• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa - Brisbane 7th Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SARugby
Two players added to Springbok squad to Australasia

August 28, 2013
Zane Kirchner and Chiliboy Ralepelle have been selected to travel with the Springboks to Australia and New Zealand for the next two Tests in The Castle Lager Rugby Championship.
The squad of 26 players who returned from Argentina on Monday was retained, with Kirchner (fullback) and Ralepelle (hooker) the only additions.
Ralepelle, the third hooker in the squad, missed the Argentinean tour because of a back injury and he will have to pass a fitness test before he can board the plane to Australia. A final call on his availability will be made by Friday.
The Springbok squad of 28 players will depart for Brisbane via Sydney on Saturday afternoon for their Tests against Australia in the Queensland capital on 7 September and New Zealand in Auckland on 14 September.
“This will be two tough weeks on the road against two of the best sides in the world and as we saw last weekend against Argentina, we still have a lot of hard work to do,” said Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer.
“The Springboks have never beaten Australia at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane and our last victory at Eden Park was in 1937.
“Australia may have lost their first two matches of The Castle Lager Rugby, but they showed a marked improvement last weekend in Wellington.
“They are always a tough opponent at home – the Springboks’ last victory over there was in 2009 and we’ve only won three out of 18 matches in this competition in Australia.
“We get together on Thursday and will have to put in a lot of hard work in the next 10 days. We let ourselves down in certain areas of the game in Mendoza and will have to fix those if we are going to be competitive against Australia.”
The 28-man Springbok squad to Australia and New Zealand:
Forwards (16):
Lourens Adriaanse, Willem Alberts, Marcell Coetzee, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Eben Etzebeth, Siya Kolisi, Juandré Kruger, Francois Louw, Tendai Mtawarira, Coenie Oosthuizen, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Gurthrö Steenkamp, Adriaan Strauss, Flip van der Merwe, Duane Vermeulen.
Backs (12): Bjorn Basson, Jean de Villiers (captain), JJ Engelbrecht, Bryan Habana, Zane Kirchner, Patrick Lambie, Willie le Roux, Ruan Pienaar, Jan Serfontein, Morné Steyn, Piet van Zyl, Jano Vermaak.

Jerusalem

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting game between the boks and pumas on the weekend. After a whitewash last week, Argentina came out a new side full of aggression. South Africa, IMHO werent at their best and if the wallabies can come out with that same aggression, im tipping them by 6.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
My 2c in response to the argument about Cooper giving way to someone else on the bench: most people seem to be saying that Cooper isn't outplaying To'omua in his 20 mins. But has To'omua really played better than Cooper in his first 2 tests? It seems to me they're both pretty much on par (bearing in mind their contrasting styles). I'm with Joe Blow on this one, not sure how we can be calling for his head without seeing what he can do with a start and a solid chunk of the game....

That aside changes I'd be keen to see (selected from the current Wallaby squad) -

Sio
Moore
Slipper
Horwill
Fardy
Mowen
Hooper
McCalman
Genia
To'omua
Cummins
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
O'Connor
Falou

Anae
Kepu
Alexander
Simmons
Gill
White
Cooper
Tevita

To be honest I don't know what the answer is to out front row problems.... I would however like to see Moore & Slipper stay

Number 8 - Give McCalman first crack if he doesn't perform I'd be tempted to give Shatz a go. He isn't a player who currently bends the line but gets through a mountain of work. Maybe he'd flourish in Gold? Only one way to find out. This allows Mowen to play 6 which is his best position.

Half Back - agree that if Genia's form continues to be below par White should be given a crack.

16 - would like to see Anae have a bit of time off the bench... preferably propping. Strong as an Ox

Tevita - hasn't had the best start, but I'd like to see him get a start during the RC. Has a truckload of talent. Always gets over the advantage line.

Mogg - I really don't think he's ready. Should definitely be in the squad/training with Wallabies but he looks completely out of his depth at the moment (at times looked scared on the weekend). Could probably better use this time to get him right physically (add a little bulk, fix shoulder niggles) & technically (tackling).

Looooong post, was pretty bored :confused:

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am not sure I get all of this talk about Mowen being much better at 6 than 8. Sure he played 6 vs the Lions and sure he has the odd issue at the back of the scrum, but by and large his weakening of his performance has been in general play. I fail to see how having a 6 or 8 on his back has anything to do with that?

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I hope Australia make a lot of mistakes. Watch how quickly yellows get dished out in this game....

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I am not sure I get all of this talk about Mowen being much better at 6 than 8. Sure he played 6 vs the Lions and sure he has the odd issue at the back of the scrum, but by and large his weakening of his performance has been in general play. I fail to see how having a 6 or 8 on his back has anything to do with that?

Scott Allen made some good points about the difference between the roles. I think Mowen works better when he is required to be less of a line breaker.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
No changes needed, leave the same starting team and let them build. We are not going to build a world class team, without letting the same players actually improve as a team.

The 1999 team got slaughtered by all and sundry in the few years prior to that world cup, but by staying together they learned how to WIN, and then they had the core of a successful team for the next 5 years or so and won everything.

The only change i'd consider is Genia being benched, he was fucking terrible in both games, worse than Mogg, who despite all the hate actually only made two errors in the 2nd match: the not out penalty, and the kick out on the full. In the swirling Wellington wind. Go re-watch the first half, he was actually excellent at the back for us, and the only thing you could even possibly say he did wrong was the weak tackle on Luatua's break. Half got him, but fell off at the end of the tackle, but he did enough to save a certain try.

What this team, this exact team, needs is to stay together and go beat the Boks in Brisbane, which they should. I want to see them play really aggressive forward oriented rugby for the first half hour or so and crush the travel weary Boks before opening it up. Confidence is the one thing this team is really lacking, they just don't seem to believe they can beat NZ, so going away for a month and playing other sides will build the confidence in their ability that we need to beat NZ.

If we cut people from the side their confidence will be shattered and they're of no use. Let them win a few games and THEN we'll see what happens.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
There are only two changes I think will make much difference. First is a must, drop Mogg - Folau to 15 - Cummins 14. There is an argument for swapping To'omua and Cooper as well. Dropping Cooper for Foley after having apparently no impact in the 35 minutes he has played is ridiculous.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Folau has to be at 15. It has always been the correct choice. Why Deans and Link subsequently have continually resisted playing him in his natural position is totally inexplicable.

It's at least one year too soon for Mogg.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
No changes needed, leave the same starting team and let them build. We are not going to build a world class team, without letting the same players actually improve as a team.

The 1999 team got slaughtered by all and sundry in the few years prior to that world cup, but by staying together they learned how to WIN, and then they had the core of a successful team for the next 5 years or so and won everything.

The only change i'd consider is Genia being benched, he was fucking terrible in both games, worse than Mogg, who despite all the hate actually only made two errors in the 2nd match: the not out penalty, and the kick out on the full. In the swirling Wellington wind. Go re-watch the first half, he was actually excellent at the back for us, and the only thing you could even possibly say he did wrong was the weak tackle on Luatua's break. Half got him, but fell off at the end of the tackle, but he did enough to save a certain try.

What this team, this exact team, needs is to stay together and go beat the Boks in Brisbane, which they should. I want to see them play really aggressive forward oriented rugby for the first half hour or so and crush the travel weary Boks before opening it up. Confidence is the one thing this team is really lacking, they just don't seem to believe they can beat NZ, so going away for a month and playing other sides will build the confidence in their ability that we need to beat NZ.

If we cut people from the side their confidence will be shattered and they're of no use. Let them win a few games and THEN we'll see what happens.

Honestly, if a player cannot take being dropped when they don't play well (and Mogg didn't play well in the first Test and was average at best in the 2nd) then they don't really deserve to be there. You cannot keep picking players who don't perform to protect their confidence in the hope that they improve in a few years time.

Folau has done more with his 7 touches of the ball in 2 games than Mogg has without a doubt and deserves to play the position he's played all year in Super Rugby. IMO, Folau is the better FB anyway. I honestly think McKenzie made it easy for the ABs by selecting him there over Izzy.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
worse than Mogg, who despite all the hate actually only made two errors in the 2nd match: the not out penalty, and the kick out on the full. In the swirling Wellington wind.

If that many opposition bombs are left to bounce then there is something desperately fucking wrong at fullback.

Take your blue and white tinted glasses (with gold rim) off just for a moment and try again.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
With Izzy now signed and settled i hope Link puts him back at 15 because he will be fired up for the Saffas

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My 2c in response to the argument about Cooper giving way to someone else on the bench: most people seem to be saying that Cooper isn't outplaying To'omua in his 20 mins. But has To'omua really played better than Cooper in his first 2 tests? It seems to me they're both pretty much on par (bearing in mind their contrasting styles). I'm with Joe Blow on this one, not sure how we can be calling for his head without seeing what he can do with a start and a solid chunk of the game.
QC (Quade Cooper) has not done enough right to be promoted off the bench.And has not done enough wrong to be dropped entirely.
I think you will find any calls for QC (Quade Cooper) to be dropped,were in direct response to calls for him to be promoted.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scott Allen made some good points about the difference between the roles. I think Mowen works better when he is required to be less of a line breaker.

Yes, but that is talking about the roles, not if there is a 6 or 8 on your back.

You could argue that Link has asked him to play a different role that he isnt as good at, but you'd be ignoring his poor form in the super 15 final.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If that many opposition bombs are left to bounce then there is something desperately fucking wrong at fullback.

Take your blue and white tinted glasses (with gold rim) off just for a moment and try again.

I was about to reply the same and would extend:

There is a big difference between not making mistakes and not doing anything. I'd prefer players to show their skills with the odd mistake than be completely frozen and not attempt anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.