• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia: now the worlds most hated team, and whinging saffas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
I have been holidaying in Thailand for the entire world cup and there have been articles in the Bangkok Post about the unsportsmanlike behaviour of the New Zealand fans. If these articles have been picked up by the main paper of a country that has no interest in rugby then I imagine a lot of other media outlets around the world would have run with the same stories.

New Zealand may have won the World Cup, but at what cost to it's national sporting reputation?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
After the RWC final, I think McCaw gave away any right for anyone to say quade niggles, McCaw gave a lesson in it and got away with it on the grandest stage, will people boo him, no. Cos the rest of the world has respect.

MCCaw gave and got a couple of questionable knees and niggles in last night and nothing has been said.

It may have been good to see a couple of AB players come out and denounce the actions of their fans that were out of line. May not be there place and in the end it may have suited them to have Cooper feeling the heat but its pretty poor form in my book.

On a different point my wife works at the airport in Brisbane. After the Reds game in the pool stages she saw the Crusaders team fly out. Most of the players were good to the fans but she saw Sir Richie being an absolute prick to several fans. Needless to say last night she was going for France and cant stand several of the ABs.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
MCCaw gave and got a couple of questionable knees and niggles in last night and nothing has been said.

It may have been good to see a couple of AB players come out and denounce the actions of their fans that were out of line. May not be there place and in the end it may have suited them to have Cooper feeling the heat but its pretty poor form in my book.

Actually G Henry basically endorsed this behaviour in his press conference after the semi... respect has to be earned etc etc

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)

I have to agree. The family discussed this and thought that all it would take is for Richie to get up and say 'enough is enough - this is not what rugby is about'. Didn't happen. As my daughter pointed out - they are the ones always going on about respect so why don't they try showing some for a change! - interresting thought.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Perhaps if Cooper had shown any kind of remorse, McCaw or the AB's might have spoken out in his defence. Do you think Quade regrets the way he carried on in the media and on Twitter when he first arrived in NZ for the RWC?

"It doesn't bother me at all, I don't mind being public enemy number one," Cooper told reporters. "I actually enjoy it. It's going to come with the territory..."

Or on Twitter:
"Finally finished my drug test..note to self hold on and don't piss b4 the game! Iv drunk so much water ima be up all night. overhydrated," he tweeted.

"Apparently its random lol not convinced."

When asked by a fellow tweeter if it was "just a random pick for testing?", Cooper replied: "Because I'm public enemy number 1."

Cooper, a Twitter addict who has just passed the 15,000 postings mark, on Monday said: "Nz media r struggling having to write about my piss. interesting."
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/article/-/10237965/quade-coopers-storm-in-a-wee-cup/

Do you think his 'cockyness' helped him or hindered him in the end? With the benefit of hindsight, do you think he would act the same again?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Perhaps if Cooper had shown any kind of remorse, McCaw or the AB's might have spoken out in his defence. Do you think Quade regrets the way he carried on in the media and on Twitter when he first arrived in NZ for the RWC?

"It doesn't bother me at all, I don't mind being public enemy number one," Cooper told reporters. "I actually enjoy it. It's going to come with the territory..."

Or on Twitter:
"Finally finished my drug test..note to self hold on and don't piss b4 the game! Iv drunk so much water ima be up all night. overhydrated," he tweeted.

"Apparently its random lol not convinced."

When asked by a fellow tweeter if it was "just a random pick for testing?", Cooper replied: "Because I'm public enemy number 1."

Cooper, a Twitter addict who has just passed the 15,000 postings mark, on Monday said: "Nz media r struggling having to write about my piss. interesting."
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/article/-/10237965/quade-coopers-storm-in-a-wee-cup/

Do you think his 'cockyness' helped him or hindered him in the end? With the benefit of hindsight, do you think he would act the same again?

Probably.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Probably.

...I tend to agree with you Blue. He would most likely carry on in exactly the same way. But some people then think McCaw and the AB's should have stood up for him and asked the NZ media and public to take it easy on Quade?! Give me a break.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
I have been holidaying in Thailand for the entire world cup and there have been articles in the Bangkok Post about the unsportsmanlike behaviour of the New Zealand fans. If these articles have been picked up by the main paper of a country that has no interest in rugby then I imagine a lot of other media outlets around the world would have run with the same stories.

New Zealand may have won the World Cup, but at what cost to it's national sporting reputation?

Absolutely no cost to our sporting reputation. It's has been an excellent tournament that visitors have loved. The atmosphere at the 4 games I went to was amazing and most fans of the game have had a great time.

There is always going to some that have come in to contact with dickheads but that happens the world over. Just like there is always going to be people that hoped this tournament failed.

I might be biased but this is my third tournament in a row and by far the best. :D

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Absolutely no cost to our sporting reputation. It's has been an excellent tournament that visitors have loved. The atmosphere at the 4 games I went to was amazing and most fans of the game have had a great time.

There is always going to some that have come in to contact with dickheads but that happens the world over. Just like there is always going to be people that hoped this tournament failed.

I might be biased but this is my third tournament in a row and by far the best. :D

Absolutely. Spent a lot of time in bars with lots of crazy Welsh, Irish, Canadian and English fans, all whom had a great time, and many of whom said we were friendly and wonderful hosts. Many of whom said they would come back/recommend NZ to everyone they knew.

Didn't see many aussies out, but that's just the luck of the draw I suppose.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
if australia is most hated, i think its safe to say after listening to interviews over the last week and into today that the All Blacks are the smuggest team in the history of all sports. Honestly, from Henry last week taking a shot at quade at the presser while Richie giggled like a schoolgirl, to Richie not mentioning the french at all last night in his post game speech, to the players today acting like they ran over opposition and had a divine right to hold that cup. I hate booing, but i no longer respect the All Blacks, there a big part of the problem and there aura is one of cutting corners and whinging to achieve there self imposed right.

i give the 2011 all blacks 3 out of 15.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Absolutely. Spent a lot of time in bars with lots of crazy Welsh, Irish, Canadian and English fans, all whom had a great time, and many of whom said we were friendly and wonderful hosts. Many of whom said they would come back/recommend NZ to everyone they knew.

Didn't see many aussies out, but that's just the luck of the draw I suppose.

I was there for the first three weeks & had a blast, sure there was the occasional dickhead, but I get them a home to.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
if australia is most hated, i think its safe to say after listening to interviews over the last week and into today that the All Blacks are the smuggest team in the history of all sports. Honestly, from Henry last week taking a shot at quade at the presser while Richie giggled like a schoolgirl, to Richie not mentioning the french at all last night in his post game speech, to the players today acting like they ran over opposition and had a divine right to hold that cup. I hate booing, but i no longer respect the All Blacks, there a big part of the problem and there aura is one of cutting corners and whinging to achieve there self imposed right.

i give the 2011 all blacks 3 out of 15.

Well that 3 cant be Weepu penalty....

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I find this thread very cringe worthy as people clamour for the moral high ground by trying to cast dispersions at the other side and trying to over analyse things that may or may not have been said. Fault can be found in all participants in Coopergate, but what’s the point now. It’s over, NZ won and deservedly so. There is no award for who has the most moral high ground, nor is moral high ground achieved by throwing crap at others.

I think its time we all move on.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Totally agree Mark.
There is nothing to be gained by counter-arguments with anecdotes about who saw what piece of poor sportsmanship at what game by what set of fans.
It was a great RWC, NZ deservedly won it in a great final.
Harping on about these issues just sounds bitter.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Kath & Kim: casting nasturtiums or dispersions and not an aspersion to be seen. Must have been very pleasant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

Watching on television, would have to agree it has been a very good tournament. I have two buts, one is the terrible jeering and booing of kickers that seems to be the accepted norm at rugby matches around the world. I HATE it with a passion. There is always absolute silence for the kicker at Thomond and Musgrave parks whether it is a munster or an away kick. Genarally there is silence at Lansdowne rd as well for both sides. Why can't people just shut the fuck up; some say that the silence is almost more frightening.
My second 'but' is please can all the preciousness about the HAKA end. Having directives about where people are to stand and look is fecking ridiculous. If people want to stand eye ball to eyeball, let them (although you will need to get the microphone out of the way first; do NZ do a sound check as part of the captain's run?) or if they want to do what Campo did and feck off and do their own thing let them. The whole 'respecting cultural history' thing is deeply patronising to the rest of the world. Do your gurning morris dance by all means but please don't give us all this cultural pretensiousness. I would like to see us celts turn round and responding to your war dance by exposing our backsides which is what we would have done historically or we could just sing the anthems and get on with the game like everyone else. You have organised a great tournament and you are in my experience great people but this stuff makes you look a bit foolish.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
...I tend to agree with you Blue. He would most likely carry on in exactly the same way. But some people then think McCaw and the AB's should have stood up for him and asked the NZ media and public to take it easy on Quade?! Give me a break.

They should not or did not have to stand up for quade but Henry didn't have to do the opposite and condone the crowd treatment. It can escalate when a respected person does that.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Totally agree Mark.
There is nothing to be gained by counter-arguments with anecdotes about who saw what piece of poor sportsmanship at what game by what set of fans.
It was a great RWC, NZ deservedly won it in a great final.
Harping on about these issues just sounds bitter.

Nothing to be gained by arguing over a coaches selections either but we still do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.