• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
You post this at 11:30 while I'm thinking about lunch.

You work for the Colonel?
If you live in Australia how the h*ll you can eat chicken instead of seafood?
image-2.jpg

It's what I miss the most about living there

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've watched Bordeaux vs Clermont in the French Top 14. Alex Newsome played pretty well. Simone was average at best

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How come Joe Powell never kicked on. Genuinely in the conversation for the 3rd Wallaby halfback for a while. Never going to be a starter at the Brumbies with White, Longeran wasn't helping so he moved to the Rebels (lol). Development stalled. Moved to London Irish where he's had ample opportunity behind a monster pack and doesn't do much. Got hooked at 30 minutes in by an irate coach on the weekend, was a bit embarrassing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How come Joe Powell never kicked on. Genuinely in the conversation for the 3rd Wallaby halfback for a while. Never going to be a starter at the Brumbies with White, Longeran wasn't helping so he moved to the Rebels (lol). Development stalled. Moved to London Irish where he's had ample opportunity behind a monster pack and doesn't do much. Got hooked at 30 minutes in by an irate coach on the weekend, was a bit embarrassing.

Because he was never that good to begin with?

He was third in the pecking order for the Wallabies because there weren't really any better options at the time but likewise no desire or intention to invest caps and game time in him because it was clearly thought that he was never going to become our first or second choice.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ben Darwin suggests most players who leave a club are less successful when they leave (and yes we can all recall the ones that do, but ON AVERAGE) , Powell is an average 9 who looked good behind the ponies pack, most 9s would look good behind them

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He was a handbreak at the Rebels. I couldn't understand how he kept getting selected when Sorovi was available.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
I've watched Bordeaux vs Clermont in the French Top 14. Alex Newsome played pretty well. Simone was average at best
Newsome has been on fire all season for Clermont starting at fullback from the outset. Add him to the list of players' who seem to find another notch in Europe

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Newsome has been on fire all season for Clermont starting at fullback from the outset. Add him to the list of players' who seem to find another notch in Europe
on fire all season is a bit of an exaggeration. I've found him exactly middling. Just doesn't have top end speed or size. He's like Jock Campbell but slower and with worse vision and hole finding.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
on fire all season is a bit of an exaggeration. I've found him exactly middling. Just doesn't have top end speed or size. He's like Jock Campbell but slower and with worse vision and hole finding.
He's the kind of player that every Aussie franchise needs to be competitive. Surely, not a test player

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A bit harsh, smart footballer with limitations, but reliable, consistent and will play a role, you need units like him in a team that you can bank on

Link described it as getting the balance right in the team, you have some special players, that you budget for moments of extreme highs, but you also need units who will put in shifts you can rely on week after week

I bet he ends up being a good coach one day as well

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did the Reds charge them extra by saying you're actually getting some promotion as our front of jersey sponsor... you just need to stand on your head.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pete Samu linked with Bordeaux for after RWC. Now he’s a player that can be a cult classic over there, like Fardy, Fuglistaller etc

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Doesn't Suprise me. Quality player that can get big money.

Brumbies have a strong core of young players in the backrow as well.

He gives off strong Japanese vibes though when he has the slicked back pony tail.