• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina, Sept 14th in Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Interesting article in the Crimes...

Genia has given White two pairs of boots as a gift for his first test start....

It also turns out White strained his groin in the warm up before playing the Chiefs in the final...

Fuck I hope White tears it up. Maybe he's the spark the team need. His kicking will be massive and should take some/ alot of pressure off Quade.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
far
Agree with this wholeheartedly. Problem is, the whole team seem to be complacent in their positions at the moment..

I really like the inclusion of White. I hope he revs everyone up and yells at the forwards. Hopefully it will wake Genia up and he'll come off the bench keen to prove himself.

Richo same here mate. Cannot, for the life of me, figure out why Alexander was the only change in the forwards. WOuld've moved fardy to lock, mowen to 6 and McCalman to 8 personally.

Interesting point that. Genia yells plenty. Passing quickly off the ground is more important than management consulting.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
far

Interesting point that. Genia yells plenty. Passing quickly off the ground is more important than management consulting.

Fair point, but maybe the team are accustomed to the same voice? I dunno im just trying to find things to be positive about....

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Fair point, but maybe the team are accustomed to the same voice? I dunno im just trying to find things to be positive about..

lewisr, I think we have plenty to be positive about. This current situation has to be about rock bottom for us, although Saturday could admittedly turn worse, because the Pumas are no easybeats, but as fans we simply have to man up about that possibility (although of course the players must not).

There's no reason we can't turn our talented individuals into points and wins. We have good players, who are currently in a bad mental and form place, but we're also missing a bunch of critical game makers, such as our ideal backrow. Our first team in form can obviously win, because they have done in the past.

Where we're obviously struggling is the scrum. We might have won that particular refereeing guideline lottery, but instead, due to the unintended consequence of the hooker not being able to easily strike, we lost it. Unlucky. Time to man up, be adaptable and move on. It can't really turn any further against us.

Onwards and upwards, I say! I'd rather see us take a chance than retreat into our shells, to be beaten by teams better at that. But right now of course I'd take some wins.

Go Wallabies!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
"Rugby is a game of chess and we will look forward to the challenge of getting the right balance and our first Rugby Championship win"
I really, really dislike viewing it like this. Rugby is such a passion game where thinkers are needed but passion comes first.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I wouldn't use the word passion, I like collision sport. It's all about collisions and winning them first and foremost.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
and congrats to Mowen and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Don't mind Mowen but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) getting the VC sends a bad message. He is the most selfish player on the field and yet he is rewarded for it instead of punished. If Genia can be dropped so can he.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Don't mind Mowen but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) getting the VC sends a bad message. He is the most selfish player on the field and yet he is rewarded for it instead of punished. If Genia can be dropped so can he.

I don't really think it's fair to link his ball hogging skills to his team player attributes. We don't really know what hes like as a person in and around the team... I think its more of an offset on Mowens 7 test caps. Least capped captain since 1961 apparently.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TPN would only replace Moore on current form...

Otherwise Moore is definitely the better test hooker..

It isn't about who starts, it is about getting 80 minutes of better quality. Both are better when they can invest their efforts into a maximum of 50 min. When they have Faainga as back up they manage their efforts and try to play for 80 min

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

He had the same leadership role with the Tahs this season, and apparently was very well regarded in the role

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
It is going to be very pleasant around here next week after the Qanatas Wallabies have smashed the puma's. Perhaps the in fighting and general air of despondency will cease for two weeks.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
From the G&GR Rugby News email:

"The other change to the starting team was the promotion of Ben Alexander to run-on tighthead in hopes of fixing the shaky Wallabies scrum."

Says it all, really.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
C'mon Aeneas, I am told that there is as much love between <insert NZ Province team name> supporters and <insert NZ Province team name> supporters when it comes to many AIG selections as there is on here between <insert Aust Soup Franchise> supporters and <insert Aust Soup Franchise> supporters regarding any Wobs selection.

I think that we are insulated from that here on Gaggerland, because we haven't reached critical mass of NZ supporters and most of the NZers posting are not of the petty kind.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Look at how good the argies scrum was vs the AB's last week. Let's face it, we're going to get dismantled come scrum time so we may as well have someone on who doesn't waddle around the field as much as kepu.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Ben Mowen as captain should improve the rapport with the ref this weekend. Can't be a bad thing.

Ben Alexander is an improvement over Kepu, both in the scrum and in the open. Won't dominate the opposition LHP but is capable from time to time of having a very strong game in the scrum and is undoubtedly better in open play. Maybe the scrum effectiveness is as much to do with who plays TH lock. Seems this is one of Simmons' weaknesses. Still expect the Argies to gain the advantage at scrum time, but hopefully we can put up a better effort than last week's.

Nic White won't let us down in his first run on test. I anticipate Link will have him doing a lot of field position kicking to try to keep the Argies in their own half, but we will need to step up the kick chase for this to be successful.

I don't particularly rate Dave Dennis at test level but imo he does offer better go forward than Ben McCalman. Maybe he should be given another go at 8 to allow Mowen to move back to his preferred 6 spot, and Fardy to replace Simmons in the second row.

Expect to see Matt To'omua get an early run if we are behind on the scoreboard say by half time.

Think the score will be close and game could go either way, but a loss this time will be very hard to take.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I feel like the selection of THP is almost irrelevant in terms of our scrum if Simmons is playing tight head lock.

As has been spelled out, there are so many things wrong with our scrum right now that don't seem to be being addressed.

1. Our best prop in the last five years isn't in the squad.
2. We're playing a loose head lock at tight head lock who isn't known for his scrummaging ability.
3. Our number 8 is shifting his position mid scrum to pick the ball up in the preferred channel whilst our scrum is going backwards and under pressure.
4. Our number 8 is picking the ball up whilst the scrum is under pressure and passing it to our halfback who is about a metre away from him. This is pointless.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oh well.

We are probably going to get beaten in the scrum.

We should hold our own in the lineouts, and possibly pinch one or two off Los Pumas.

We should be more accurate and dominant at the Breakdown contest. The Argies have some good individual loosies, but like us they don't perform as an integrated wolf pack.

Our backline can't have too many brain farts left. We have had a season worth of them already.

I get the feeling that Cooper will be playing for his future as run on in the #10 Jumper.

Two Dads must use up this seasons allocation of passes in this game. Gilbert must flow to the wings in a timely manner with space for manoeuvre. This hasn't happened so far.

Despite the gloom over our piggies getting bitchslapped by the Bokke last weekend, and our princesses not performing, the tea leaves say She'll be right.

Wobs by 15-20. Argies will only stay in touch due to penalties.

Time to get behind our Men in Gold and stop being so bloody miserable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Pumas lineout was so poor last weekend, I wonder if when they get a scrum penalty they'll just pack another scrum and try and march us up the field a couple of metres each time?

It's a bit of a negative tactic but if their scrum is totally dominant, they could just keep repacking scrums looking for yellow cards in the middle of the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.