• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU fee structure change for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its basically the same disconnect that happens right through rugby - ARU says one thing, member unions (and sub-unions) interpret it the way they want.

I love to criticise the ARU as much as everyone else, but the fact is there is so much invested in the running of various sub-unions in NSW that they can't have their finger on every pulse. NSWRU like to put up the shields and protect their own shit, because there is a lot of politics going on.

I'd be happy if the ARU are looking outwards for opportunities, as well as keeping the state unions honest about their shit.

Otherwise you might as well disband the state unions, shift those resources into the ARU, and effectively flatten down the structure.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Thanks for the articles by the way Barbarian. Best bit of journalism to come out of this whole situation.

Thanks mate, nice of you to say. Enjoyed doing it, a pleasant change from writing rabid opinion pieces and mid-grade pisstakes.

Andrew was really good to talk to, despite the issues with the policies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think he's saying that the NSWRU and all the unions were there when the plans were developed through the review body he mentioned in part 1. The ARU adopted the body's recommendations and expected the members to then sell it?

So was the rugby playing public asked to accept the NSWRU and equivalents as the good cop and the ARUn as the bad cop?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thanks mate, nice of you to say. Enjoyed doing it, a pleasant change from writing rabid opinion pieces and mid-grade pisstakes.

Andrew was really good to talk to, despite the issues with the policies.

Really enjoyed them and well done.
Having established a rapport maybe you can get on the inside so we know what their plans are without relying on the vested interest pfitzy correctly identifies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Income from SANZAR broadcasting is pooled and shared among the partners, with Australia expected to receive an additional $15.5 million a year, a 52 per cent increase to $45m a year.
Anyone think that once the 52% increase kicks in the fees will be wound back?
Isn't the proper model that the part of the game the generates the funding supports the part of the game that generates the players?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That certainly how the League & AFL think.
No so much Soccer.
I was talking to a Dad recently,whose son is in a rep team that seems to train 10 months a year.Subs are $2500 pa,and the rules are that parents stay the fuck away or your kid won't get picked again.there are plenty lined up waiting for a shot apparently.
Interestingly,I know probably a dozen that have been through that system and none of them stayed in the game beyond 16.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
So was the rugby playing public asked to accept the NSWRU and equivalents as the good cop and the ARUn as the bad cop?

Not sure I agree with the method. In business, if as Andrew stated, this is a significant change, the instigator of the change would want to be 100% in control of the Change Management and control the message being delivered.It's Change Management 101, at all times keep control of the message and how it is being delivered.

To simply state we told the State Unions what we were going to do and then left it to them to communicate however they wanted is simply ludicrous and hence why the message, in many instances, still is not understood. The reasons are sound for the changes but the delivery sucked. The perfect instance of this was in the SJRU President meeting when one of the presidents asked Andrew if he had consulted any club presidents on the fee increases, and he replied he had not talked to any presidents at all, simply received some reports on the comparisons to other sports. Again, Change Management 101, ensure you have spoken to people on the shop floor to understand their concerns and therefore be able to better respond to them. If your company was cutting everybody's wages by 20%, would you expect the message to come from your team leader or the Dept Head?

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
are they?
52% increase in TV revenue to be squandered on league players who don't give a toss for the game?

Fair Point probably did not explain well. When the changes were first announced many people believed (and still do due to the message not being delivered properly) that the money was going to prop up the wallabies salaries etc... When in fact it is simply going to the State Union for them to replace the funding that is being removed by the ARU (and therefore indirectly going to prop up wallabies salaries etc). Hence the overarching principle is for the Grass Roots (well NSWRU down) to fund itself with minimal (and probably in the future no funding) from the ARU. Arguments can be made on how the ARU spend their money, but given recent history, removing reliance on them is probably not a bad idea...

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
^^^^^
agree that the ARU, if the model doesn't allow, shouldn't fund grassroots. I do however, think that grassroots organisations should be able to manage their own affairs and not be bound by state policy which may not provide any benefit. This to me is at the heart of the matter. If the ARU have some desire to increase grassroots participation, they should pay for it from their professional revenue stream, if clubs or regions want to improve their competitions, they should pay for this themselves. I don't think for a second that the ARU or (in my case) the QRU are very efficient at delivering services to my region. While they are paying for it, all I can do is whinge about how shit they are, but if I'm paying for it, I should have to right to take my business elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I'd love to see someone with a bit more knowledge than I have do some review of the value of clubs and schools to the professional game. I think TWAS did an analysis on the Roar of pathways vs club - I'd be interested to see how the junior pathways that currently exist (Schools comps vs club competition) feed into professional outcomes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.