• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match III, SCG, Sat 16th July 7.55pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The only way I can see Hodge not being in the 23, or the starting 15 for that matter, this weekend is if Petaia uses Jonnny Sexton's medical team to get cleared of his HIA.
I guess we are a little light in the back three. If he is, hopefully he shows a marked improvement. His end of year form was getting better, but he really wasn't where he needed to be...

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was even in the squad. If not, no way he comes into a test match under-prepared.

Front row needs to be beefed up in the first half. Back row could be stronger, physically too.

I'd go with :

Slipper,
Fainga'a,
Ala'alatoa,
Philip,
Holloway/Frost,
Leota,
Samu,
Valetini,
White,
Lolesio,
Koroebete,
Kerevi (pass the ball mate),
Ikitau,
Wright,
Hodge,

Porecki,
Bell,
Tupou,
Frost/Hanigan,
Wilson,
McDermott (for something different late in the game),
Paisami,
Vunivalu.
Fainga’a?
If a hooker can’t throw a ball in straight after all their practise?
Porecki for 80 mins.
Agree, Kerevi needs to mix his game up…..and try passing it!

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Who you dropping for Wilson?

I feel like Gordon hasn't done anything to warrant being dropped and he actually was really good in game 1, had some nice flat passes in game 2 (well beside the one he pushed forward, but you could see he was pushing things a little chasing the game).

Vunivalu I like as the exciting possibility, but he's had so little showing in Super Rugby and truthfully, I'm not sure it's our backs which are the issue (injuries aside). Also I really don't see the value of Vunivalu on the bench as he doesn't cover much, but I guess with where we are at in terms of back stock this is looking like it could be his time. He's one of the few left who has been in the squad since day 1.
I would put Leota back to bench to cover second row/backrow and then Valentini 6, Wilson 8.
Fair point with Gordon.
Vunivalu I just feel like we need to take the punt and see how he goes on the end of a good backline, time to start taking some selection risks as world cup not far away

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I would put Leota back to bench to cover second row/backrow and then Valentini 6, Wilson 8.
Fair point with Gordon.
Vunivalu I just feel like we need to take the punt and see how he goes on the end of a good backline, time to start taking some selection risks as world cup not far away
I like Wilson a lot, but what is he bringing that we are lacking (genuine question)? He's pretty similar to Leota in terms of tackle success last I looked, but on average had less punch (meters gained). I really like his off the ball work and link play, but considering he's a tad lighter is he enhancing our go forward.. scrum.. breakdown more than Leota? I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run, but I'm unsure he's bringing much of a point of difference... he might be hungrier than Leota I guess...

Is a series decider when you take a punt with Vunivalu? I feel like if we'd won the last game he'd be up for the third. The way our back stocks are looking it might not even be a punt, it may be necessary to give him a run.

I always feel whenever we loose a game every pundit is looking to change the mix to acheive some magic solution, but honestly sometimes it's not about changing a player here or there... sometimes it's just a collective thing.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The more I think about it, the more I think we need to get LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) into the 23 as reserve lock at the very least. He's good there and proven at test level and this series is on the line. We need a big strong body to counter the English pack.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I like Wilson a lot, but what is he bringing that we are lacking (genuine question)? He's pretty similar to Leota in terms of tackle success last I looked, but on average had less punch (meters gained). I really like his off the ball work and link play, but considering he's a tad lighter is he enhancing our go forward.. scrum.. breakdown more than Leota? I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run, but I'm unsure he's bringing much of a point of difference... he might be hungrier than Leota I guess...

Is a series decider when you take a punt with Vunivalu? I feel like if we'd won the last game he'd be up for the third. The way our back stocks are looking it might not even be a punt, it may be necessary to give him a run.

I always feel whenever we loose a game every pundit is looking to change the mix to acheive some magic solution, but honestly sometimes it's not about changing a player here or there... sometimes it's just a collective thing.
Wilson is a better ball carrier than Leota, who hasn't really had any impact will ball in hand so far. He also has a significant effect on the team around him, we couldn't certainly use the energy he brings. I think Leota could be better utilised ripping in for ~30 minutes off the bench at this stage.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes, Wilson carried for over a 1000m in Super Rugby this year, second only to Tom Banks from all Australian players and 10th overall in al SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) players. He may not have quite the brute force of Leota but his game is much more refined.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
My suggested 23
Bell, Porecki, AAA, Philip, Frost, Leota, Hooper, Valetini, White, Lolesio, Koribete, Kerevi, Ikatau (if fit, otherwise Paisami),Wright, Hodge. Bench Faainga, Slipper, TT, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Samu, Gordon, JOC (James O'Connor), Vunivalu

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't see we need to make wholesale changes, really only the forced ones. This team won the first test and scored two tries to one in the second. All we need to do differently is switch on from the kick off and front up physically in those first twenty minutes, give away far fewer stupid penalties, and clear effectively out of our own 22 (one job Hodge is manifestly suited to). I am not nearly as quick as many here to change everything at the first hint of a challenge.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think we have been solidly beaten at the breakdown for the majority of the first two tests. We need to compete here better, specifically in the first quarter. I think that Rennie will make a couple of unforced changes. I would like to see Wilson start at 6 or 8 and McDermott come onto the bench. Hopefully Ikitau and AAA are good to go.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone thinking that all our problems are going to be solved by dropping Gordon who has played about 15mins across two tests is having a laugh.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
No one thinks that, but a level head to direct play in the last 10 minutes last week sure might have helped

Status
Not open for further replies.