• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England Test 1 Sat. July 2 @1955

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
After the game finished last night, I was pleased we won and would have cheerfully stopped the game as soon as we got to 30. A number of players had awesome performances - Porecki, Neville, Lolo kicked magnificently and Kerevi's kicking in general play was awesome and unexpected. Korobete played two positions (wing and backrower) and stood out at both. The bash brothers did well.

But my overall impression last night was that it was a strange game. Except for the cards you could have skipped the whole first half and missed not very much. England on top but unable to score, with occasional really good patches of Australian play. Then the next 30 mins Australia exploded and put 24 points on with some really great play. At last England realised that the stodge they had delivered for 70 minutes was totally wrong and exploded. Their pack played like they were New Zealand, their backs ran with purpose and intent. They lost by two. As I said, a really strange game.

I don't think it says much about the rest of the series, which could end up a number of ways: England could clean us up by thirty points in both games, Australia could do the same or it could be really tight. From last night it is impossible to tell! All I am left with after the euphoria is a profound sense of unease.

There was lots of good progress for Australia and some regression. As Pfitzy highlighted, our pack still finds it very tough going against big hard men. We are still not there yet when it comes to dominating at the collisions. Maybe, despite all the risks, Skelton or Arnold have to be drafted in and Tupou needs to start. Until our pack starts to dominate we will still only squeak into the top five.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Under Cheika, I'd be worried about 7 changes for the second test. With Rennie in charge, I hope it's forced changes only. Unfortunate for the likes of Wilson and Tate, but the others earnt their carryover jerseys.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
His been pretty good all year, maybe he just had an off night.. His always been good both sides of the scrum as well.
Yep, since when does one bad super rugby game write off a prop with over 100 test caps and over 200 pro caps?

I'd still have Bell off the bench for impact. A front row of Slipper, either of Porecki or Fainga'a, and Tupou if available will be difficult for pretty much any team.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Yep, since when does one bad super rugby game write off a prop with over 100 test caps and over 200 pro caps?

I'd still have Bell off the bench for impact. A front row of Slipper, either of Porecki or Fainga'a, and Tupou if available will be difficult for pretty much any team.
Slipper will be on the bench at the reserve THP though.

Sio was great last night I thought. I'd be happy with either Sio or Bell starting

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My interpretation of what Eddie was saying, is that he wants them being more direct with forwards up the middle and pick and go. Maybe it isn't a true reflection but the stats showed ruck success pretty much the same between England and Australia. Similarly the kicks in hand was the same between Aus and England.

Ruck success is just a stat that reflects whether you won your ball.

Both teams were guilty at points of inaccuracy, but you'd think we would have learned by now.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I disagree. It was a gutsy performance no doubt and his goal kicking was sublime, but Quade Cooper or JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) will be able to unlock the Poms defence with the power outside 10 much better. One of them to start with Noah on the pine i reckon. He is still lacking in the playmaking stakes but a mammoth game from him last night. Kudos to him.

Well Rennie did not think JOC (James O'Connor) would do better or would have started him or given him more then then the 1 final minute. But yes Quade starting again when fit is where probably going and not going to say that is wrong choice given what he delivered last year.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not if next week England pick their young winger who came on at the death and scored a try leaving three Wallabies in his wake…

Sure, he's quick. He's also 19 and green as hell and is one person not a full back three. I'm pretty confident around pace in the WBs.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well Rennie did not think JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) would do better or would have started him or given him more then then the 1 final minute. But yes Quade starting again when fit is where probably going and not going to say that is wrong choice given what he delivered last year.
He was speaking at a corporate event 10 minutes before kick off. He kitted up for this game as a ‘break glass in case of emergency’ prospect only. He was never going to start under those circumstances, and was probably lucky to get another cap. Next game is different, he will be in the 23 and will train accordingly.

BowmanOfCrecy

Frank Row (1)
Well Rennie did not think JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) would do better or would have started him or given him more then then the 1 final minute. But yes Quade starting again when fit is where probably going and not going to say that is wrong choice given what he delivered last year.
Quade should ideally be starting with Noah there close to learn and grow. If Quade was out of the picture then I'd imagine JOC (James O'Connor) would attempt to fill that role albeit not even close to Quades level of impact he can have on other players.
Noah had a good game but nothing special and still made mistakes. Problem is he still needs to "playmake" more before he can relied on as a starter.

BowmanOfCrecy

Frank Row (1)
I guess the influence of Quade also off the field with Noah in Rugby Australia article claiming learning a lot from Quade. That is the broader value of old bull like Quade providing guidance as well to the next crop of young 10s like Noah

I find it infuriating its taken SOO long for them to work this out.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not if next week England pick their young winger who came on at the death and scored a try leaving three Wallabies in his wake…
He's quick, and balanced at speed, but the game was done, the defence was spent after a tough game mostly down to 14, and focus was probably off. Arundell will be a star, no doubt, but how much space and freedom he gets against fresh defence remains to be seen. The Wallabies need to watch him closely.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He was speaking at a corporate event 10 minutes before kick off. He kitted up for this game as a ‘break glass in case of emergency’ prospect only. He was never going to start under those circumstances, and was probably lucky to get another cap. Next game is different, he will be in the 23 and will train accordingly.
I assume they train all week with prospect they could be called on. Either way was not having a go at JOC (James O'Connor) but more stating Rennie had him behind Noah.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting that Paul Cully in the SMH called out the league tactics employees by England. Both the attack and defense coaches for England rugby are ex league players in Martin Gleeson and Anthony Seibold. Fairly recent additions to England Rugby and aligning with their recent poor results.

It must be a thing with Australian coaches thinking league coaches offer benefits to union. Yeah when Union went professional league coaches brought a lot to the defensive set up. They offer nothing now league is a simple game that has become dominated by statistics and risk averse tactics a game of attrition that does not require strategy and adaptation (on field thinking).

League coaches will only ever bring a one dimensional approach and thinking to Rugby Union.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
He's quick, and balanced at speed, but the game was done, the defence was spent after a tough game mostly down to 14, and focus was probably off. Arundell will be a star, no doubt, but how much space and freedom he gets against fresh defence remains to be seen. The Wallabies need to watch him closely.
If I remember correctly, for Arundell's first try, the defensive line was missing most of the forwards who had fallen in a heap at the previous line out. As you said, the guy will likely go on to good things, but I wouldn't be reading into two very opportunistic tries as though he's going to breeze through the line with ease at Suncorp.

Alex Ross (28)
Arundell is a freak and will be a superstar. But if he starts, I reckon one teeth rattler from Koriobete will bring him back to earth in the test arena

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
talk about sour grapes from rugby pass”s Paul smith

Ref Watch: A novice performance that favoured Australia​

Yeah Paul Smith picked out all the Wallabies infringements that Doleman missed, nothing about the Poms tackling around necks or lying all over the ruck he missed

Status
Not open for further replies.