• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Looks like we will be picking an Australia A team of players not within the England series and sending them to the Pacific, which could be a good thing for Australia rugby... There is a little bit of a worry we will Cap people who may wish to play for others, but I guess it will force their hand.

I think we should be smart about it, take player interests into account, and not CAP someone who realistically could play for other countries who probably would never make the Wallabies squad.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Looks like we will be picking an Australia A team of players not within the England series and sending them to the Pacific, which could be a good thing for Australia rugby... There is a little bit of a worry we will Cap people who may wish to play for others, but I guess it will force their hand.

I think we should be smart about it, take player interests into account, and not CAP someone who realistically could play for other countries who probably would never make the Wallabies squad.
Does Aus A count as an official cap?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well think every country have test team and one other that counts as making players ineligible for anyone else, think NZ is alao Abs and NZ 'A', so proba.ly does.

Whoops sorry, then just read article and it says it in there anyway.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Does Aus A count as an official cap?
Yes, but I think it's only if the opposition is also an official cap team (so not against a super side). I think British and Irish Lions do count because of the eligibility restrictions to play for them, not sure about the Barbarians.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I guess it means players will need to make a choice either think they will get selected for the Wallabies and Play or decided that's unlikely and refuse the Australia A call-up...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's exactly what the article touches on. It references Michael Ala'alatoa and Tyrel Lomax declined to play for the Aus Barbarians in 2016 since they were worried it would capture them (it ended up not counting and David Lohlohea played and then capped for Tonga the following year).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wonder if the Australia A team is going to be considered a development side or team selected purely for competitiveness.
I don't see how those are exclusive? It should be the next best 23 (or maybe 30 for squad) players after the Wallabies squad of 30. Which is 80% of Australian super rugby starters...

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Love this, we should try and get them going off the Europe play the sides in the European championship

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did this one a couple of weeks ago. Probably a few changes needed but fine as a discussion point.
27BE3CF6-2166-41E6-9A91-C8787226CCC5.jpeg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not just Europe. South America as well. The likes of Uruguay and Chile would relish the opportunity to play Aus A on a reasonably regular basis.
Not sure would have the funds for that as travelling to South America and Europe sounds whole lot more expensive. I would have thought even investing in nrc then Australia A competition in the pacific would also be better investment. Or have I missed something.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thanks Reg, two good squads. I like your selection of Uru, I would hope that Frost, Fines Leleiwasa and Fa’amausili may get a look in also. Can see big benefits in this set up for Ryan Lonergan.