• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Spot on Hawko.
Christian was the best five eighth in Australia last year,seems inneffective at 12. I love Mogg but fear he made be found out. It's more his standoffishness that worries me than the actual missed attempts.But if he can be unleashed he is a Campo in the making so defense may be excused.would rather JOC (James O'Connor) or izzy at fullback with the badger on the wing,for now.
Forwards will be fine I feel, will stand up like Brisbane 2011, coach will actually be able to rev them up in the change roomwith 'lets get into these Kiwi c...' with a straight face!!

Agreed on the mogg fear. I hope he doesn't but it is a possibility... I think thats why he has Cooper on the bench because he knows he can play at 15 in defence (having played there all year anyway) and will inject himself into the line when needed. I think QUade is actually more versatile than we think simply by the nature of how he's played is career so far. He's back up for both Matt and Mogg if they don't step up. Good selection gamble from Link I reckon.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I was not a fan of Link getting the job, but I must admit I am favourably impressed by his selection of players on the basis of form, rather than reputation or provincial history. It's a good start.

Ghibli, I'm just curious why you are not a fan of link getting the job and who you thought should have been given the job? Perhaps a bit off-topic, but I want to explore this anyway.

I'm assuming you think Jake White was the better option? (Surely not Robbie Deans to be reinstated). Whilst I think Jake White is a world class rugby coach (probably one of the best of the last decade) I don't think he was the right choice for our national team. Have we learnt nothing from the Robbie Deans era?! The biggest lesson I've taken from the deans era is that our national coach should be an aussie; a proud aussie who knows Australian rugby and wants to play an Australian style of game. White is neither Aussie, nor does he intend to play the Australian way.

I'm really excited to see how the Wallabies play this year. There may be a few teething problems but I expect they'll play a dynamic, exciting brand of rugby. (fingers crossed)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am very optimistic that we will see a turn around in attitude and performance by this Wallabies' team. In form players selected in their right positions (mostly - not sure about Slipper at LH or JOC (James O'Connor) at all) and a much more inspiring coach with hopefully a game plan with alternative options all add up to an expectation of better things to come.

But the opposition is the best there is. Despite being weakened by the loss of Carter and Messam, the ABs are still deservedly the favourites. They have established combinations all over the park, and are in good recent form. I am confident however that this Wallabies side will not cave in to allow the ABs a run away win. Could even come down to a few penalties goals one way or the other at the end. That is where Carter might be missed most.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Wow! Did it take him 12 months to research that article? It may have been a good piece 12 months ago as that is when it would've been relevant.

Beale is not going to be playing for the Wallabies this season and Ioane isn't going to be playing for the next couple at least.

What a load of tripe! I would post a comment against the article but I am not going to waste any effort registering just to waste my band width on such a moronic article.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Wow! Did it take him 12 months to research that article? It may have been a good piece 12 months ago as that is when it would've been relevant.

Beale is not going to be playing for the Wallabies this season and Ioane isn't going to be playing for the next couple at least.

What a load of tripe! I would post a comment against the article but I am not going to waste any effort registering just to waste my band width on such a moronic article.

Scoey, I posted a mild rebuke, questioning some of the facts, but they didn't publish it. The sooner G&GR blows away the poisonous Rugby Heaven franchise the better.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Also slightly off topic, but this piece of nasty, anti-rugby propaganda from the chief rugby league writer of the Telegraph, in what is supposedly our premier rugby publication, on the eve of the start of the Bledisloe, serves to remind us there are more than just the Dimness who want the Wallabies' demise :

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/with-amigos-like-these--20130816-2s24k.html

I'm not sure who you've slandered, but I can't imagine Murdoch would allow any employee to write for Fairfax

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
No publicity is bad publicity. Let them print all the shite that they like, as long as it is rugby shite.

It is strange, but true, but whenever the NRL is covered in muck, which it is periodically, interest in loig increases.

These are strange times we live in, to be sure, to be sure.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Spot on Hawko.
Christian was the best five eighth in Australia last year,seems inneffective at 12.

He's not ineffective at 12 (as compared to 10), but the broken ankle he suffered last year which has still not fully recovered seems to have affected his line breaking ability.........

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ghibli, I'm just curious why you are not a fan of link getting the job and who you thought should have been given the job? Perhaps a bit off-topic, but I want to explore this anyway.

I'm assuming you think Jake White was the better option? (Surely not Robbie Deans to be reinstated). Whilst I think Jake White is a world class rugby coach (probably one of the best of the last decade) I don't think he was the right choice for our national team. Have we learnt nothing from the Robbie Deans era?! The biggest lesson I've taken from the deans era is that our national coach should be an aussie; a proud aussie who knows Australian rugby and wants to play an Australian style of game. White is neither Aussie, nor does he intend to play the Australian way.

I'm really excited to see how the Wallabies play this year. There may be a few teething problems but I expect they'll play a dynamic, exciting brand of rugby. (fingers crossed)

I can understand having an Aussie coach that understands the systems and politics of Australian rugby, but what is this so called "Australian way". Between the Rebels, Reds, Force and Tahs I don't see a lot of commonality in both the way they play and their intent.

Did Eddies Jones or Knuckles teams play the Australian way because again their philosphy at least in attack was very different despite having many of the same players.

I have only heard this Australian way talk during the Deans era and I personally think its a furphy. At the end of the day Deans was not successful enough so suffered the same fate as the above two coaches.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I can understand having an Aussie coach that understands the systems and politics of Australian rugby, but what is this so called "Australian way". Between the Rebels, Reds, Force and Tahs I don't see a lot of commonality in both the way they play and their intent.

Did Eddies Jones or Knuckles teams play the Australian way because again their philosphy at least in attack was very different despite having many of the same players.

I have only heard this Australian way talk during the Deans era and I personally think its a furphy. At the end of the day Deans was not successful enough so suffered the same fate as the above two coaches.

ACT Crusader.....I could explain the "Australian way" to you but as you are a Kiwi, like Robbie, you would never fully understand it. ;)

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Looking forward to todays game. Of particular interest is the new scrum regulations. What are the weather conditions like? Much as I am sure you are all hoping for a delight of free flowing running rugby I will be very interested to see what happens if the game becomes a bit of a scrum fest to see how the players handle it. At least you will not have to endure the terrible interpretation of Roman 'Clouseau' Poite so I suspect the Aussie front row will go very well. I am predicting a bit of an upset with Lilo's better form off the tee edging a nail biter.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looking forward to todays game. Of particular interest is the new scrum regulations. What are the weather conditions like? Much as I am sure you are all hoping for a delight of free flowing running rugby I will be very interested to see what happens if the game becomes a bit of a scrum fest to see how the players handle it. At least you will not have to endure the terrible interpretation of Roman 'Clouseau' Poite so I suspect the Aussie front row will go very well. I am predicting a bit of an upset with Lilo's better form off the tee edging a nail biter.

Others have said it in other places, but from my viewing of ITM matches yesterday and today, the scrums are more of a contest now that the hit has been mostly removed. Once the ball goes in, the stronger scrum seems to start moving forwards, putting a lot of pressure on the other lot. I think this is good, but not necessarily a good sign for the Wallabies. Is this the strongest scrum the Wallabies could put together? I suspect not, but tonight should tell.

By the way, I do think the Canterbury scrum still got in a bit of a hit and was early putting on the shove on some occasions, but got away with it. I also thought a lot of feeds were not what I'd call straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.