• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa 8th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think he is floundering or not ready. His set piece is strong, his workrate is really good. The side of his game that needs work is his ball carrying.

I just don't think he'd be getting more ready for test rugby playing NRC right now. If he misses selection one week that's fine, he should play NRC but at the moment I think he's in our best three locks and would be at most points in the last decade or so. We have a pretty strong group right now.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know I have made a couple of posts recently RE being disappointed with our locks, but I don’t think we should get too worried about Rodda. He has been exceptional all year in super and was, IMO, very good against Ireland. He is in his second year of top level professional rugby - it is not unusual for guys early in their career to be a bit inconsistent.

All up he has been pretty damn good.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
This is the same argument for Beauden Barrett. These players are the exception. Retallick as an example never floundered at the level.
Has Rodda ever floundered at this level?
For mine, he's taken to test rugby like a duck to water. Playing NRC at this stage would be a waste.

B

Bobby Sands

Has Rodda ever floundered at this level?
For mine, he's taken to test rugby like a duck to water. Playing NRC at this stage would be a waste.

Up for debate I suppose, he doesn't look ready to me.

I think dominating each level before you progress is very important for a winning/dominant mindset.

You see elite AFL juniors go into AFL teams too early and never develop because they get so used to losing and being beaten up, it affects confidence, and confidence is a very important ingredient to development in my opinion.

Winning/dominating is largely a mindset that is cultivated through habit.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

I think dominating each level before you progress is very important for a winning/dominant mindset.

You see elite AFL juniors go into AFL teams too early and never develop because they get so used to losing and being beaten up, it affects confidence, and confidence is a very important ingredient to development in my opinion.

He was pretty dominant at Super, I don’t really see how running over club players in the NRC is going to help him prepare for rugby at test level. The other thing is that the NRC is very fast and loose for the most part, look how the Drua play, and the only real area he could step up in in test matches is improving his carries in tight—something NRC will not develop for him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

By that logic we should demote the entire team because they sure as shit haven't developed the winning mindset across the board haha.

B

Bobby Sands

By that logic we should demote the entire team because they sure as shit haven't developed the winning mindset across the board haha.

Derpus you sleep in every day.

I can tell because your attitude is pathetic.

Iron your shirt for a start.

B

Bobby Sands

He was pretty dominant at Super, I don’t really see how running over club players in the NRC is going to help him prepare for rugby at test level. The other thing is that the NRC is very fast and loose for the most part, look how the Drua play, and the only real area he could step up in in test matches is improving his carries in tight—something NRC will not develop for him.

All of this may be so, and maybe it is better for him to be in test rugby for his development (who knows the intricacies of his psch) but all I am trying to say is I don't think he is ready. Really happy to agree that you have a different perspective.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is the same argument for Beauden Barrett. These players are the exception. Retallick as an example never floundered at the level.

My line of thinking is not that he is too young its that he is not ready.

Brody never had a period of being not ready. He developed faster than most, probably because his ceiling was so much higher.

The fact that Rodda is a first-choice lock in Australia at the moment (on current output) is concerning.

I hope Rory and Coleman become that mature locking pair that lets him develop.

Simmonds is garbage and has never been up to the level.
The best locking performance last year was the second Bled with Simmons and Arnold. Claiming any Wallaby, particularly one that has played so many tests is garbage is in fact.......garbage. He may not be world class but he has consistently rated vey high in the player ratings by his peers.

B

Bobby Sands

The best locking performance last year was the second Bled with Simmons and Arnold. Claiming any Wallaby, particularly one that has played so many tests is garbage is in fact...garbage. He may not be world class but he has consistently rated vey high in the player ratings by his peers.

Simmons?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nick Bishop again:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/09/...and-arrows-of-outrageous-fortune-in-brisbane/

I've been thinking that some of the negative thinking here has been excessive - noting it's something that often includes myself. Always enjoy Nick's work - here are some interpreted keys.

Beale does run a cross field arc from first receiver (crabs) but it's not a problem in itself. It does take different combinations to work with it and the familiarity wasn't there.

Beale also hit it up straight to make good ground and he defended in the 12 slot with To'omua when the coached positions required (saving one Bok scoring opportunity).

Our line D working with Hooper - To'omua - Hodge was a big improvement.

Koroibete provides great work in D standing outside Hodge "looking for someone to hit".

AND of course attack was a mixed bag given how little time training was available to gel combinations. There were even a couple of missed opportunities from the wonderful Genia where To'omua correctly called for ball (seeing a wide opportunity) but didn't get it.

In summary there is plenty to work with here, and given the qty of missing talent it is an interesting position to be in right now.

I suspect there are other elements less impressive in the pigs, but let's see where they take it. Argy banana skin coming up, let's not slip up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Will be a beaut. I just think it might be too early for him, but its a difficult because he is already one of our best despite being very early in his development. In a stronger system, having him dominate in the NRC would be far better for him at this point with a Luke Jones type player (had we not lost him as the incumbent).

Either way, I think he is one of the few lock prospects we have that could be a truly world class lock if he can continue to develop.

Am hoping players such as Hockings & Blythe can develop (with a QLD bias of course) to be his long-term dominant lineout lock to his brute tighthead lock.

Bit of Horwill/Giffin about him.

Rodda will make it to the top, but Hockings and Blyth really have a bit to make up on Swain imo.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was interested to see on Kick and Chase last night where Drew Mitchell pointed out how well Hooper did in slowing down Boks ball at ruck time, I have to admit it wasn't something I had picked up, but he did do it superbly! I know some people claim it negative play to slow ball down, but I disagree, it's one of reasons rugby is such a good competitive game, you should never give ball to opposition easily!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There's no doubt the Argies had a serious crack at the AB's, albeit a somewhat NZ B side. They looked promising for a while but at the end of the day they got beaten by about the same amount we did both times. But the usual pundits come out with the same old 'the Argies will beat us next week based on their performance against the AB's'. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, what was that you were saying?:)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hmmm, what was that you were saying?:)
The sentiment was right but the outcome was slightly off! In the corresponding test for about the last 5 years we’ve run away with it the last 15-20. Even at that point last night I thought we would. Even 10 minutes to go I thought we’d scrape home. Something was seriously amiss last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.