters around the field is something to watch and to appreciate. They are the most loudest and passionate supporters you'd get in SA rugby.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Why should the ARU give a flying fuck about the expat South American population? It's an Australian home fixture.....The Gold Coast is a pretty major city, close for a lot of supporters from northern NSW, close enough to Brisbane, which, because you're so concerned, has a pretty good population of expat Argies etc. Plus, if my experience at the World Cup is any indication, a lot of supporters might make the trip over & give the local tourism a bit of a boost.
Helps spread the gospel outside the usual centres. It's a good move imo. Where would you have liked to have seen the game? Hopefully this fixture will be shared around to some of the smaller centres/stadiums, like Gosford, ACT, Townsville etc.
no to smaller stadiums and lovey dovey sharing. Play where the crowds, both large and passionate are. You want a fortress for your national games.

C

Cave Dweller

I asked the Club/School question because I think thats its the very important structure of the sport. You have to grow it there. When 7 year olds start playing rugby they attrack a whole family supporting to the sport and thats where you get your rugby culture from. In SA watching two 7 year old teams getting stuck in one another (I call this ballet rugby) the supporters around the field is something to watch and to appreciate. They are the most loudest and passionate supporters you'd get in SA rugby.
lol I take it the its mothers as they are very protective over children when they start with their first sport

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
no to smaller stadiums and lovey dovey sharing. Play where the crowds, both large and passionate are. You want a fortress for your national games.

There is no way you're going to get large crowds to flock to matches against what are perceived as minor nations. And even against the All Blacks or Springboks it's hard to generate a "passionate" or "fortress" atmosphere at Homebush, Sydney's answer to the Grand Canyon.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There is no way you're going to get large crowds to flock to matches against what are perceived as minor nations. And even against the All Blacks or Springboks it's hard to generate a "passionate" or "fortress" atmosphere at Homebush, Sydney's answer to the Grand Canyon.
Couldn't disagree more Bruce.
The Grand Canyon has a viewing platform which enables you to get closer to the action than Homebush:
SkywalkFromOutsideLedge.jpg

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
lol I take it the its mothers as they are very protective over children when they start with their first sport
Ja our mothers dont play rugby but they sure are the best when it come to supporting. Most top rugby schools here is boys schools but there are a few mix boys and girls schools and the mix ones always have the trump cards in the girls supporting. A typical Interschool match success depend on the first teams (u18A) win and all the other sports (rugby, hockey,netball) ended before the main match. The girls provide the spirit and I always feel sorry for Paarl Boys High when I hear their thick voices when they do their sing songs. Paarl Gym hold the trumps with our girls.

C

Cave Dweller

Couldn't disagree more Bruce.
The Grand Canyon has a viewing platform which enables you to get closer to the action than Homebush:
SkywalkFromOutsideLedge.jpg
grandcanyonskywalk_1.jpg

After reading many travel brochures and reports of "The Best viewing platform in the world" reports I took a trip down to the USA to watch this wonder. Got there to only find it is in a Indian reserve park in the Grand Canyon west region and not in the National Park. No biggy I thought. On the bus and here we hit a dirt road. 10 or 20 Miles of dirt road to get to that Skywalk. Ok thats Ok I got my camera everything with me. Sorry sir no personal possessions allowed on that Skywalk!! That was after I paid about half of the reservation some toll which cost $75 that time probably more now. You can not take a picture there. You have to put your stuff in lockers and buy photographs from their viewing stations. $29 each. Stuff like this you wont see in any travel brochure or at the website of it. But ask anyone who went there how it was designed to make you waste your money. You have to walk on a carpet and your not allowed to walk on the glass. So you drive 27mi., 10+ mi. of that unpaved road to get to the actual visitors center. The center is a temporary structure, and they made you purchase a tour package that one don’t even want. I was soo disappointed that I took the 3 hours drive to Las Vegas and had more fun there standing still on the strip for 2 minutes than what I spent the few minutes your allowed to watch the thing and forced to buy stupid souvenirs while avoiding cattle dung getting in the bus. For a 1 mile trip with the bus from the car park is $43 alone lol. So I think Homebush might be Ceasers Palace compared to that Skywalk scam

C

Cave Dweller

Roncero set to retire?
1978.2.jpg

Stade Francais have confirmed that Rodrigo Roncero will not renew his contract with the club.

Aged 35, Roncero now looks set to bring down the curtain on his professional rugby career. Roncero arrived at Stade from Gloucester in 2004 and has made 151 appearances for the Parisian giants.

He has played in 48 Tests for the Argentinean national side and formed an epic front-row alongside Stade's current forwards coach Mario Ledesma and fellow prop Martin Scelzo.

With Stade hosting Perpignan on Saturday, it looks set to be Roncero's final outing for the team in front of their home crowd. Stade coach Michael Cheika has called on the team to put in a solid performance in tribute to the veteran prop.

Cheika said: "We must win for Rodrigo on Saturday to recognise everything he has brought to the club.