• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match III, SCG, Sat 16th July 7.55pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Look at the stats.
132 carries to 63
209 passes to 65
107 to 41 rucks won

One team played rugby. The other defended and kicked.

Somehow the penalty count was 10 and 11. To a team who defended that much to only get penalised 11 times is pretty impressive. This was the difference in the Abz Ireland game as well. Defence wins the game. I really think the refs should reward running rugby more. Unfortunetly at the moment they reward defending teams more at test level. It is what it is.

But the stats make for boring rugby.in a country where the game is dying

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
A typical Paisami game, some solid straight running but also some poor passes and decision making. I much prefer Ikitau at 13. I think Petaia would be the next best 13 which doesn't seem to be an option for Petaia which is talked about too often these days (although I feel his best games for the walalbies were at 13).
I love paisami but he is a small center. Punches way above his weight. If Hodge was a better passer of the ball he could be a good 12 (can kick and has some playmaking ability) or just sit him at 13. Massive guy and he runs straight. He is basically Mortlock but bigger. He should have been playing 13 all his life and I bet he would be there for the Wallabies. Does foketi get a start next test ?

Last edited:

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
You have a point here - attacking teams should be rewarded and given benefit of the doubt.

Those stats also suggested that we were fairly dominant in that game and really needed to ice those opportunities.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Those are stats are typical for an England V Aus game though. They always play to grind out a win. Johnny Wilkinson kicked penalties not scored tries. They have been winning that way for decades.

Whilst I do agree the attacking team should get the benefit of the doubt, I also don't think the stats mean too much given you can win a rugby game in many ways besides playing "running rugby" its part of the reason the game is so good.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think we get more out of Quade against team like Argentina then we do from Kerevi..

I think Quade is possibly the most key player in the squad given the lack of depth at 10. Or maybe the 'final piece of the puzzle' is better then 'key' given how close we came this series.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Look at the stats.
132 carries to 63
209 passes to 65
107 to 41 rucks won

One team played rugby. The other defended and kicked.

Somehow the penalty count was 10 and 11. To a team who defended that much to only get penalised 11 times is pretty impressive. This was the difference in the Abz Ireland game as well. Defence wins the game. I really think the refs should reward running rugby more. Unfortunetly at the moment they reward defending teams more at test level. It is what it is.

But the stats make for boring rugby.in a country where the game is dying
I haven't had a chance to look at the stats across all the more recent international games, but does that actually show up in the stats? Those with a larger defensive game vs playing more rugby are winning more consistently?

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
The White brain explosion trying to run it out of the 22 before half time was the most pivotal point of the game, more so than the 2 potential bombed try’s
yeah....nah.
Wallabies lack of conversion of opportunities in the first 15min and basically the whole second half was the difference. Top 2 or 3 teams in the world have a higher much conversion rate from entries into the 22. Mistakes cost us early, knock ons, forward pass, and then in the last 20 mins despite a couple of 8+ phase attacks we couldn't get it done. Don't forget that Wright doesn't score without White chasing through to support on the inside and throw the 1-2 pass! That should have been the pivotal moment! Look at the carries, pass, metres gained stats - should have put hem away by 14+ at least

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
yeah....nah.
Wallabies lack of conversion of opportunities in the first 15min and basically the whole second half was the difference. Top 2 or 3 teams in the world have a higher much conversion rate from entries into the 22. Mistakes cost us early, knock ons, forward pass, and then in the last 20 mins despite a couple of 8+ phase attacks we couldn't get it done. Don't forget that Wright doesn't score without White chasing through to support on the inside and throw the 1-2 pass! That should have been the pivotal moment! Look at the carries, pass, metres gained stats - should have put hem away by 14+ at least
In rugby the possession and carry stats often favour the less dominant team. Rugby is primarily about territory and execution - which is why i felt like we played a very Cheika-esque game last night. All big carries and line-breaks for little end product.

And there was no one pivotal moment, we made a series of stupid mistakes. Death by a thousand cuts:
- Tupou's pass
- Hodge's pass
- Wilson's cleanout in the 22
- White's boxkick into Paisami
- White's inability to clear in 22
- Lineout/Lolesio contriving to give Smith a free run to the line
etc

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sport's a funny one, if Smith's intercept didn't fall so nicely for him we win, it's a series victory and we're praising Rennie's amazing coaching. All our players ratings get bumped from 5 to 7, all on the fall of a ball. It's the best I've felt after a series loss in a while. I'm under no illusions we're a top 3 side but content in our top 6.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t really care what Ireland did. It’s not relevant. Do they have 16 rugby league clubs in Ireland actively poaching players?
Ireland also have a government offering ridiculously generous tax breaks for athletes to play domestically, Australia doesn't have that nor will it ever. Dynamics are completely different over there.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Ireland also have a government offering ridiculously generous tax breaks for athletes to play domestically, Australia doesn't have that nor will it ever. Dynamics are completely different over there.
Yeah plus the budgets are bigger in the north. I don’t mind Ireland though happy to see them do well.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I haven't had a chance to look at the stats across all the more recent international games, but does that actually show up in the stats? Those with a larger defensive game vs playing more rugby are winning more consistently?
Might be more of an England thing. I think the Irish had most the ball in that game. Def in the second half

Status
Not open for further replies.