• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
NSW Rugby Union Media Release
Wednesday August 14, 2013

Sydney Uni and Newington to stage 150-year rugbyre-enactment

Sydney University Rugby Club will celebrate 150 years of Australian rugby with a historic re-enactment at Saturday’s Bledisloe Cup match.

The exhibition match against Newington will be played under the rugby laws of 1863 and will take place at half-time during Saturday’s first Bledisloe Cup Test match at ANZ Stadium.

The spectacle will be tribute to the groundwork laid by both teams for the growth of Australian and trans-Tasman rugby.Founded in 1863, Sydney University Rugby Club is Australia’s oldest rugby club and this year celebrates its sesquicentenary, a feat only achieved by seven northern hemisphere clubs.

Their opponent in the exhibition match, Newington College this year celebrates the 150th anniversary of the school’s establishment, with rugby played there for over a century. The match against the Students is a repeat of Newington’s first official rugby match.

Event organiser Steve Anthony will be one of the exhibition umpires and says he hopes the spectacle will be enjoyable. “We hope it’s entertaining and also educational.”

Anthony conducted a similar re-enactment in 1974 when NSW rugby celebrated its century. “I think people find it interesting to see how things were different in the past and how they evolved, hopefully we will be able to demonstrate it in a way that amuses people.

“What we’re going to do during the six-and-a-half minutes is show how the game has evolved over the 20 years between 1863 and 1883, when the modern style really started to evolve.”

Back in the nineteenth century, Anthony says the game more closely resembled soccer, although there were still traces of modern day rugby.

“The things that were similar were the offside in general play and that you couldn’t pass the ball forward. It was really more like soccer was in those days, rather than as rugby is now.

To illustrate the game’s development during the period that followed, the exhibition match will feature the introduction of referees and ‘the running backline’, mapping the sport’s progression towards the modern game, and all explained throughout by an announcer.

Reflective of the game back in 1883, the re-enactment teams will each feature 20 players, 13 forwards and seven backs. Players will be wearing hooped jerseys and ‘longs’, trousers that finished midway between the knee and ankle. They will use a leather ball and create a divot on halfway to hoick it to their opposition for the kick-off.

A strong feature of nineteenth century rugby, scrums could last as long as ten minutes, as teams tried to drive through their opposition with the ball on the ground. During a maul, players were able to hack the player below the knees, while he was in possession.

Tries were nonexistent and were known as ‘run ins’, their only benefit being to give the player a shot at goal. A goal was worth one point, with the teams changing ends as a result. The first team to score two points won the game. If no team had scored two points in five days, the match was declared a draw.

Penalty goals didn’t exist until 1890 and players who kicked the ball out were jeered, with players having to ‘touch’ the ball down in the field of play to regain possession from the stoppage. It was one of the options to get the ball back into play that resulted in the modern game’s lineout.

In the absence of referees, the management of the early game fell to the captains, as Anthony explained. “The captains would agree on the rules before the game started and they managed to control the game between them during the course of the match. It was assumed the game was played in a sporting spirit.”

Taking place in the middle of one of rugby’s fiercest rugby rivalries, the exhibition will serve as a reminder of the sporting spirit that still remains one of rugby’s core values.

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
I am intrigued as to what all the people pushing for the inclusion of To'omua are expecting to see from him if picked.At best he was ordinary in the last 3 games of the season.Yes set up a great try to win at Loftus but even I could have run through that gap at my advanced age. He does not run or boss a game,passes behind the player whilst running sideways(a lot) and kicks down the throat.Tackles well,a bonus I suppose but not a prerequisite, many great 10s couldn't tackle to save their lives.I realise the way the brumbies play does not allow him to boss a game, so why is he suddenly going to be the playmaker Australia need, whose principle role should be GET THE BALL TO IZZY!He has shown glimpses of great talent which he might be allowed to express under a different coaching structure but this is probably not the game..He will have a blinder now I suppose!

Best number 10 in Australia IMO in the last 2 years by a country mile was Christian in 2012, I would love to see him at 10 (if Quade can't get his shit in a pile) with Godwin at 12,best young footballer I have seen fo a long,long time.

The Badger is a must , Tomane was a rabbit in headlights against the Lions in Sydney (against a bunch of pasty Welshman, God knows what Savea and Ben Smith would do to him..).His passion and ticker a must and would be a very balanced combiantion with Izzy and O'Connor. Love Jesse Mogg and his time will come, again needs to be liberated.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hore gets start as Crotty in line to debut

MARK GEENTY 05:00 15/08/2013

Andrew Hore retains the starting hooker's role while Ryan Crotty is in line for a test debut off the bench in an All Blacks team high on experience but low on talking points.

Coach Steve Hansen's team to face Australia in their Bledisloe Cup and Rugby Championship opener in Sydney on Saturday was unveiled with few surprises after Wellington pair Dane Coles and T J Perenara were released to play for their province yesterday.

Coles was told he was short of a gallop in his recovery from a calf strain, leaving veterans Hore and Keven Mealamu to contest the No 2 jersey. Hore got the nod for his second test start of the year after the New Plymouth match against France in June, and his 77th test in all.

Despite star pivot Dan Carter being ruled out on Tuesday for three to four weeks due to a calf strain, Hansen's lineup has 874 caps and an average age of 27.

The only uncapped player is Crusaders midfielder Crotty who was whistled into the squad as cover for the injured Francis Saili at the weekend. When Carter was ruled out, opening the way for Aaron Cruden to make his 11th test run-on start, Crotty was left as the only midfield back cover. Halfback Tawera Kerr-Barlow and utility Beauden Barrett are the only other back reserves.

Captain Richie McCaw returns for his first test since December and will lead the All Blacks in his 117th test. Prop Tony Woodcock will play his 99th test as he, Hore and Owen Franks get their first taste of the new scrum engagement laws.

In the backs, Manawatu pair Aaron Smith and Cruden are reunited while second five-eighth Ma'a Nonu was passed fit after an ankle injury suffered in the Wellington club semifinals last month. Nonu and Conrad Smith will play their 80th and 70th tests respectively.

The All Blacks fly out from Wellington this afternoon.

Much expectation will surround Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie's team announcement later today in his first test in charge. Injuries to Wycliff Palu and Kurtley Beale, the retirement of George Smith, axing of prop Benn Robinson and shift to wing of James O'Connor ensure the side will be different to the one that started the final test against the British and Irish Lions last month.

Prop James Slipper, lock Rob Simmons and flanker Liam Gill are among Reds players poised to be promoted to the starting side. Recalled Quade Cooper is vying with uncapped Brumbies star Matt To'omua for the pivot's spot.

15 Israel Dagg,
14 Ben Smith,
13 Conrad Smith,
12 Ma'a Nonu,
11 Julian Savea,
10 Aaron Cruden,
9 Aaron Smith,

8 Kieran Read,
7 Richie McCaw (c),
6 Liam Messam,
5 Sam Whitelock,
4 Luke Romano,
3 Owen Franks,
2 Andrew Hore,
1 Tony Woodcock.

Reserves:
16 Keven Mealamu,
17 Ben Franks,
18 Charlie Faumuina,
19 Brodie Retallick,
20 Sam Cane,
21 Tawera Kerr-Barlow,
22 Beauden Barrett,
23 Ryan Crotty.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/9043044/Hore-gets-start-as-Crotty-in-line-to-debut

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
On the subject of who will play at 10: Everyone has been expecting Link to name Cooper, then there is a leak that it is going to be To'omua.

Maybe this means it's going to be Foley. Link, the wily old fox.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The other thing about picking Mealamu and Hore is they're probably still old enough to remember how to hook the ball. Coles isn't.

-------------------------------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Just read an article on The Age that has To'omua to be named at flyhalf with Cooper on the bench..

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...-full-potential--connolly-20130814-2rwtz.html

Iain Payten
1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill ©
6. Hugh McMeniman
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben Mowen
9. Will Genia
10. Matt To'omua*
11. James O’Connor
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Jesse Mogg
Res: Saia Fainga'a, Scott Sio, Sekope Kepu, Scott Fardy, Liam Gill, Nic White, Quade Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
15 Israel Dagg,
14 Ben Smith,
13 Conrad Smith,
12 Ma'a Nonu,
11 Julian Savea,
10 Aaron Cruden,
9 Aaron Smith,

8 Kieran Read,
7 Richie McCaw (c),
6 Liam Messam,
5 Sam Whitelock,
4 Luke Romano,
3 Owen Franks,
2 Andrew Hore,
1 Tony Woodcock.

Sh*t that's a good side. Was feeling pretty good about this weekend until I read that line-up. Let's just hope that Cruden's poor form with the boot continues and Nonu has an off-day at the office. I can't recall a recent AB pack with so many white fellas in it......probably the whitest All Black team for quite some time - not saying that is a good thing as the big islander blokes always scared the living jesus out of me back in my playing days. Can I say that without sounding like a bigot?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
big islander blokes always scared the living jesus out of me back in my playing days. Can I say that without sounding like a bigot?

Depends who you're talking to. Most of the big Islander blokes would take it as a compliment and call you a pussy. I only hated playing against Islanders because their props were fat and useless, and you never knew when you'd get a punch in the head.

In any case, as I was typing up my other thoughts about the Wallabies team, it became clear to me that, if that particular lineup runs out, it won't be the all-out attack that is supposedly Australian rugby.

Without waffling - Mogg, JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua, and Lilo kick us out of our half like the Brumbies would. Simmons and Mowen organise pressure at lineout time. We hammer the ruck as hard as possible, and look to attack when we have the ball in their half.

But I'm not sure that back row is up to it against the ABs. MMM doesn't inspire me when he's not running the ball.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Four very good lineout options and Mogg and To'omua says territory and lineouts are going to be very important. That is fine as there is enough attack there to put points on once in range. The Reds kicked the most of any side in 2011 and still managed to be called the entertainers.

The pack is high on IQ, they are going to need to use it.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Iain Payten

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill ©
6. Hugh McMeniman
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben Mowen
9. Will Genia
10. Matt To'omua*
11. James O’Connor
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Jesse Mogg

Res: Saia Fainga'a, Scott Sio, Sekope Kepu, Scott Fardy, Liam Gill, Nic White, Quade Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani.

If this is the starting side, I see the logic from Link is that he has got a big yet quite mobile forward pack. Simmons is in because of his line out nous, MMM because he is an abrasive hard working forward, and along with Slipper and Mowen, and to some degree Horwill, adds real dynamics to the line out.

In fact, I rate our opportunities highly in the line outs, and so see possibly more kicking than expected.

The game initially with this starting side will be played more up the middle in a typical arm wrestle style from the Wallabies, though the AB's will try to run their backs from the outset. My reasoning of the Wallabies opening style of play is to upset the AB game plan, which expects the Wallabies to open up from the first whistle.

I then see Cooper coming on to replace To'omua once the AB loosies have slowed down in momentum ( particularly McCaw), enabling him to make/assist in line breaks and cut out passes. This will happen earlier rather than later (of the 60 minute mark).

The bench I rate highly for really opening up the game in the second half, particularly from Fainga'a (Moore), Sio (Slipper), & Gill (Hooper).

If Ginea is playing a big game, he'll be there for 80 minutes, but if he goes off the boil, which he has been known to do, then White will get his moment.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Link has showed in the past that he uses his bench - he will trust those blokes just as much as those in the run-on side.

Good team

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Good team if thats the one Link goes with. Lets hope Mogg brings his kicking game, wasn't too impressed with him in the latter stages of Super Rugby off the boot. Finally someone has seen sense and put JOC (James O'Connor) back out the wing, its going to be interesting watching this back 3 in attack particularly off turn over ball.

Decent looking pack, Simmons aside as well, with lots of impact on the bench. Looking forward to the McCaw Hooper battle at 7. If I was a Kiwi I'd be worried about their place kicking, can't wait for this one on Saturday.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Good looking Wallabies team if that is what will be announced.

Although I worry slightly about ball-carrying options in the forwards. Every one of them falls more in the 'carthorse' category than the 'linebender' category.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Good looking Wallabies team if that is what will be announced.

Although I worry slightly about ball-carrying options in the forwards. Every one of them falls more in the 'carthorse' category than the 'linebender' category.

Not totally true. Horwill has certainly bent a few lines in his time. And I feel that McMeniman and Hooper would see themselves as maligned if rated as 'carthorse'.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

I'm guessing that's why Hooper has been retained. He's the only regular threat with the ball amongst the pack.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You guys who carry on about Quades tackling should get up to date a bit more - his tackling this Super 15 Season was better than the majority of fly halves. So go get a hold of yourself as you're dripping bigotry.

Emuarse, you're talking through that part of your anatomy mentioned in your nom de plume. I invite you to take the trouble to go back over past posts and you'll see that I have always been a Quade supporter, even in the dark days of toxic environments. I have also acknowledged that he has improved his defensive efforts especially in this year's Super comp, with particular mention of his effort to stop Rene Ranger at about the same time that JOC (James O'Connor) was totally monstered by that same player. But, there is no way that anyone can say that Quade's defence is any more than adequate at test level, nor was it in the same class as Matt To'omua's.

I would like to point out that my post was about JOC (James O'Connor) never playing 10, it was not anti-Quade. I resent the claim of bigotry and think that you have done yourself a very large disservice by making it.

Status
Not open for further replies.