• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v. France 10 Nov 2012 Stade de France, Paris

Who will be victorious in Paris

• The Frogs

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • The Wobs

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rugby will be the real winner

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I wonder if deans might go with:

4. Timani
5. Sharpe
6. Samo
7. Pocock
8. Palu

Then bring douglas on for samo (move timani to 6), then either bring Timani or sharpe off for Hooper, or leave them both on and take pocock off.

Would allow for a 4/3 split on the bench which would be handy considering barnes is the only back up flyhalf in the squad so he pretty much has to be on the bench as cover, even though AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Cummins deserve the spot more and would be more useful additions to the team.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I wonder if deans might go with:

4. Timani
5. Sharpe
6. Samo
7. Pocock
8. Palu

Then bring douglas on for samo (move timani to 6), then either bring Timani or sharpe off for Hooper, or leave them both on and take pocock off.

Would allow for a 4/3 split on the bench which would be handy considering barnes is the only back up flyhalf in the squad so he pretty much has to be on the bench as cover, even though AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Cummins deserve the spot more and would be more useful additions to the team.

That's a massive pack. Like I said on the Force thread: Jacques Fouroux style! I've always loved the old school French style of the massive set of pigs and flying backs. Unfortunately we don't have the second part right now.

In all seriousness though, it's hard to see us going with big Deekee at 6.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Timani, Samo, Palu!?!? That's crazy.

Deans would have to be very active with his substitutions. As long a no one was injured - I'd take samo off after 30 mins, or after 45 if it is a slow match. Once Timani moves to 6 he has 10 minutes to expend every bit of energy in his body, before Hooper comes on and we hit them with a speed game.

Matching the french up front will be key to securing a win. By playing a high impact pack and keeping the replacements rolling you can nullify the effects of guys like Picamoles, who as you said earlier, is in devastating form. He would walk into any team in the world at the moment apart from the all blacks.

This strategy also has us covered come scrum time pretty much regardless of who is on the field and the game-plan will still hold up even if there are early injuries - which cant be said for other 4/3 benches.

It's risky for sure, but if used correctly I think it could work. More importantly the French won't necessarily be expecting it and if we can get on top of them they might crumble as they start having flashbacks of 2010. Or 1940.....

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
And to explain why I think 3 backs would be a wise choice.

Phipps/Sheehan are not going to add much in attack. McCabe is not going to add much in attack. Harris will kick goals but he is not going to add much in attack, and with every game he plays at this level he will be targeted more and more. So that leaves you with Beale, Tapuai, Diggers and Shmoo to score our points.

Of the above there is a reasonable chance that either Diggers or Shmoo may get injured. Considering you 'have' to play harris for 80 to kick goals, and you 'have' to have barnes on the bench to cover flyhalf. If one of the wingers goes down you're a bit fucked. Either McCabe or Taps would have to play wing.

And even if both wingers make it through the game without a scratch, how effective are these guys going to be late in the game, both first game back from injury. Like I said earlier having AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Cummins on the bench allows for straight swaps in the backline. And both can cover a number of positions if any of the backs are having a bad game.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
That's a massive pack. Like I said on the Force thread: Jacques Fouroux style! I've always loved the old school French style of the massive set of pigs and flying backs. Unfortunately we don't have the second part right now.

In all seriousness though, it's hard to see us going with big Deekee at 6.

Haaaa, it would be epic. Can you imagine, the French fans would probably be supporting the Wallabies if we turned out a pack like that.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The team I'd like to see:

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Timani
5. Sharpe
6. Dennis
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Sheehan
10. Beale
11. Ioane
12. Tapuai
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Cummins
15. Harris

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Alexander
19. Douglas
20. Palu
21. Hooper
22. Barnes
23. McCabe

I personally think that neither 9 brings all that much, so just pick the one you like and if he goes down use Pocock at 9 (serious). At a pinch he could cover.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
A vote for the Wobs. Was nearly going to vote for the last option then realized this game is far more likely to be anything but a win for rugby.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
A vote for the Wobs. Was nearly going to vote for the last option then realized this game is far more likely to be anything but a win for rugby.

Yep, in all likelihood it's going to be pretty ugly stuff. The French don't really play with a lot of panache these days either.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
The forwards did mostly line out work and scrumming on the far side of the field so can't give you too much there.

How convenient that I was in the other side if the field.

It looked like they ran through their most common moves. Sharpe and Timani were the regular targets but all the jumpers had their turn.
I can't really make a call as to who would be starting as they continually mixed up the combinations in both the scrum and lineouts.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What's crazy is that Samo is still in the Wallabies squad, even with injuries...
Except that in recent Tests, Samo has provided a fair bit of the impact. The problem is we carry too many players who can't deliver much more than 40 minutes of good play lately - him, Palu, Robinson, TPN (although he has played longer game times lately, but gets ragged). It would be nice if we didn't have to "tactically" sub so many.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Robinson played 80 last test. Samo has been going pretty well I think, but he can't last a full game of test rugby these days.

Sent using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As a pure piece of rugby smarts, I love AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s try from the lineout early in the game. Great ball from off the top, Berrick with a great inside ball to JOC (James O'Connor) on a great line and then a beautiful pass to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) over under the sticks untouched. That was great footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.