• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Baa Baa's Vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Who did you play for Sir AH? Just out of interest and completely off topic.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
he might have been born there but he grew up and is from squammish.

from b.c

played against and knew his younger brother also from squammish

Nearly met my maker close to Squamish in my young days. We were driving back from Whistler - a bunch of Aussies - and this logging truck turned this bend and was coming towards us. Someone said "Watch out - that silly bugger is on the wrong side of the road".

He wasn't - we were, but none of us realised. Lucky we had time to get back on the right side of the road - or rather the left.

Then there was the time I stepped of the kerb in Banff looking right as I did so, and nearly got cleaned up.

But I digress.

The last time I saw Canada play Oz A - as the Oz Baas will be close to being - was at Parramatta Stadium. I remember thinking then that Daniel Heenan would be a long time Wallaby.

It wasn't to be.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Who did you play for Sir AH? Just out of interest and completely off topic.

stopped playing when i came down to melbourne 3 years ago and went out for Uni Blacks in aussie rules (foolish decision - busted my shoulder this year!)

last rugby game was in france at 7 a side tournament, it was just a big pissup celebrating the wine growing nations of rugby, scored the winning try in the final for canada v france.....couldn't find a higher point to go out on so packed it in and got pissed!
funnily in that tournament bob dwyer spoke to us, before he got absolutely sloshed and tore up the dance floor, at a dinner event and predicted the wallabies loss the next day to england and that the saffers would win it all.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Nearly met my maker close to Squamish in my young days. We were driving back from Whistler - a bunch of Aussies - and this logging truck turned this bend and was coming towards us. Someone said "Watch out - that silly bugger is on the wrong side of the road".

He wasn't - we were, but none of us realised. Lucky we had time to get back on the right side of the road - or rather the left.

Then there was the time I stepped of the kerb in Banff looking right as I did so, and nearly got cleaned up.

But I digress.

The last time I saw Canada play Oz A - as the Oz Baas will be close to being - was at Parramatta Stadium. I remember thinking then that Daniel Heenan would be a long time Wallaby.

It wasn't to be.

hopefully a few more gems will be unearthed for both teams in that game than the last one.

Chauncy O'toole is being scouted by the Ospreys and the Scarlets for a pro contract - rated by them as "the best amateur player in the world" according to a press release.

W

What2040

Will Benn R, Daley and Slipper be right for this game - anyone have any idea of possible team

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
would this be a good opportunity for Robbinson to test his knee?

I'd think a backline could and should look as follows
Phipps
Barnes
Turner?
Horne
Davies (questionable as I don't rate him and would prefer to see someone else)
Gerrard

pack?
Daley, Slipper, Robinson, who would be hooker?
maybe a chance to give pyle a run alongside sharpe?
hodgson? Aeulua? Vaea?

I would think this is the best chance to give guys on the fringe and players they want to blood a bit of game time. the world cup starts two weeks after that and I imagine nearly everoyne will be rested the following week.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll throw a team out there

1. Robinson/Daley
2. TPN
3. Slipper
4. Mumm
5. Timani
6. Dennis
7. Beau
8. Samo/Palu
9. Phipps
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. Fainga'a
13. Horne
14. Davies
15. Morahan

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Morahan - good call would put him in in place of davies.
If TPN is fit don't you think he'll just go straight into the wallabies dropping Fainga'a out?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
stopped playing when i came down to melbourne 3 years ago and went out for Uni Blacks in aussie rules (foolish decision - busted my shoulder this year!)

last rugby game was in france at 7 a side tournament, it was just a big pissup celebrating the wine growing nations of rugby, scored the winning try in the final for canada v france.....couldn't find a higher point to go out on so packed it in and got pissed!
funnily in that tournament bob dwyer spoke to us, before he got absolutely sloshed and tore up the dance floor, at a dinner event and predicted the wallabies loss the next day to england and that the saffers would win it all.

Was more interested with who you played for in BC. I coach Vancouver Rowing Club a few years ago. Great bunch of guys but struggled for depth and missed a few key positions. Had a great time though and would recommend it to anyone keen to play some rugby OS.

W

What2040

Morahan - good call would put him in in place of davies.
If TPN is fit don't you think he'll just go straight into the wallabies dropping Fainga'a out?

Think TPN, Robbo & Slipper all need a run. The real question for me is Benn R - should he be given all the time in the world to be absolutely right for RWC - so I probably would not risk him (yet)

V

vikingbrad

And surely Drew Mitchell get a run if he still has his hand up for RWC?

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Possible team (assuming TNP, Horne, Mitchell, Fatcat and Palu are all back):

1. Robinson
2. Polota-Nau
3. Alexander
4. Sharpe
5. Timani
6. Hodgson
7. Robinson
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. Gerrard
--------------
16. Hanson
17. Daley
18. Wykes
19. Samo
20. Lucas
21. Fainga'a
22. Davies

I'd like the aforementioned 5 injured players to play in the Bledisloe the next day, but I think a less intense initiation may be ideal.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Let the RWC squad players focus on that and put up a traditional style barbarians 22.

Give Daley, Charles, Pyle, Dennis, Vaea, Saffy, Gill, C. Fainga'a/Hooper, Mortlock, Lealiifano, Tapuai, Lance & co their deserved for a solid and promising 2011.

Throw in some Barbarian-like smokeys going into 2012 like Tomane, Stannard and Auelua (I don't think he has played Internationally).

I know it won't happen, but I'd much rather see something like this than what was put up agianst Engalnd last year.

Reactions: DPK

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Definitely agree, Mr Guy. Last year we needed to use the Barbars game for squad development, and the fixture was against a strong opposition. This year we don't have the same need for it, and it's against a relatively weak opposition.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Was more interested with who you played for in BC. I coach Vancouver Rowing Club a few years ago. Great bunch of guys but struggled for depth and missed a few key positions. Had a great time though and would recommend it to anyone keen to play some rugby OS.

ah. sorry for the ramblings then
Castaway Wanderers in Oak Bay.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm told Baa Ba's are meant to have at least one non-test player so I'm hoping Sam (son of Dave) Carter gets a run at #5, as he is "family", and the bride and I have our ($20) seats on half-way at Skilled Park! My contact in Whistler BC, says that in a former life, Jamie Cudmore is said to have been a "debt collector" for 'perveyors of illeagal substances', so yes he would know how to handle himself!

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i hope this is the case.
I would rather see canada benefit from a relatively competitive match than getting rolled over by a very strong wallabies 2nd.
the full 'theoretical squad' put forth by myself and others would be of little benefit to anyone really.
Mitchell would be better served in a game where he's tested in offense, defense and high ball...i think against us he'd only get two of those. better to stick him in at club level in a more competitive game.
Canada won't want to get the sh!t kicked out of them two weeks before the WC either.
Will Saffy and Pyle be overseas with the Rebels then?

W

What2040

as long as we WIN - famous old warcry "Remember the Samoans"

Status
Not open for further replies.