• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU fee structure change for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
That's a bloody lot of money for U6's. We don't have u6 in Townsville but our fees are around $190 or $200 this year for juniors (starting at u8s), but we also pay a weekly players fee of $5 a week which takes some of the sting out of that upfront component. That pays for our Townsville Rugby development staff, facility upkeep, refs and medics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I registered my son in a Sydney u/6 team. Cost for 2015 registration was $172.75
They used the Buddha system

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I applaud the way that NSWRU has shielded clubs and the fact that they at least made an attempt to stand up for the grass roots. I'd have liked to have seen them take this all the way - they seem a lot more cashed up than the ARU.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I applaud the way that NSWRU has shielded clubs and the fact that they at least made an attempt to stand up for the grass roots. I'd have liked to have seen them take this all the way - they seem a lot more cashed up than the ARU.
Townsville Rugby have done the same for its clubs, seeing as we haven't got the same support from our state body. It's at least given out clubs some breathing room to adjust and adapt for 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd like to know why Queensland Junior Rugby costs are so high and to a lesser extent NSW. ACT clubs had their first major registration at the Brumbies meet the players day. Prices ranged from $130 to $180 for a player between clubs. Given that the ACT has a hefty state levy (as does QLD) and to put an under 8 to under 18 costs clubs in the region of $118 per player excluding our costs for shorts and socks. I know our club has subsidised our players fees through sponsorship, but I am amazed about some of the junior fees being mentioned here.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can anyone help fill in the below costs for player regos? Just an example at least. If you have last year's costs as well that would be great.

Brisbane Jnr Club : approx $275 (my club)
Brisbane Snr Club:

QLD Country Jnr Club:
QLD Country Snr Club:

Sydney Jnr Club:
Sydney Snr Club:

NSW Country Jnr Club:
NSW Country Snr Club:

Act Jnr Club:
ACT Snr Club:

Melb Jnr Club:
Melb Snr Club:

Perth Jnr Club:
Perth Snr Club:

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can anyone help fill in the below costs for player regos? Just an example at least. If you have last year's costs as well that would be great.

Brisbane Snr Club:

QLD Country Jnr Club:
QLD Country Snr Club:

Sydney Jnr Club:
Sydney Snr Club:

NSW Country Jnr Club:
NSW Country Snr Club:

Act Jnr Club:$160 u7 $180 u8-u18
ACT Snr Club:$200 women and colts $250 men's grade

Last year $120 per player juniors and about $180 for seniors

Melb Jnr Club:
Melb Snr Club:

Perth Jnr Club:
Perth Snr Club:

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
I should note last year our junior costs didn't include shorts and socks in an attempt to keep fees lower for returning players. This year cost includes shorts socks training shirt and a voucher from our apparel sponsor.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Brisbane Snr Club:

QLD Country Jnr Club:
QLD Country Snr Club:

Sydney Jnr Club: 6s-7s $80, 8s-12s $160, 13s-17s $120
Sydney Snr Club:

NSW Country Jnr Club:
NSW Country Snr Club:

Act Jnr Club:
ACT Snr Club:

Melb Jnr Club:
Melb Snr Club:

Perth Jnr Club:
Perth Snr Club:

Above figures are for our club, but all Manly clubs are about the same.

This includes shorts and socks.

EDIT: As a point of comparison one of the local junior league clubs charge
6s-7s - $85
8s - $145
9s-15s - $165
16s - $190
17s- $210

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)

QLD Country Jnr Club: $190 (U8-U17)
QLD Country Snr Club: $260 colts, $310 seniors

Discounts applied for subsequent children, senior students, apprentices, etc.

We also pay a weekly fee to play - this year that will increase by $2 (jnr) and $3 (snr) per week to cover the QRU state levy ($40 and $65).

We run our subs at a budgeted small loss to the club, with the shortfall recouped from efficiencies (budgets based on base numbers, increased registrations deliver some efficiencies in fixed costs), home game profits and sponsorships.

Our club has a council facility so we don't need to pay for water, but we do pay for lighting and clubhouse costs. Subs include shorts and socks, and access to merchandise discounted through sponsorships.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Brendan, out of interest, do you have a demographic which is scared off by the weekly fee? We're thinking of implementing it ourselves from next year, but wonder what problems it solves compared to simply jacking the price up $40.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
We've got a huge variety in demographics. The weekly fee until this year has been $5. That goes to the sub-union and basically pays for all of the rugby programs that the sub-union manages - development, referees, medics and facility costs (the TDRU owns a central facility where most matches are played).

I wasn't on the committee when it was first introduced but it's my understanding that the TDRU had some significant outstanding debts from the clubs and decided that the best way to manage that was to introduce a user pays system. The sport in Townsville, as well as the clubs in the TDRU sub-union have gone from strength to strength since introducing the system.

Personally, I think its a real winner - it's paid locally and managed locally - the TDRU is accountable to the clubs, and the programs are designed to grow and facilitate in ways that the clubs have real input into.

I think if you went along this route you would ask yourself why it didn't happen years ago.

In short, I don't think there are any families who won't bring their kids to junior rugby because the weekly fee is not affordable.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I will also say that I don't think price is a significant motivator for most parents as long as the club is flexible enough to manage the various needs of the demographics you cater for. I implemented a significant increase in fees because I thought we were far too cheap and the fees weren't covering the majority of our costs, and we grew as a result. I've also seen clubs implement programs with no fees and not being able to get a team together. I think low fees without a good business plan in place to move to a cost recovery model devalues the work of your volunteers.

Parents will look at the value proposition of the club and as you'd know, they generally value more highly than anything the chance for their child to participate equally, be included, be safe, and be well looked after. We targeted good coaches, apparel that was unique at the time and strongly branded the club, we ensured we always provided shorts and socks with subs so at training and on weekends kids would be wearing their branded footy shorts - kids would be on facebook posting pics from fishing in their club shorts, they'd be at the shops in their training shirts... all these things build a brand that the kids and their parents could buy into, and the culture that the club developed in providing equal opportunity to all players has been very successful.

The model in Townsville is not one that necessarily targets elite development - the schools program is the most likely to provide these opportunities because of our isolation from Brisbane. Good players have come out of Townsville and the club and rep program are good enough to produce players of a high quality (TDRU had two players in the NRC, and we had two others in the BIL Combined Country match), but imho we primarily target a participation model where people remain a part of the game for the enjoyment of the game.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Break down of our fees this year Brisbane Junior Club. 1st Boy $295.00 2nd Boy $265.00
1st
Australian Rugby Union (National Participant Insurance Levy (Junior)) $8.00
Queensland Rugby Union (Incl. National Participant Registration Fee (Jnr)) $67.50
Club Junior Rugby Union Club $219.50
Total $295.00

2nd
Australian Rugby Union (National Participant Insurance Levy (Junior)) $8.00
Queensland Rugby Union (Incl. National Participant Registration Fee (Jnr)) $67.50
Club Junior Rugby Union Club I $189.50
Total $265.00

No change from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.