• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa 8th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just further on the makeup of the Wallabies' back row. I will be very surprised if Faf isn't sent out there to attack the short blind side off scrums, especially in the Wallabies' red zone. With Tui packing at 6 and being a bit slow to get going, there will likely be plenty of space on the blind for either Faf to go through himself, or for a quick pass to his winger if ours comes in to cover Faf. I hope Samu is briefed to be on the alert for those blind side moves.

Lukhan ended up packing at 8 a bit last game. I’m sure he’ll do it again in the danger zone.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think losing Folau is as great a problem as losing Pocock, but things are unravelling a bit more than I'd like to see. There was quite a bit of change (which I applaud) for this game anyway, but now with these unwanted and unplanned withdrawals on top, it must be moving the scales of a win towards the Saffas.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Wow, perfect storm brewing here. Is anyone in the Wallaby camp actually right to play?

I guess we'll find out a lot about the character of this group tonight. Not that I question it, mind you, more a test of the ability of the team and coaching staff to turn potential disaster into triumph.

Trader Vic

Frank Row (1)
I just hope DHP has a blinder at 15 and puts pressure on Cheik’s plan to use Issy there. Put him back on the wing where they can use the cross field kick effectively without having to restructure the backline every time he comes forward. Also lessens the chance of Issy thinking he can kick, just because he spent a year running around in the AFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
News.com reporting Simmons called up - reallly poorly written though and saying replaced by Rory Arnold (so I guess he's replacing Arnold ..)

Edit: and now the story is gone so who knows .....

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This link explains a bit

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/09/07/nrc-rays-vikings-match

"Simmons flew back to Brisbane on Saturday morning to link up with the Wallabies squad, despite being released from the national only days earlier.

Simmons had been dropped from the Wallabies team, with Rory Arnold starting for the first time in 2018 and Izack Rodda preferred on the bench. The Wallabies have not confirmed any late changes to the pack but have already had their share of injury headaches this week with David Pocock and Israel Folau ruled out in the past 24 hours."

B

Bobby Sands

I just hope DHP has a blinder at 15 and puts pressure on Cheik’s plan to use Issy there. Put him back on the wing where they can use the cross field kick effectively without having to restructure the backline every time he comes forward. Also lessens the chance of Issy thinking he can kick, just because he spent a year running around in the AFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, DHP is a better fullback option hands down. Play Folau at either 11 or 13.

Pocock is a much bigger loss, however, at least we don't have two 7s in the backrow.

Great opportunity for Samu to lock down a starting spot.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm a lot happier with the wallabies back line tonight. I hope it is a step forward but even if it turns out to be a disaster at least it is something different and I think we need to keep trying things until we land on a combination that can mix it with the big boys.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Yep, DHP is a better fullback option hands down. Play Folau at either 11 or 13.

Pocock is a much bigger loss, however, at least we don't have two 7s in the backrow.

Great opportunity for Samu to lock down a starting spot.

I think that is spot on. You pick your best 7 and put your second best on the bench. Hoping Samu locks a spot - he will bring a better carry game I think. I like DHP at 15 and think Izzy can have a huge impact on the wing and be curious to see him at 13.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Rodda to start.. Simmons to the bench.

Withdrawn due to family reasons. Pregnant partner, so hope all is well there.

This disruption is not good at all. I hope our resilience comes through, but utterly nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.