• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU take over the Western Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Foley had a big hand in signings. In fact if you remember back, he filled the roster bar one position and then left for the Force and left Cheika with a squad that he didn't have any input into.

I don't remember back. I wasn't paying that much attention to the Waratahs. :)

Ahh, I'll concede the point- there is really no value to me in arguing about it. We can all agree that Foley probably needs to move on. No point dwelling too much on the past.

M

Moono75

I think someone like Kerry Stokes would be a great fit for private ownership of the Force (Australian Capital Equity). Whilst based a lot in NSW he has a very proud association with WA, business interests here (SevenWest Media) and interstate and would enjoy seeing the Force touch up the Tahs twice a year. He has a great philanthropic record and played a bit of rugby in his younger days from memory. I would hope that Sinders would be discussing this possibility as a priority.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
hate to brag but I did already predict the ARU (Auckland Rugby Union) would take over the Western Force:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...eded-with-daily-news.13356/page-3#post-813357

Looks like its come to pass 9 years earlier than my geniuios prediction of 2025 but whatevs hashtag #rugby_expert

80bb58cd-07e3-4876-a06c-e60851997845_zps85f8e163.jpg

Reactions: mst

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Kings, Cheetahs, Force.

Save money and use one body bag.

Drop the whole thing out at sea somewhere. Don't log the coordinates.

Memorial service is BYO. No point wasting any more money on this lot.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Kings, Cheetahs, Force.

Save money and use one body bag.

Drop the whole thing out our at sea somewhere.

Memorial service is BYO. No point wasting any more money on this lot.

Harsh on the Cheetahs.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Harsh on the Cheetahs.
I don't think they will ever make the playoffs again. They have lost all their good players and de Jager will also be leaving soon.

Waste of space. Let the good players join the other franchises.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't think they will ever make the playoffs again. They have lost all their good players and de Jager will also be leaving soon.

Tahs and Reds have good players-doesn't seem to do them much good!

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)

Let's just go back to Super 12. Merge Free State with Gauteng Lions to create the Golden Cats again. Quality footballing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Let's just go back to Super 12. Merge Free State with Gauteng Lions to create the Golden Cats again. Quality footballing.

Sounds like trying to get the genie back in the bottle.

I think SARU needs to reconsider its approach on transformation. Continue the quota thing (another genie that wont go back), but refocus on grass roots to black areas and feed development programmes back through the (Currie Cup) RU provinces. They have more than enough player numbers to cope with this number of franchises and many/most of the franchises are solid.

Free State RU looks solid to me. In time it should flow through to the Lions. They dont need Gauteng.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
I reckon brush the force and leave it at 4 super sides. We don't have the cattle to support 5 super sides. The force already have 7 south afrikans in their 23. The other 4 franchises would be stronger, more competitive internally & make for a better wallabies side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I reckon brush the force and leave it at 4 super sides. We don't have the cattle to support 5 super sides. The force already have 7 south afrikans in their 23. The other 4 franchises would be stronger, more competitive internally & make for a better wallabies side.

We are obliged to field five sides.

T

TOCC

Perhaps they should remove all recruitment restrictions on the Force, allow them to recruit whoever they like.. Fijians, Samoans, saffas, kiwis etc.
Remove the restrictions on how long they can sign players for as well

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
My two cents

I have watched a few of the Force games this year and the problem is the coaching structure, getting rid of Foley is a must.

I am an avid Tahs fan and the Force has gotten the best of us over the last few seasons but even in those games their brand of rugby was very negative. This season against the Hurricanes and The chief they were in the game early on but the teams seems to be happy with “hanging in there” and just go for penalty goals and rolling mauls., You are not going to win games in this comp without knowing how to score tries.

Seriously there are plenty of great rugby players/coaches within Australia that are not getting a run in their clubs/provinces, What’s the point of having 3 (or 4) teams? That’s just going backwards, so if you want to be a rugby player you can ONLY play for NSW or QLD?

When the Force gets it right they have great fan support, some of the most exciting games I have watched have been in Perth, the crowd really gets behind them. Sponsor dollars will come after that.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
We are obliged to field five sides.

By foxtel or the ARU? Or both? IMO it's detrimental to Australian rugby (having 5 sides).
Talent spread way too thin. Most of the talent comes from NSW & QLD anyway! Having 4 sides would make for stronger & more competitive teams, competition tighter within squads and a better, tougher national side.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We are required to field five sides by the broadcast deal the ARU has made with SANZAAR and Rupert.............

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Can't reneg. They've signed for 5.

In any case it would just mean several millions less in the revenue deal and fewer pro contracts in Australia. A backward step.

How much will it cost to keep the franchise going? Is it more than the cost of taking a revenue hit from only fielding 4 sides?

I don't think they should fold the club at the moment but if things keep going bad then it should be an option when the broadcast rights are gain negotiated. Several people have suggested things the ARU can do in the meantime to try turn things around. Unfortunately I don't see many of these being implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.