• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Looks like it'll at least include some classic style supporters jerseys:

1689657181701.png

1689657325557.png

from: https://www.rmwilliams.com.au/wallabies-collection.html?lang=en_AU

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I can't think of a line of products that more aligns with the whole 'private schoolboy' trope which rugby is associated with.

Interesting they're leaning into it so much considering part of the issue with the game at the moment is they need to broaden their supporter base.

Looking forward to seeing my red wine collecting uncle decked out at the next family BBQ.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I can't think of a line of products that more aligns with the whole 'private schoolboy' trope which rugby is associated with.

Interesting they're leaning into it so much considering part of the issue with the game at the moment is they need to broaden their supporter base.

Looking forward to seeing my red wine collecting uncle decked out at the next family BBQ.
Part of me wonders if they're concerned that they're losing their 'traditional' fanbase (i.e. private schools), so they're trying to shore it up. Maybe that's Phil's idea of grassroots - granted, of course, that this would've been in the works long before his tenure began

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Part of me wonders if they're concerned that they're losing their 'traditional' fanbase (i.e. private schools), so they're trying to shore it up. Maybe that's Phil's idea of grassroots - granted, of course, that this would've been in the works long before his tenure began

Us Phil’s aren’t too bright.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

You guys are looking at it from a Wallabies supporters (fanbase) perspective whereas the objective from RM WIlliams here is to realign with their traditional customer base after the US private equity firm that owned it prior did its best to butcher the brand. The two 'bases' are very aligned however so I can see what RMW are trying to do. It's not RA doing the marketing, it's RMW.

Tomthumb

Alan Cameron (40)

Prefer a partnership with pointsbet?

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
You guys are looking at it from a Wallabies supporters (fanbase) perspective whereas the objective from RM WIlliams here is to realign with their traditional customer base after the US private equity firm that owned it prior did its best to butcher the brand. The two 'bases' are very aligned however so I can see what RMW are trying to do. It's not Rugby Australia doing the marketing, it's RMW.

And more to the point, any sponsor that is willing to launch dedicated lines to expand and value add on the sponsorship should be applauded.

Sure it’s cliche, but you still don’t ignore your strengths when trying to expand into other areas.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You guys are looking at it from a Wallabies supporters (fanbase) perspective whereas the objective from RM WIlliams here is to realign with their traditional customer base after the US private equity firm that owned it prior did its best to butcher the brand. The two 'bases' are very aligned however so I can see what RMW are trying to do. It's not Rugby Australia doing the marketing, it's RMW.
Yeah, it's pretty clear with Phil Waugh featuring heavily in the marketing, as much or more than current players. They're speaking to glory days fans who may have lost connection with R.M. Williams (and probably the current wallabies).

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
50/50, RMW is owned by Tattarang, as is the Western Force.

Twiggy previously owned 100% and has recently given Nicola 50% of Tattarang, therefore 50 % of RMW and 50% of The Western Force

Tattarang Group Portfolio

They fall under the consumer and lifestyle portfolio of investments
I believe Nicola is a director and is the more passionate fan apparently. Doors closing but windows opening stuff for Australian Rugby.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)

Yeh don't get me wrong, I slip into my chestnut RMs and buckle up my chestnut and gold RM logo belt every day on the way to work just like all good private school alum.

But it doesn't prevent me from passing judgement on what I see as a very cliche marketing campaign.

I'm sure it will be a success though, I think RMW have done a good job of re-aligning themselves with the Australian public in the last few years, a few campaigns targeted at a younger generation etc.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Sorry chief I don't think Crocs x Wallabies collab is coming for a while

We are laughing but geez that would create some buzz about rugby on the socials. Crocs seem to be the dunlop volleys for millennials.

I see they've recently released some Taco Bell branded stuff - they're obviously keen for any partnership!