• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Poms are important but firstly If Australia doesn’t have NZ support then its a dead bid, and frankly i dont know which way the kiwis would go at the moment. Their new private equity partners probably see greater value in marketing the All Blacks to the USA, the recent test match gave the UAS a little bit of a boost with exposure and money in the coffers for a USA Rugby bid as well.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Poms are important but firstly If Australia doesn’t have NZ support then its a dead bid, and frankly i dont know which way the kiwis would go at the moment. Their new private equity partners probably see greater value in marketing the All Blacks to the USA, the recent test match gave the UAS a little bit of a boost with exposure and money in the coffers for a USA Rugby bid as well.
Given the crowd it wouldn't have been much of a boost.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If Australia doesn’t have NZ support then its a dead bid, and frankly i dont know which way the kiwis would go at the moment.
My guess is NZ will back the Aus 2027 bid.

But, just on that (if I've read things correctly), there is no secret ballot. If said equity partners do move it the other way, it does promptly crystallize McLennan's recent public thoughts.

Provided RA have their own shit together (tbf, not a certainty) on new equity in two years time, then there's a good chance we "cut NZ loose" at TT pro level and control our own comp.

Not the worst outcome IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I guessing NZR will back Aussie's bid (if it the best), SANZAAR usually vote together on these thing (apart from RA trying going against NZ for 2011 ;) ). I not sure how votes are split anymore, but honestly still think Aus will get it, WR (World Rugby) may just figure 29 Women's cup will be enough for US for now.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Adam, a lot of course will depend how much money gov't puts in too of course. And how much money each union would get to make out of being exposed in US.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The US will get the 29 women’s World Cup and the 31 men’s World Cup
Suspect so. The 2027 bid is more about signalling their intentions to host rather than really wanting that particular event. Everyone I know with anything to do with the game in the States are all in agreement that 2031 is the earliest they could possibly host. There's still a lot of ground work to be done around things like development and MLR that will need to be in place before it's a realistic chance.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So far there've been nine RWCs, all but one (2003, the Poms) which've been won by SH countries. To date the comp's been hosted in the NH five times (1991, 1999, 2007, 2015 & 2019) and in the SH the other four (1987, 1995, 2003 & 2011); the 2023 event in France will make the count 6:4. I realise the SH members can be out-muscled by the old guard in the NH, especially if our Pasifika cousins are encouraged to vote against their long-term interests, but, we should use all our powers of persuasion to get some sort of NH/SH parity holding the RWC. With all due respect to our brothers across the Tasman, the 2011 event made us all realise the infrastructure, stadia, roads, etc, in New Zealand isn't up to holding major events. The BILs tour of 2017 presented enough problems for tourists, a larger future RWC just isn't possible.

What I'd like to see is an agreement for the RWC to rotate between the SH and NHs. If that means the larger SH countries, SAf, Australia and Argentina, host future SH RWCs, well, so be it. We should go all out and liaise closely with Japan and the Pasifika countries to nail down the 2007 2027 RWC.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Expectation of 50/50 with the north is ambitious if you ask me. On a basis of money generated the Southern Hemisphere is not close. On world top 10 rankings there are 4 SH teams - 5 if we include Japan as southern. The top 20 it is 9 in the south. Which makes it sound more equitable than it is.

Given that you have suggested NZ shouldn't hold it due to facilities, I would presume the same comment to Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Uruguay and probably Argentina. At which point we are suggesting that Aus, South Africa and Japan should hold half of the RWCs.

Lovely thought but I don't really think it's going to fly.

If we are starting to consider Japan and the US as part of the Southern contingent, then surely South Africa is edging toward the north contingent.

Southern Hemisphere has rugby strength but it is nothing close to equity with the north, imo.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If Argentina can host a FIFA WC with its magnificent stadia a rugby one is no problem. Who wouldn't want to spend six weeks in South America with the magnificent and vast countryside enjoying their great wines?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Expectation of 50/50 with the north is ambitious if you ask me. On a basis of money generated the Southern Hemisphere is not close. On world top 10 rankings there are 4 SH teams - 5 if we include Japan as southern. The top 20 it is 9 in the south. Which makes it sound more equitable than it is.

Given that you have suggested NZ shouldn't hold it due to facilities, I would presume the same comment to Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Uruguay and probably Argentina. At which point we are suggesting that Aus, South Africa and Japan should hold half of the RWCs.

Lovely thought but I don't really think it's going to fly.

If we are starting to consider Japan and the US as part of the Southern contingent, then surely South Africa is edging toward the north contingent.

Southern Hemisphere has rugby strength but it is nothing close to equity with the north, imo.
Argentina would certainly have the facilities.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So far there've been nine RWCs, all but one (2003, the Poms) which've been won by SH countries. To date the comp's been hosted in the NH five times (1991, 1999, 2007, 2015 & 2019) and in the SH the other four (1987, 1995, 2003 & 2011); the 2023 event in France will make the count 6:4. I realise the SH members can be out-muscled by the old guard in the NH, especially if our Pacifika cousins are encouraged to vote against their long-term interests, but, we should use all our powers of persuasion to get some sort of NH/SH parity holding the RWC. With all due respect to our brothers across the Tasman, the 2011 event made us all realise the infrastructure, stadia, roads, etc, in New Zealand isn't up to holding major events. The BILs tour of 2017 presented enough problems for tourists, a larger future RWC just isn't possible.

What I'd like to see is an agreement for the RWC to rotate between the SH and NHs. If that means the larger SH countries, SAf, Australia and Argentina, host future SH RWCs, well, so be it. We should go all out and liaise closely with Japan and the Pacifika countries to nail down the 2007 RWC.
Is that why the Lions (or England?) based themselves in Queenstown and got into so much trouble Lindo?

I don't think we should totally rule out NZ. A joint exercise with an appropriate level of NZ involvement would still be an attractive proposition I think. Perhaps just Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, but I really did enjoy my visit to Dunedin (House of Pain for Highlanders v Brumbies 2003, and the Nelson area).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On a positive, NZRU walked away with the bulk of the profits from the ‘test match’ between NZ and USA, which means less money for USA Rugby to put behind their RWC bid;

“This match – in my opinion – on the field a total disaster. Off the field, a total disaster.
“We made less than $200,000 dollars net. The All Blacks made 1.3 million and the promoters made seven figures as well.”

Last edited:
Reactions: dru