• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus Babas v. Poms

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GC

Team named:

Five Force players named in Baabaas team
June 6, 2010 - 11:54AM
The Western Force dominate the Australian Barbarians team named on Sunday to take on England in Perth on Tuesday night.

The Super 14 franchise has five players in the starting XV for the match at ME Bank Stadium, with flanker Matt Hodgson and prop Pek Cowan to back up from Saturday night's 49-3 Test win over Fiji.

Fullback James O'Connor, winger Nick Cummins and blindside flanker Ben McCalman are the other Force players named in the team for the midweek match against the English.

Tuesday's match is the first of two between the Australian Barbarians and England.

Cummins and McCalman are two of five players who are uncapped at international level in the Barbarians run on side, with Reds trio Anthony Fainga'a, Will Chambers and Laurie Weeks the other rookies selected.

NSW pair Damien Fitzpatrick and Kane Douglas along with Reds prop James Slipper are the three uncapped players named on the bench for the match.

Australian Sevens captain Pat McCutcheon is also included among the substitutes as coach Robbie Deans makes good on his intention to give all of the players in his 40-man squad a playing opportunity within the first week of the international season.

Hooker Huia Edmonds, who made his Test debut against Fiji on Saturday, is one of eight players included in the Barbarians line-up who were involved in that Test, but the only one in the starting XV who also started against Fiji.

Halfback Luke Burgess and fullback Kurtley Beale, who have both been named on the bench, are the other two players in the Barbarians squad who started for Australia against Fiji.

2008 Wallabies rookie of the year Peter Hynes has been selected on the bench after being omitted from last night's Test squad as he completed his rehabilitation from a minor knee operation.

Brumbies captain Stephen Hoiles re-enters the international fold for the first time since the most recent of his 16 Test caps, which was earned in the second Test against France at Brisbane in 2008.

Hoiles is one of two co-captains that have been named for the Barbarians, sharing that role with Waratahs five-eighth Berrick Barnes.

Australian Barbarians team: James O'Connor, Nick Cummins, Will Chambers, Anthony Fainga'a, Lachie Turner, Berrick Barnes (co-capt), Josh Valentine, Stephen Hoiles (co-capt), Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman, Mark Chisholm, Mitchell Chapman, Laurie Weeks, Huia Edmonds, Pekahou Cowan. Res: Damien Fitzpatrick, James Slipper, Kane Douglas, Pat McCutcheon, Luke Burgess, Kurtley Beale, Peter Hynes.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No live coverage.:angryfire:
Ch 7 and Fox have it but won't show it.
But if you want, you can see the second string Nationwide Golf Tour from America on Fox!!!:p

T

TOCC

Foxsports will be streaming the Australia Barbarian games off there website... :) happy days

G

GC

If Edmonds is playing this one, I guess it's a given that S Fainga'a is starting in the test, which is great. What about LHP; Pek is in the starting side so Daley in the test team?

I

Ishmael

What time does the streaming start EST does anybody know?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Anyone. I think it might be limited to Aus IPs, but they aren't saying much.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
So, Al Baxter's career is over?

Fucking harsh to not bring him into the squad after BA's injury. Yeah I know he's a TH but still. Most of the pundits on G&GR picked Al to start with the Wallabies or the A-team. His omission is a disgrace and I'm mightily pissed off at Robbie for another one of his stubborn selections.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So does any knowledgeable person have a screening time and how I'm able to watch this?

I'd be oh-so-grateful.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scarfie,

We have to move forward. Al's been penalised off the ground way too many times in international games to risk him into the world cup next year, so we need to see if we can find at least equal alternatives. We all know what Al can and can't do, so I reckon he would be called up if we were going into an RWC campaign tomorrow, but in the meantime lets give the others a shot.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So I would have to wait till it was put up to download it. It wouldn't be a live stream?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Co-captains is SUCH a cop-out. Whoever they tell the ref to refer to as the captain is captain, the other is vice.

I didn't think Robbie was one of THOSE coaches.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyone. I think it might be limited to Aus IPs, but they aren't saying much.

i've never gotten foxsports vids to play for me. so i think it will be aus IPs only, as seems to usually be the case. if i'm wrong, someone please correct me.

but, there are ways to get an aus IP. do some google searches.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
regarding what these selections means, i thought Hawko had a great bit of insight from the blog post. so i've graciously swiped it :)

Hawko says:
This team gives us a look into the thoughts of the selection panel. Since it is supposed to be a development team, you would expect that the outer squad would be chosen in the run-on team unless there are some other issues that need to be resolved. I think it tells us that:

Edmonds starting and Fitzpatrick on the bench probably means that Fainga'a will start saturday with Edmonds on the bench. Edmonds probably didn’t do enough aghainst Fiji.

Cowan didn’t impress the selectors on saturday, with daley likely to start at 1 next saturday.

Weeks is trialling for a reserve bench spot. If he scrums OK for 50 minutes he will probably get the gig, with Slipper subbing for the last 30 mins.

That its more important to see Chisholm vs Chapman than blood Douglas for a full trial. Suggests that selectors are very worried about lock replacements.

Hodgson is seen as the back-up 7, not as a possible 6/8, except as a replacement. Waugh needs either to be injured to get a call-up.

Hoiles must be well behind Brown. Otherwise Hoiles to the bench this game and bench on Saturday, so that if Brown has a brain-snap we’ve got back-up (This involves a 5/2 bench).

Genia is probably back and Burgess will be on the bench come Saturday.

Barnes is selected to see how he runs a QLD-type backline. Beale will replace if injured so might not start Saturday, perhaps on bench. Hynes will start Saturday, JO’C will have to have a blinder or Beale/Hynes injured to get a place.

Fitzpatrick, Douglas and McCutcheon have been short-changed. Fitzpatrick and Douglas for the greater good (need to clarify Wallabies bench spots) and McCutcheon a line-ball call vs McCalman.

i agree with all of that. and i think most of it makes sense. but i would have liked to see douglas get a run on as i think he's earned it and should be right there for the back up lock spot.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scarfie,

We have to move forward. Al's been penalised off the ground way too many times in international games to risk him into the world cup next year, so we need to see if we can find at least equal alternatives. We all know what Al can and can't do, so I reckon he would be called up if we were going into an RWC campaign tomorrow, but in the meantime lets give the others a shot.

It makes sense to look forward provided there is something to move forward with. On the weekend we had parity with the Fijian scrum held up by Deacon Manu and Campese Ma'fu , that ain't good at all, if we sent that front row out against a real scrum they would get murdered and LHP is the real problem. Weekes is pretty good, it is whether the LHP can hold his side up.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I dunno. That all sounds a bit cunning to me. As cunning as a fox that used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University but has moved on, and is now working for the UN at the High Commission of International Cunning Planning.

Whereas I think the real answer is simply that Robbie sees the world differently to us ordinary folks. Hoiles, Brown, Cross, Chisholm, Slipper ahead of Baxter, Giteau endlessly at 10, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) everywhere except 13, every day is a magical mystery tour with Robbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.