• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia: now the worlds most hated team, and whinging saffas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Another bit of show of respect/sportsmanship, good to read today that Jonah Lomu had attended Wallabies training after loss on weekend to say 'chins up' , not what you would see someone doing to a hated team. I was really pleased to see this, and also to see he out of hospital, he been real sick last few weeks.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I hate the booing, but you really do cop shit as an away-fan anywhere. I've spent years going to Bledisloes in Sydney, and let me tell that is one looooooonely train ride home.

at least we dont try run underground trains on diesel as they do in Auckland....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
At least their trains run.

touche - although the one time i caught it after a bledisloe I dont think the plural was applicable: there seemed to be just one running back and forth.
However i will say that the NZers were very understanding of our crapness.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Have to laugh at the Kiwis giving us crap about the bronze medal play off. Considering they have played in it 3 times and won it twice!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Actually was wondering that myself IS, have Wllabies got taste buds in strange places??

this week we have to take what ever's dished out I reckon......but i will not have sexual relations with that bird (which is really just a kind of midget emu - mechanically speaking)

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Rugby crowds are certainly different nowadays. I suspect many are there for an evening out on the grog rather than for the game, about which they no very little. Attention spans are so shortlived, that large numbers resort to throwing abuse, beer, and indulging themselves with endless, mindless Mexican waves.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Have to laugh at the Kiwis giving us crap about the bronze medal play off. Considering they have played in it 3 times and won it twice!

I'm looking forward to the game, we have a first class international to watch on Friday night.

J

Jay

Get back to me when the Wallabies manage to win one.

(But seriously, it is a bit rich, I agree).

I've never liked the 3rd place play off. But at least in this case both sides will be treating it seriously - in 03 the French put out what was basically a second string lineup.

B

BronzeLol

2d7bjgh.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Get back to me when the Wallabies manage to win one.

(But seriously, it is a bit rich, I agree).

I've never liked the 3rd place play off. But at least in this case both sides will be treating it seriously - in 03 the French put out what was basically a second string lineup.

makes more sense that putting one out in the pools

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It has been a very interesting WC. Had breakfast with a few friends yesterday that had been over for the cup.
They were surprised at the venom that came from the Kiwi towards Cooper, most that had travelled over with Paul and Chris were of the same opinion that the Kiwi’s have lost a great deal of respect. In fact of the crew that were staying for the final most were backing the French, and hoping that the AB’s lost. If you would have suggested that 2 years ago I would be barracking for a French win over the Kiwis then I would have said bullshit never would I want a French team to win. Well the world cup changed my mind as it did for my mates over there for the cup.
They said at times the rage towards Cooper was so extreme that they felt it would have been unsafe for him to go outside his hotel. As indeed he never ventured out unless to a team organised event.
I say it is small man (nation) syndrome.Deadset what a disgrace a lot of those AB supporters have been over the last month or so.
The good natured ribbing we enjoyed over years past was gone by only to be replaced by a hatred like you would expect to see from ferrel supporters at a EPL game. New Zealand rugby supporters (Not ALL) need to grow up and grow a brain. A quote in a earlier post quoted Henry as saying “you have to earn respect” and I would agree. However respect is also lost and New Zealand as a nation have lost the respect of far more many rugby followers around the world over the last month or so. They all bitched to a man that Cooper showed Richie no respect well after McCaw’s knee to the head of a French player did he deserve the respect in the first place?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah I agree mate. If you had of told me even 6 months ago that I would find my self backing pretty much anyone over the kiwis except for us or a real underdog, than I would have called bullshit, but this wc has exposed a dark side to the darkness.

I think it was poor form from them at times, but in the long run it might end up coming back to haunt them as this rivalry is going to kick off big time, especially after the french showed last night that the only way to (nearly) beat the all blacks is to absolutely smash them at every opportunity. I can see our encounters being increasingly physical as the wallabies go in search of the ultimate scalp.

I now resent the the all blacks more than ever - this whole idea that they somehow deserve to be respected and have their 'aura' left in tact - is just plain bullshit. The fact that we want to beat you so bad that our players resort to niggle to put yours off their game, is the greatest complement of all. Thats real respect.

W

WhoDaresWin

It has been a very interesting WC. Had breakfast with a few friends yesterday that had been over for the cup.
They were surprised at the venom that came from the Kiwi towards Cooper, most that had travelled over with Paul and Chris were of the same opinion that the Kiwi’s have lost a great deal of respect. In fact of the crew that were staying for the final most were backing the French, and hoping that the AB’s lost. If you would have suggested that 2 years ago I would be barracking for a French win over the Kiwis then I would have said bullshit never would I want a French team to win. Well the world cup changed my mind as it did for my mates over there for the cup.
They said at times the rage towards Cooper was so extreme that they felt it would have been unsafe for him to go outside his hotel. As indeed he never ventured out unless to a team organised event.
I say it is small man (nation) syndrome.Deadset what a disgrace a lot of those AB supporters have been over the last month or so.
The good natured ribbing we enjoyed over years past was gone by only to be replaced by a hatred like you would expect to see from ferrel supporters at a EPL game. New Zealand rugby supporters (Not ALL) need to grow up and grow a brain. A quote in a earlier post quoted Henry as saying “you have to earn respect” and I would agree. However respect is also lost and New Zealand as a nation have lost the respect of far more many rugby followers around the world over the last month or so. They all bitched to a man that Cooper showed Richie no respect well after McCaw’s knee to the head of a French player did he deserve the respect in the first place?

Well, that's not what James Horwill said... "I think it was a minority of the public doing it, because any time we walked around New Zealand there was more people stopping Quade and asking for autographs and photos than I've seen of any footballer. The New Zealand public were very hospitable towards us and Quade in particular."

@Bowside ... Yes, it is indeed a great compliment when players resort to niggle but Coopers action were just plain stupid and that of a coward. Stupid in the sense that it gave McCaw more ammo to want to win, especially that Semifinal and coward because those cheap shots were done with either McCaw facing the other way or lying on the ground unable to defend himself.
And like you said, "The fact that we want to beat you so bad" were IMO borne out of Coopers actions.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...cooper-grow-20111022-1me2r.html#ixzz1bf7vk9e7

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What would you expect Horwill to say.
That the Kiwis were a pack of pricks. NB i did not say All Kiwi supporters were like this.
However the 2 guys I know went to 3 games and were appalled by the behaviour of a lot of the NZ supporters.
They said when you looked at the faces of those yelling abuse around them they looked like they wanted to pull heads off and they were in a expensive part of the stands.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Well, that's not what James Horwill said... "I think it was a minority of the public doing it, because any time we walked around New Zealand there was more people stopping Quade and asking for autographs and photos than I've seen of any footballer. The New Zealand public were very hospitable towards us and Quade in particular."

@Bowside ... Yes, it is indeed a great compliment when players resort to niggle but Coopers action were just plain stupid and that of a coward. Stupid in the sense that it gave McCaw more ammo to want to win, especially that Semifinal and coward because those cheap shots were done with either McCaw facing the other way or lying on the ground unable to defend himself.
And like you said, "The fact that we want to beat you so bad" were IMO borne out of Coopers actions.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...cooper-grow-20111022-1me2r.html#ixzz1bf7vk9e7

After the RWC final, I think McCaw gave away any right for anyone to say quade niggles, McCaw gave a lesson in it and got away with it on the grandest stage, will people boo him, no. Cos the rest of the world has respect.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Horwill is a fine diplomat. I would be very interested in what he would say out of the public eye in support of his team mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.