• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England Test 1 Sat. July 2 @1955

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
E&E both spent time in the SS and also abroad to learn their craft - learning craft - is more the point I was trying to make rather than sign schoolboy superstars.

D that's the other point do players improve by playing offshore in a global game - a number of players have returned from the NH comp improved players, and more recently returning from Japan improved surprisingly.

I believe rugby has a choice - risk losing players to league, or risk losing them offshore - our professional comp is limited to 4 / 5 teams, whereas league in Aus has how many clubs now?
I understand your point. Part of your argument is that players should be picked on strong performances against adults rather than their potential based on schoolboy rugby. I would argue that Neville was originally picked for Super Rugby on potential as his performances in the Shute Shield for Manly in the early years were not that great. However this was to be expected from someone who had made a late transition to rugby from rowing. Professional rugby coaches could see that potential and took the risk. It took some time to pay off and neither the Rebels nor Reds really got the long term benefit of his development. I don't see Neville and Kellaway's journeys as being that different. I agree that Porecki could have been picked up on the basis of his Shute Shield form and I don't recall how his overseas journey played out but I assume you feel that he was overlooked.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Porecki toured South Africa with the Waratahs in 2015 as an emergency player and played 2 minutes against the Cheetahs.

He was clearly behind TPN (Tatafu Polota-Nau) and Latu at that stage. I don't think he was really overlooked by the Waratahs.

Tough being behind those two. Was Hugh Roach also in the squad at that stage? Had huge raps after his school boy days.

Gotta respect the grind he's put in and grabbed his opportunity.

Rae Rae

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tough being behind those two. Was Hugh Roach also in the squad at that stage? Had huge raps after his school boy days.

Gotta respect the grind he's put in and grabbed his opportunity.

Rae Rae

Yes.

And like many others, maybe Porecki had the opportunity to play at another Super Rugby team if he wanted but if you're going to relocate, the opportunity to head overseas and live a totally new experience for a couple of years is obviously very tempting.

BowmanOfCrecy

Frank Row (1)
I think the key now is that it shouldn't be.

The biggest improvement in Quade's game last year was that he just did his job, led the backline around and didn't try and overplay his hand. He did it really well but largely it meant that we didn't need a totally different game plan when he wasn't in the side.
Well it's different either way. Quade creates SO many opportunities compared to other 10s.....even with his super accurate wide pass alone and the vision to see who's in a good position is enough to make a teams structure and playstyle different. Noah is just a solid player atm with alot to learn.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I understand your point. Part of your argument is that players should be picked on strong performances against adults rather than their potential based on schoolboy rugby. I would argue that Neville was originally picked for Super Rugby on potential as his performances in the Shute Shield for Manly in the early years were not that great. However this was to be expected from someone who had made a late transition to rugby from rowing. Professional rugby coaches could see that potential and took the risk. It took some time to pay off and neither the Rebels nor Reds really got the long term benefit of his development. I don't see Neville and Kellaway's journeys as being that different. I agree that Porecki could have been picked up on the basis of his Shute Shield form and I don't recall how his overseas journey played out but I assume you feel that he was overlooked.
Just suggestion some of the schoolboy talents needs to spend time playing rugby with adults and developing.
Sometimes they are picked on reputation and don't succeed.
But it is hard given money in league, money offshore, and money talks.
Porecki, I don't think he'll think he'd been overlooked it was just time and development TPN and a couple of others were selected - he simply looked at ways to get better and develop.

I was never a Kellaway fan all those years ago, I now am because of hard work to get there.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Porecki toured South Africa with the Waratahs in 2015 as an emergency player and played 2 minutes against the Cheetahs.

He was clearly behind TPN (Tatafu Polota-Nau) and Latu at that stage. I don't think he was really overlooked by the Waratahs.

Agree - I was more referencing players doing hard work and developing, and pointing out that sometimes development is better offshore - playing rugby with adults than being picked out of school. I like the current coaches - Rennie > Thorne, > DC > McKellar - the system is working well.

Offshore
QC (Quade Cooper) -I think he came back a better person after his stint in Jpn, more mature, more of a role model.
Hoops - I was already a fan, but he also came back refreshed with something different.
The 3 I referenced - are other examples.

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
It's not the message that I got from Squidge. Try:
1. England is a team on the come back and are improving.
2. Wallabies are an enthusiastic team that is a gem to be a fan of.
I was more referring to the Marcus Farrell combo trying to click and with England picking a 6-2 bench so shows they want to own the ruck and give them some more time to get it to work it out but also allow Marcus to snipe around the edges

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree. Don't think it would be the best idea to have Petaia in his first game starting full back with Vunivalu debuting on a Wing. Wright tends to play a bit like a fullback as well which can help with kick returns etc..

Rae Rae
Petaia at fullback and new to it, wright on the wing with history of brain farts, and vunivalu on the wing as a player still learning the trade…what could go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.