• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa 8th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not a pretty game. A lot of so-so performances.

All the late changes, and the injury run during the game would have been disruptive, no doubt, but I really don’t know that that explains last night. I shuddered every time the commentary team mentioned the dew.

Without meaning to single him out, as he wasn’t alone, but I don’t really get the praise for Samu. I’ll try and watch the game again but at first viewing I didn’t think he contributed much at all. Did he do lots in the tight? Or make a heap of tackles or some runs I missed? To be fair to him, in that standard of game it would be hard to look great, but apart from one or two small runs I’m struggling to remember him being involved at all.

Bernard Foley was probably the one person who most enhanced his standing by not playing most of the game. Maybe they’ll get better in time but on yesterday’s showing Beale & To'omua don’t offer a superior attack (& Beale’s defence seems to be deteriorating).

I thought Tui did some good things, but I’m still not sure he is going to thrive at 6. He is a very promising lock and I think that is his future.

It was nice to get a win.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
A nice little stat from the two games this weekend

Passes by starting flyhalf
NZ - 27
Arg - 46
Aus - 11
SA - 4

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
A nice little stat from the two games this weekend

Passes by starting flyhalf
NZ - 27
Arg - 46
Aus - 11
SA - 4

There's no doubt the Argies had a serious crack at the AB's, albeit a somewhat NZ B side. They looked promising for a while but at the end of the day they got beaten by about the same amount we did both times. But the usual pundits come out with the same old 'the Argies will beat us next week based on their performance against the AB's'. :rolleyes:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Last weeks AB 23 or this weeks AB 23? :(

Certainly not last week's.

I'd add that if guys like Sio, Alaatoa, To'omua had been through the NZ development system rather than the Australian one they'd be at the required level.

I notice that an increasing number of players are voting with their feet and trying their luck in the Mitre 10 cup, but that's a story for another thread.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Weird game to watch. Two teams stubbornly trying to play an up tempo game without the skills or tactical intelligence to do it. Strange

Indeed, there were a number times when each side had turnover ball with the chance to go wide but either kicked it or tucked it under the arm and went into contact.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There's no doubt the Argies had a serious crack at the AB's, albeit a somewhat NZ B side. They looked promising for a while but at the end of the day they got beaten by about the same amount we did both times. But the usual pundits come out with the same old 'the Argies will beat us next week based on their performance against the AB's'. :rolleyes:

There's probably not much between Australia, South Africa and Argentina. They did beat the same South African team that we played last night by a bigger margin. Unless I was a NZ supporter, I wouldn't be getting excited about any of the teams in the competition.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
He penalized us for standing up. Oh yeah that’s exactly what it shows. FFS. What would you like, the hookers miked up to tell us why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No , but a picture of the end result shows nothing, are you telling me both front rows are in correct positions, perhaps if we saw the lead up we get better picture.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In fairness the Argies were good against the AB's and unlucky with a few tries missed.

But equally the AB's showed despite good opposition they know how to win and are really still way ahead of everyone at the top.

They are unbackable favourites for RWC next year but with a knockout series once get to the finals that does give a chance for someone to knock them out but will take one heck of a performance to see them knocked out and not take home Bill (again).

tragic

John Solomon (38)
No , but a picture of the end result shows nothing, are you telling me both front rows are in correct positions, perhaps if we saw the lead up we get better picture.

Irrelevant Dan.
He didn’t penalise us for the lead up. He penalised us for standing up.
And he clearly got it wrong.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There's probably not much between Australia, South Africa and Argentina. They did beat the same South African team that we played last night by a bigger margin. Unless I was a NZ supporter, I wouldn't be getting excited about any of the teams in the competition.

I'd agree with that, the Argies will be exhausted after throwing everything at the AB's though. They get over-hyped after this fixture every year ahead of the game against us. When we play them away it will be a different story.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok where are we:

Beale is just not our long term 10. I would revert back to Foley at 10 and we continue at super rugby / WSR / club rugby generate those next generation of 10's which are sadly lacking.

To'omua could be a better 12 with Beale moved elsewhere. Almost indeed willing to look him play wing as Koriobete unless he works out to hunt for the ball in the middle is not cutting it. That is where Beale for me could be very good as wing option.

Maddocks equally made rookie error with the tryline beckoning to not step in and provide space to draw a pass to Koroibete to score. But still early days for him.

Banks equally not shown with time on pitch anything yet but too early and not enough game time to judge where at.

Hodge whilst not a world class 13 has been serviceable and definitely shown one of our most consistent players and indeed his versatility. Where is best position is not sure but doing ok at 13 and if he had the chance to focus on one position who knows where he could end up.

DHP good at fullback and almost would be tempted to move Folau to the wing given issues per above with Koriobete just not offering enough imho or showing he really will ever get the inner sanctrum of what it takes to be a world class rugby winger as opposed to good NRL winger.

Samu really has not showed long term wallaby at this point. Good player but not convinced test standard and particularly as other players like Naisarani, Valentini and Dempsey become available hard to see him in the Wallaby mix and even on the bench. Also showed how we miss Pocock when he is not playing.

I also think JP Smith and Slipper will be pushing for Wallaby squad next year which is good for competition. AAA, Kepu and Robertson should be looking over at their shoulder imho.

Locks. Simmons is starting to look like he might be shifting down the pecking order, as Coleman, Rodda, Arnold and Philips would all have above him at the moment.

As for hooker.....gees I am not totally convinced about any of them. TPN star looks like on the decline and other options just not quite cutting it for me.

Overall I am also concerned that other than Tupou coming off the bench we are not seeing any other bench players consistently making much impact.

I still expect what side looks like at next years RWC being very different.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Side (for various reasons) was missing Slipper, Kepu, Coleman, Pocock, Dempsey, McMahon, Kurindra, Kerevi, Phipps, Izzy and Foley. Probably a few.others

Now they won't all be starting but if you'd told me this time last year we'd have the Boks covered without all of those I'd have said we were going ok

Status
Not open for further replies.