• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Baa Baa's Vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

high tower

15 Gerrard
14 Mitchell
13 Horne
12 Barnes
11 Turner needs a run and will go to NZ if mitchell is not upto it
10 JOC (James O'Connor) Deans saw him as Coopers back up v Sth Africa in game 1
9 Burgess needs some game time
8 Palu
7Hodgson needs some game time and will be in NZ
6 Samo
5 Vickerman
4 Simmons will be in NZ
3 Slipper will be in NZ if fit
2 TPN
1 Cowan
Bench: S.Faainga, Ma'afu, Timani, Elsom, Phipps, Giteau

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Anyone know when they are announcing a squad or team for this game?

Also will it be on Fox?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
15 Gerrard
14 Mitchell
13 Horne
12 Barnes
11 Turner needs a run and will go to NZ if mitchell is not upto it
10 JOC (James O'Connor) Deans saw him as Coopers back up v Sth Africa in game 1
9 Burgess needs some game time
8 Palu
7Hodgson needs some game time and will be in NZ
6 Samo
5 Vickerman
4 Simmons will be in NZ
3 Slipper will be in NZ if fit
2 TPN
1 Cowan
Bench: S.Faainga, Ma'afu, Timani, Elsom, Phipps, Giteau

That has too many actual WC squad members (pressumably), its a Barbarians team, we won't see many Wallabies except the likes of Mitchell, Tatafu, Palu, Slipper, Horne and Barnes

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
i.e. your kid isn't getting the attention you think it deserves.

Topic recycling happens all the time. Don't be too concerned about it.

I am not, it's a great topic! Hence why i brought the old discussion up. There are some interesting points in there.

Either way in answer to Fat Prop's question i guess the squad will be annouced just after the World Cup one is?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
That has too many actual WC squad members (pressumably), its a Barbarians team, we won't see many Wallabies except the likes of Mitchell, Tatafu, Palu, Slipper, Horne and Barnes

agreed. no way JOC (James O'Connor) is playing in that game. he'll be playing the next night.

I think Gerrard will be fullback with Mitchell, Horne and Barnes all playing, but i'd guess we'll see someone a bit more random on the other wing and at 12 (barnes playing 10).
Pyle is overseas with the rebels so he won't be featuring presumably. it would be nice to see them pick a uni queensland player out of respect for the tragic incident a few weeks ago.
I can't see aus picking a top front row to go up against us as it won't exactly be top notch scrummaging competition. I'd think deans would be better off picking slipper and tpn on the bench for the bledisloe and giving them a run.
I'd say its more likely phipps gets a run and burgess gets gametime off the bench next week.
given that saturday sydney uni plays randwick, i'd think some players would be better off playing in that. (on the basis that sydney uni is probably better than canada)

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
game isn't being broadcast by fox sports by the look of it.
ITM cup game is on instead, which is a shame!

watched the second canada/usa game online on sunday afternoon universalsports.com for anyone interested.
bit of a sloppy affair. our lineouts are atrocious, though our scrums were quite solid and had the upperhand over the USA. we have big boot in our team (ciaran hearn) so safe to say when we can go for the points we'll take them over the lineout.

our number 1 scrum half was unavailable, but our backup looked fairly competent. #13 for us, DTH Van de Merwe (plays for glasgow - tied for 3rd top try scorer in the magners last year) had a dominant game and set up or scored 3 of the the tries.
Having ed fairhurst back will be a big boost as his work rate is terriffic and he brings a lot of class.

we will struggle at inside centre. I'm not sure we have an answer there.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Last year the Oz Baas team who played against England in Gosford was the Oz A team.

IIRR the Wallabies had 30 players for their domestic season before 3N and added 10 players for the Barbarians game. Those 10 most probably played in the Baas 22 (I'm too lazy to check) which meant that 12 from the original squad of 30 would have joined them. In other words: at most 18 were protected, though there were probably fewer because of injuries to the extended group of 40 by game time.

Oz already has 40 players in their training squad who have received all the training content. Add in some of Mitchell, Barnes, Cowan, Robinson and Horne, who were not in the 40 but may be healthy by game time, and deduct some of Daley, Palu, TPN and Slipper, who were in the 40 but may not be healthy by then, and you still come up with about 40 available for the game.

Since the RWC squad of 30 is chosen on Thursday, anybody selected who is healthy enough to play in the match, and who Deans thinks needs game time, should be first pick for the Baas. The other spots should go to those of the original squad of 40, plus the 1st 4 mentioned above, who missed out on the RWC and are available to play.

There may be a bolter or two needed: Deans may protect most of the 30 and some may be needed to smooth out the positions profile of the Baas squad of 22 anyway. On the other hand some may not get a game because too many are available for a certain spot.

That was just thinking out aloud for my own benefit but it may be of interest to others.

D

daz

My only thought about this game:

Please let those potential and important RWC Wob players returning through injury get through this game intact and with a bit of form under their belts, so they may press hard for selection. Pretty please. With a cherry on top.

Amen.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Now let's all sit in a circle and repeat this three times.

Also, have we established the coaching involvement for this game? I would assume RD would be heavily involved but given Nucifora's prevalence of late, maybe he's running the show?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Please let those potential and important RWC Wob players returning through injury get through this game intact and with a bit of form under their belts, so they may press hard for selection.

This Baas game is on Friday 26th of August. The Wallabies squad is going to be announced on Thursday 18th August and even if it isn't has to be submitted to the IRB in Dublin by Monday 22nd August - or late on the 21st Oz time.

The players not chosen for the RWC but are playing for the Baas, will be contesting for back up spots in case somebody gets injured before or during the tournament.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Not sure on what the make up of the squad will be. If its going to be an Australian A team why wouldnt they just call it Australia A v Canada. If they are going to be playing under the Baa Baa's name, shouldnt they have the uncapped players and international ones as well?

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Not sure on what the make up of the squad will be. If its going to be an Australian A team why wouldnt they just call it Australia A v Canada. If they are going to be playing under the Baa Baa's name, shouldnt they have the uncapped players and international ones as well?

Maybe that's what they want to call it from now on. I have always hate this 'A' or 'B' or whatever they call it. There should be a bleeding heart award or a cap for someone who is a consistant tryer in the club ranks. At least one you know?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm expecting the following team:-

1. Ben Daley
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. James Slipper
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. Rob Simmons
6. Dave Dennis
7. Beau Robinson
8. Wycliff Palu (if he cant play in this game, he wont go to New Zealand)
9. Nick Phipps
10. Berrick Barnes
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Rob Horne
14. Rod Davies
15. Luke Morahan

16. Pek Cowan
17. Hanson
18. McCalman
19. Hodgson
20. Mark Gerrard
22. Lachie Turner

I think Deans knows we are better off letting our returning stars (Palu, Barnes, TPN and Slipper) get some good game time under their belt rather than having them sit on the bench at Suncorp and be to affraid to rely on them. Also I think Deans will put a few of the fringe dwellers on the Bench rather than starting. If there was any injuries to Wallabies players on the eve of the beldisloe he'll want guys like McCalmun, Hodgson, Turner to be relatively fresh.

This really is a strong Australia A team, especially the tight five and backrow. Hell the 10-13 is shit hot. All four of those guys will be challenging for a starting spot in the wallabies. Shows the depth aus is building.

Status
Not open for further replies.