• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm on edge here as an expat living in the UK. Will be watching the game tomorrow surrounded by Poms. I'll be wearing the old school wallabies jersey with pride though.
Is anyone else nervous about the Lions coming out and surprising us by throwing the ball around and running it? It could catch us off guard. I still have nightmares about that game at Twickenham in 2010. Not to mention the opening game of the 2001 series.

It won't be a surprise bryce, as commentators who know more than I do about the BIL team makeup and options, say that we can expect them to deliver a game format similar to the one you are suggesting! [Especially given the weather during the match (around 13c, clear sky, with light winds)].

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Wallabies have won their last 4 matches at Suncorp against the Lions Nations by the following scores - Wales 27-19, Ireland 22-15, England 51-15, Scotland 33-16.

So given the Lions are the combined side, if we combine those results the score tonight should be Wallabies 133 - Lions 65....

Or the Wallabies scoring at least twice as many points as the Lions..... Flawless logic that.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I didn't realise that Palu wasn't been in full training yesterday, WTF?

From David Lord's piece in the Roar ..... .. . .
Here we go again: injury-riddled Wycliff Palu missed yesterday’s training session “as a precaution”. When is coach Robbie Deans going to take the precaution earlier and not pick him?
But it’s easy to see why Deans keeps taking a punt on the big bloke. Palu can be devastatingly destructive on his day.
One problem: he has to be on the paddock. And there’s the perennial question.
I’d rather have Brumby Peter Kimlin at 8, knowing he’ll be there 100% of the time to give 100%. And the way Kimlin played against the Lions, as the stand-in captain and man-of-the-match, he’s the better bet over Palu anyway.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/06/22/what-gives-with-wycliff-palu/

I like Palu and believe he adds value, but if he didn't run yesterday, meh, that is a real heavy risk.

He should have been in full contact, and recovering well, from this weeks training.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Perfect weather for rugby. Not sure what the surface will be like, after the rain, but it should be pretty fast.

We will run those aging Loins off their feet.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
what time does it starrt. How many hours more or less from now?

Match starts 8:00pm Eastern Standard Time.
By the sounds of reports out of Brisbane, many of the BIL's fans will be too pissed to remember the game, regardless of the result!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

From David Lord's piece in the Roar ... ..

I like Palu and believe he adds value, but if he didn't run yesterday, meh, that is a real heavy risk.

He should have been in full contact, and recovering well, from this weeks training.

The equivalent piece in the Hurled implied that Palu's workload has been modified because of his recovery from his last injury. Nothing to worry about. :cool:

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Whilst there is a number of key players out there for the wallabies tonight (Genia, Horwill, JOC (James O'Connor), Moore, Palu, etc) I have a gut feeling it'll come down to how well Alexander performs at scrum time.

Come-on Benny!!!

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I like how the writer suggests Kimlin is never injured!

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)

I read in the herald he got opened up in training, such was the intensity. Maybe be sat our the part after being cut?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Haha! Of the mainstream beers I quite like Super Dry but each to their own. XXXX Gold is a fairly universally barely tolerated beer though!

Scoey, How popular is Gold in QLD? I drink it here as it is my drop and because it is popular and it rotates frequently. When I was down for the Reds Lions game I was drinking proper XXXX off tap and it was sensational. Not that popular up here so not frequently rotated. HSD's aren't a bad drop though. My mate drinks them and because I have a boat and he don't, he supplies the beer when we go fishing.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Scoey, How popular is Gold in QLD? I drink it here as it is my drop and because it is popular and it rotates frequently. When I was down for the Reds Lions game I was drinking proper XXXX off tap and it was sensational. Not that popular up here so not frequently rotated. HSD's aren't a bad drop though. My mate drinks them and because I have a boat and he don't, he supplies the beer when we go fishing.

Golds are pretty popular and if you go to almost any function that will be the main beer supplied. It's one of the cheaper drops too so if you're going fishing/camping its a good one to go for so again it's popular. But all that being said, most of my Gold drinking mates, given a choice will usually grab something else; HSDs TEDs Coronas etc. I'm not sure how much sense that makes! ;-)

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)

I refuse to drink any XXXX product. Having been raised in NSW, I know what good beer tastes like, and thus have more respect for my "internals"!
Our home is a designated XXXX-fee zone!!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I refuse to drink any XXXX product. Having been raised in NSW, I know what good beer tastes like, and thus have more respect for my "internals"!
Our home is a designated XXXX-fee zone!!
This post, Mr Doug, speaks volumes of the relative unity of us Wallabies supporters tonight. We have reached the point where we no longer recognise players by their province and are left to bicker about the various provincial beery offerings instead! A wonderful night indeed! ;-)
GO THE WALLABIES!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.