• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina, Sept 14th in Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wallabies:

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Rob Simmons
5. Kane Douglas
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben Mowen (c)
9. Nic White
10. Quade Cooper
11. Nick Cummins
12. Christian Leali'ifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. James O'Connor
15. Israel Folau

Replacements
16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Scott Sio
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Sitaleki Timani
20. Ben McCalman
21. Will Genia
22. Matt To'omua
23. Tevita Kuridrani

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
This could be said about Simmons, Douglas, and even Horwill this year. All of these players have had excellent test matches, average test matches and poor test matches.

He is near the Wallabies again because we lack options and the options we have are not performing consistently well.

I certainly think Neville and Carter (let's add Pyle to that list as well) are worthy of squad selection and potentially test selection in the next couple of years (or this year) but to say they are far better options surely just ignores the fact that now two Wallaby coaches have decided that isn't the case.

Previously everyone blamed Deans for not selecting these players but now McKenzie has reached similar conclusions. Either all the coaches are idiots and can't tell which players are more suited to test rugby than others or perhaps the evaluations made by fans shouldn't be taken as gospel.

So we should all shut up about the selections. This would be a very dull site if we were to do that.

In the end, Deans was sacked because he didn't get results with his selections. Unfortunately, Link is showing signs of going the same way because he is recycling Deans' failed experiments. Does make me wonder. I think he is better than that, and sincerely hope he is. Maybe he is just waiting for the EOYT to make the sorts of changes I, and a lot of other quite sane and well-versed posters on this site, are hoping to see.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if Simmons is going to pack on the tight head lock side again?

Only two changes to the starting XV and two changes to the 23 overall seems like a pretty small change after suffering a record defeat at home.

Hopefully White makes a difference at halfback. We will need him to raise the tempo considerably.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Would have loved to see Gill there but 2 changes address the worst two spots last week.

If dropping the captain is not the sign many of these guys need that they must perform or go then not much will help them.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Kuridrani on the bench over Mogg. Does not look like they intend to do much more kicking than last week.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I'm surprised Link with Hooper over Gill. Gill while not possessing the ball running skill Hooper has, appears to have more weight behind him and is stronger in contact in my non-reds bias opinion.

Otherwise, glad to see White given a go, knowing Genia it wouldn't surprise me to see steam coming off his head as he sits on the bench on Saturday night.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm surprised Link with Hooper over Gill. Gill while not possessing the ball running skill Hooper has, appears to have more weight behind him and is stronger in contact in my non-reds bias opinion.

Otherwise, glad to see White given a go, knowing Genia it wouldn't surprise me to see steam coming off his head as he sits on the bench on Saturday night.

One thing I've found curious is that I haven't seen anyones remark on Bob Dwyer's comment that he's heard Genia doesn't take instruction well. I'm sure that - if it's true - that would come as no big surprise to anyone who's watched him play over the last few years.

Let him steam away as much as he likes until he learns how to speak to his own team-mates during a game and finds his own form again before giving the evils to everyone else.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Personally, I'm shocked that the only forward dropped was Kepu (and for Alexander, who has repeatedly failed as well). Last week was one of the most pathetic performances from an Aussie forward pack in quite a few years.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll see the same rubbish again this week from the same bunch of forwards.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Kuridrani on the bench over Mogg. Does not look like they intend to do much more kicking than last week.

Not sure about that. I'm hoping he's in there for his size and that our 'dumbed down' gameplan includes a play very similar to this.......

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just read this in the SMH:

McKenzie remains confident of avoiding any banan skins against the Pumas, "Rugby is a game of chess and we will look forward to the challenge of getting the right balance and our first Rugby Championship win," the coach said.

This is what I'm talking about re: physicality and mongrel. It's not a game of chess. It's a battle. It's a fight. It's a war first and foremost. Lose that part fo the game and everything else doesn't matter.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mowen needs to step up at 8. He's shown his skill at 6 but been average at best at 8. Douglas needs to show he deserves the spot or he might not get it again. Moore needs to show how good he really is. Folau needs to show he can kick. Cummins needs to show he can catch.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
And I think I have to tip Argentina here. They'll score a couple and be ahead by 16 with the game almost over, but we'll score a try in the end to lose by 9.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
^^^^ this is good. When the supporters start tipping the opposition the tide is surely about to turn!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I guess that's a reflection on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s form...

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

My guess is that Link would rather carry a direct replacement for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) so it's easy to sub AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) if he puts in another poor performance. Likewise it's also easy to also sub, say, Cummins if he puts in another poor performance by moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing.

With just Mogg, there's no replacement for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) other than Cummins, who is more of a part time 13 and he hasn't played there in a while.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, I thought the same thing.

My guess is that Link would rather carry a direct replacement for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) so it's easy to sub AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) if he puts in another poor performance. Likewise it's also easy to also sub, say, Cummins if he puts in another poor performance by moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing.

With just Mogg, there's no replacement for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) other than Cummins, who is more of a part time 13 and he hasn't played there in a while.

Just who in this side isn't under threat?

Folau?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just who in this side isn't under threat?

Folau?

I don't know if that's rhetorical or not!

I reckon Folau, maybe JOC (James O'Connor) from the backs. From the forwards, I reckon Fardy, maybe Slipper. The only other forward with some "currency" from his performances recently is Hooper. That's it.

If we had credible alternatives for the other positions, then I reckon that a fair amount (not all; you can't chop and change that much in my book) of them would be out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.