• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England Test 1 Sat. July 2 @1955

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
No thanks. I played in the days when the referee was the sole judge of everything (linesman were provided by each team). That is a recipe for mayhem on the ref's blindside.

But the match referee should be the final arbiter, after he has reviewed the video evidence and the opinions of the other officials.
So did pretty much anyone who has played rugby down here and rugby even with that is less prone to blow ups than Aussie rules

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How good waking up with a win. Can’t say I managed to get the greater nuances of the game at the pub last night, definitely merits a re-watch.

Neville was awesome. As was Koroibete again, how can we play without him. Such a unique weird player, from that certain try saving tackle in the first half, to his 20m spontaneous pick & goes. Love that guy.

also Kerevi’s kicks were weirdly good. Nice nudges from Kellaway too.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
I watched the game with a large group, some rugby fans, some not. Pretty much everyone found the first half a drag, wasn’t a great advertisement for the game. There was a lot of commentary around why it it took so long to go back and review the hair pull and headbutt incident. Those guys has clearly not watched much Super Rugby this year, I was used to 6 reviews a game.

But everyone was glued and cheering with 20mins to go.
Similar here, watched with casual sports fans at the game. First half was very stop start with neither team getting any continuity. Long time spent looking at TMO replays. Also there was 2 scrums that were reset twice that took a lot of time. They really got into it during second half though.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
What a great feeling this morning!

Thought that the debutants were enormous, Noah & Jordy both really stepped up and showed composure that we don't necessarily usually see from them at Test level, Kellaway's game at fullback suggested he is the long-term option there, Jake The Snake & Pistol Pete made an instant impact off the bench, Matty Philip was bending the line more than usual, the Robs were solid (really good handling from both) and Slips was phenomenal to play that long, on the wrong side of the scrum, and have such an impact. Don't understand how Kerevi was MOTM, though he and Koro certainly were busy and looking for work. A really pleasing result. On a side note, I thought that this was a very apt tweet:

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
That was a really gutsy, pleasing result, with every player plus the coaching staff deserving huge credit, but I just want to focus on three for a moment (not necessarily the best three).
Kellaway showed, as he did last year, that he is a really complete rugby player. This was a bit of a punt by Rennie, based principally on Kellaway's performances last year. There was a lot of pressure to pick Wright after a great Super season, or Vunivalu for his X factor, whereas Kellaway had an indifferent Super season, being moved from position to position on the end of an under-performing backline. But last night, everything he did was quality, a big tick for him and also for Rennie.
The next is Lolesio. I'll put my hand up, I have been far from convinced by him in the past, and have said so. Last night he was really thrown in at the deep end, but after looking (understandably) a little unsettled early, he really stepped up and produced a very assured performance. This was a huge ask under the circumstances, and he passed every test. I look forward to him being our long-term 10.
Thirdly, Porecki. After being selected basically as our least worst line-out thrower, he gave the sort of performance we expect of All Black hookers. His throwing was excellent, he was part of a front row that matched its' bigger and more experienced opponents, was second on the tackle count (and first until he was subbed off), and third behind Kerevi and Korobeite in metres run. This is a hooker who does the meat and potatoes AND the gravy.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
That was a really gutsy, pleasing result, with every player plus the coaching staff deserving huge credit, but I just want to focus on three for a moment (not necessarily the best three).
Kellaway showed, as he did last year, that he is a really complete rugby player. This was a bit of a punt by Rennie, based principally on Kellaway's performances last year. There was a lot of pressure to pick Wright after a great Super season, or Vunivalu for his X factor, whereas Kellaway had an indifferent Super season, being moved from position to position on the end of an under-performing backline. But last night, everything he did was quality, a big tick for him and also for Rennie.
The next is Lolesio. I'll put my hand up, I have been far from convinced by him in the past, and have said so. Last night he was really thrown in at the deep end, but after looking (understandably) a little unsettled early, he really stepped up and produced a very assured performance. This was a huge ask under the circumstances, and he passed every test. I look forward to him being our long-term 10.
Thirdly, Porecki. After being selected basically as our least worst line-out thrower, he gave the sort of performance we expect of All Black hookers. His throwing was excellent, he was part of a front row that matched its' bigger and more experienced opponents, was second on the tackle count (and first until he was subbed off), and third behind Kerevi and Korobeite in metres run. This is a hooker who does the meat and potatoes AND the gravy.
Yes agree with your comments.
I would only add that as well as young Noah played, it is only one game and a fit Cooper is still our best playmaker.
Noah defended well and kicked his goals but does not spark the backline as Cooper can… he’s learning though from the master.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Never thought I would say that this season but to me Noah should start the next test.
I disagree. It was a gutsy performance no doubt and his goal kicking was sublime, but QC (Quade Cooper) or JOC (James O'Connor) will be able to unlock the Poms defence with the power outside 10 much better. One of them to start with Noah on the pine i reckon. He is still lacking in the playmaking stakes but a mammoth game from him last night. Kudos to him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I disagree. It was a gutsy performance no doubt and his goal kicking was sublime, but Quade Cooper or JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) will be able to unlock the Poms defence with the power outside 10 much better. One of them to start with Noah on the pine i reckon. He is still lacking in the playmaking stakes but a mammoth game from him last night. Kudos to him.

Quade, probably…

JOC (James O'Connor), I’m not so sure…

Status
Not open for further replies.