• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
He's a 21 year old who has played less than a dozen games of pro rugby.

I think his progression this year has been phenomenal. I thought he had a very good game on Saturday and was outstanding in the Pacific Nations Cup earlier this year. Certainly a future Wallaby and I doubt it will be too far away.
BraveH, I am surprised I thought he was still a teenager. At 21 he needs to be showing more than last week's game. This was the first time I have watched him so this week may be interesting. If everybody has gone nuts over him I expect much the same from him. Nothing like criticism to get you off your arse!

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

All articles published and commentators went nuts about Gleeson
He had plenty of carries but didn't really trouble the defence. Was solid to good in defense and at the break down for mine. Could develop in time.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Speculating, although that's the information that was fed to the media last week...
Wayne Smith in the SMH suggested Stewart would also get a start at 10. He has gone to the Force to play at 10, which is where he played for Junior Wallabies with Cron as coach (I think). I know he failed to take his chances at 10 for the Reds, but when he played there regularly, the Reds had some bizarre game plan where they had him at 2nd or 3rd receiver much of the time. The last game he played at 10 for the Reds was against Auckland in the 2021 Super Rugby when he was on the bench initially but came into the team at the last minute because of an injury in the warm-up. And I thought he had a good game on that occasion considering the circumstances.
It would stop other teams using the 10 channel as an attacking option as well.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Wayne Smith in the SMH suggested Stewart would also get a start at 10. He has gone to the Force to play at 10, which is where he played for Junior Wallabies with Cron as coach (I think). I know he failed to take his chances at 10 for the Reds, but when he played there regularly, the Reds had some bizarre game plan where they had him at 2nd or 3rd receiver much of the time. The last game he played at 10 for the Reds was against Auckland in the 2021 Super Rugby when he was on the bench initially but came into the team at the last minute because of an injury in the warm-up. And I thought he had a good game on that occasion considering the circumstances.
It would stop other teams using the 10 channel as an attacking option as well.
I think you will find he will be picked in next game at 12. Not sure he is rated as a 10 in this program.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure if anyone else noticed but Gleeson gets in quite a few off the ball stuff, nothing major but stuff like taking exception to being held on too long or past the ruck, or someone runs into his line as a decoy and deals with it. Could get him into trouble but certainly doesn't mind getting amongst it, good sign for a 21y/o to have a rough edge at this level.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not sure if anyone else noticed but Gleeson gets in quite a few off the ball stuff, nothing major but stuff like taking exception to being held on too long or past the ruck, or someone runs into his line as a decoy and deals with it. Could get him into trouble but certainly doesn't mind getting amongst it, good sign for a 21y/o to have a rough edge at this level.
And also doesn't take kindly to team mates giving him a guiding hand after he's cost the team 10m.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I did see that and wondered how that would be perceived given the Wallabies discipline issues already, the penalty where he was marched 10m for cracking the shits and kicking the ball away after Wallabies already conceded a penalty was a pretty bad look for test selection.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gleeson did not star in the Shute Shield preliminary final against Eastwood. He obviously has potential, but in what position? He is the size of a 7.

Maybe the bench.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
He's a 21 year old who has played less than a dozen games of pro rugby.

I think his progression this year has been phenomenal. I thought he had a very good game on Saturday and was outstanding in the Pacific Nations Cup earlier this year. Certainly a future Wallaby and I doubt it will be too far away.
Agree but the part about the Rugby media in Australia is also correct. As soon as one person says something every other reporter follows suit.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Right up until he steps over that very thin red line and the world will turn against him. Just ask Lachlan Swinton.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I am hoping Brad Wilkin gets another run, I'd like to see him put 2 good games together.

Yep agreed, lots of potential (seems to be the go with Aussie rugby at the moment, living on potential) and he feels like he's just getting started, but he turns 27 this year and has actually been around professional setups for a while. Need to show some consistency and stay injury free.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
BraveH, I am surprised I thought he was still a teenager. At 21 he needs to be showing more than last week's game. This was the first time I have watched him so this week may be interesting. If everybody has gone nuts over him I expect much the same from him. Nothing like criticism to get you off your arse!
First time you’ve watched him but numerous posts criticising him? Hmm.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Age does not automatically equate to experience.

He seems like a very good prospect. My only reservation is, as Wamb points out, that he isn't the biggest lad.

Plenty of smaller loosies make it in rugby, though. At the very least he'll be a big asset to the Tahs.

Tahs have a stacked backrow now. I count seven quality loose forwards: Hooper, Hanigan, RWV, Harris, Gleeson, Gamble, Swinton.

Too many for one team, almost.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Langi Gleeson has been fantastic for his experience level. At the start of the year he was having some sparing minutes in the trial games featuring almost none of the big time players and has now been included in the wider Wallabies squad.

He seems to have surprised a lot of people and I wonder if it is because he's come out of St Augustine's in the ISA comp in Sydney. He made Schoolboy rep teams but if he was straight out of Joeys, Scots etc we may have have seen more of him probably before we should... He's come from the Northern Beaches, gone to his local Club and earnt everything so far.

In last weekends game he was the only forward to make consistent meters at the line. Guys like Hanigan ran hard into the line but were being sent backwards.

For the Tahs my 5 backrowers for game day would be Hooper, Harris, Gleeson, Gamble, Hanigan. Swinton would be there but his injury seems to be a bit of a mystery at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.