• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That's a concern.
We've now lost no's 2 & 3 in the org chart.
Most dont expect no 1 to be extended in the new year.
Few organisations lose their top 3 in a 6 month window, regardless of the calibre of the departing execs, that's a substantial amount of IP walking out the door.

Is this specific IP of great value? I know it SHOULD be of great value, but actually is it?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The whole twiggy involvement in Rugby (WA rugby moreso) become interesting.

As we have been crying out for rich high profile businessman to get involved and save rugby but this is really naïve. As it needs high profile businessman who moreso with solid business nous can come in with financial innovation.

Hence, Twiggy's loan deal for Own the Force very clever as enabling others to contribute and get involved whilst now means potential for more $10m (already 4700 have pledged $8m without twiggy deal) to add to WF coffers with half of that pledged to grassroots.

Find it hard to see how ARU going to cut the Force and turn away nearly $10m investment in rugby and WA rugby in particular. But also hard for ARU as yes I agree we need to cut 4 teams and TF smart enough to realise that needs to happen as smart businessman so hence his merger proposals. Makes a lot of sense in terms of rather than just brutal cut of team at least do a merger so can have academy as feeder for another team so as to not bury rugby in Vic or WA (or potentially ACT). No one will want to be cut or be just the 'feeder' for another states professional rugby team but does seem a better path if going to cut a team.

I am just glad of TF involvement as rugby needs financial innovation and smart business people more involved as been some dire business decisions that got us into this mess. Hopefully TF profile will see other leading business identities get involved in rugby and not with pledge of just money but business nous they provide. Would love to see TF on board of WF and eventually on ARU board as what a fabulous acquisition he would be for the game as a very smart and respected business man.

What I like is TF is not just opening the cheque book as 2003 experience where we pissed all the windfall from Lions tour and RWC away shows that as we need people who can add business nous and financial innovation and TF involvement showing he understands that which is brilliant.

Got to admit TF involvement and what seeing coming out from him been the biggest breath of fresh air seen from a leading business identity getting involved in our game.

Smart business man who is passionate about rugby (or at least Western Force - which carries positive flow on effects for rugby elsewhere). Lot to like about this.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)

I am just glad of TF involvement as rugby needs financial innovation and smart business people more involved as been some dire business decisions that got us into this mess. Hopefully TF profile will see other leading business identities get involved in rugby and not with pledge of just money but business nous they provide. Would love to see TF on board of WF and eventually on ARU board as what a fabulous acquisition he would be for the game as a very smart and respected business man.

Smart business man who is passionate about rugby (or at least Western Force - which carries positive flow on effects for rugby elsewhere). Lot to like about this.

Smart? Yes. Passionate, more so, I suspect. Respected? Beyond belief.

Just for the record, and I can't recall this being seen anywhere else, part of the reason Sandgropers have a soft spot for Twiggy is his family tree.

John Forrest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Forrest) - explorer, agriculturalist, state premier, federal politician etc etc

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

As we have been crying out for rich high profile businessman to get involved and save rugby but this is really naïve. As it needs high profile businessman who moreso with solid business nous can come in with financial innovation.

Hence, Twiggy's loan deal for Own the Force very clever as enabling others to contribute and get involved whilst now means potential for more $10m (already 4700 have pledged $8m without twiggy deal) to add to WF coffers with half of that pledged to grassroots.

Find it hard to see how ARU going to cut the Force and turn away nearly $10m investment in rugby and WA rugby in particular. But also hard for ARU as yes I agree we need to cut 4 teams and TF smart enough to realise that needs to happen as smart businessman so hence his merger proposals. Makes a lot of sense in terms of rather than just brutal cut of team at least do a merger so can have academy as feeder for another team so as to not bury rugby in Vic or WA (or potentially ACT). No one will want to be cut or be just the 'feeder' for another states professional rugby team but does seem a better path if going to cut a team.

What I like is TF is not just opening the cheque book as 2003 experience where we pissed all the windfall from Lions tour and RWC away shows that as we need people who can add business nous and financial innovation and TF involvement showing he understands that which is brilliant.

Got to admit TF involvement and what seeing coming out from him been the biggest breath of fresh air seen from a leading business identity getting involved in our game.

Is this initiative only for in state residents? As if not I'd be very interested in acquiring more of the Force than I already have.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Dear ARU

As a long suffering Australian rugby supporter I like many have dreamed of having someone of Twiggy Forests character and business nous involved in Oz rugby.

As what is clear for oz rugby with our own perilous financial state and poor business decisions made is we need more business acumen and persons of Twiggy's standing in Australia and financial support he is pledging. The latter which comes more than just money but with the business nous and financial engineering / creativity someone of his calibre can offer. This is already in evidence by his loan scheme to encourage greater public giving and financial support beyond his own base contribution.

If you the ARU are cannot realise the opportunity before you with Twiggy's involvement please do oz rugby a favour and just dissolve the ARU as we don't need another complete cockup from the ARU when at a critical crossroad and opportunity like what you did with pissing away all the RWC and Lions tour money back from 2003. We have had enough and are tired of inept business management we have seen in our game and want change and people like TF involved in and supporting our game.

So please finally seize the (unique) opportunity before you and actually embrace TF and be creative as to how you could harness and lock this support in for the betterment of rugby in this country. For example, consider offering him a ARU board position to replace any of your current Board members as if you want the ARU to be respected and have profile you don't think someone of TF character would offer that in spades?

Leave your ego's at the door and stop being a stain on Australian Rugby and embrace the opportunity before you and don't screw it up as sit back and look at where Oz rugby is and what TF could offer in supporting OZ rugby let alone creating a strong WA rugby set up with his support.

This is your opportunity to shine ARU as TF commitment is new and unfolding so no reputations tarnished by changing your position given recent developments and commitments made by TF.

andrewM

Herbert Moran (7)
As far as WA Mining magnates go, he's a cut above the rest. The Rhineharts/Hancocks and Wrights always seem to be bickering and infighting.

Regardless of his intervention in the ARU Saga, I think most people have a pretty good opinion of him

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
The ARU spends less than half the level New Zealand spends on grass roots development. From a peak of $15.75 m in 2006, over the last six years ARU spending on grass roots has dropped from $9.35 in 2011 to $5.66 m in 2015, increasing in 2016 to $9.8 m.
During the same time frame, NZRU spend on grass roots rugby has gone from $16.9 m in 2011 (in AUD adjusted dollars) to a high of $26.1 m in 2016 – a straight upward trajectory (except for 2015 where they dipped to $19.6m).

As a percent of turnover, ARU spend 7.6% of its $128.6 m in 2016 while NZRU spend 17.2% of its $151.5 m.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The ARU spends less than half the level New Zealand spends on grass roots development. From a peak of $15.75 m in 2006, over the last six years ARU spending on grass roots has dropped from $9.35 in 2011 to $5.66 m in 2015, increasing in 2016 to $9.8 m.
During the same time frame, NZRU spend on grass roots rugby has gone from $16.9 m in 2011 (in AUD adjusted dollars) to a high of $26.1 m in 2016 – a straight upward trajectory (except for 2015 where they dipped to $19.6m).

As a percent of turnover, ARU spend 7.6% of its $128.6 m in 2016 while NZRU spend 17.2% of its $151.5 m.
How are you handling distribution to the member unions in those numbers?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Payments to member unions are included in the ARU grass roots spend

I think it largely comes down to revenue over a certain level creates free cash flow that can go to the grassroots whereas in the years where that revenue is lower, the ARU struggles to break even and the grassroots is the most discretionary spending option they have.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Is our spend on pro rugby significantly higher than theirs? That's sort of the ARUs position isn't it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is our spend on pro rugby significantly higher than theirs? That's sort of the ARUs position isn't it?

I think our overheads are always going to be higher because cost of living and salaries are higher here.

I'm not entirely sure about player salaries. I think they may be a bit higher here as well on average.

I don't think our top players get paid more than NZ's now.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think it largely comes down to revenue over a certain level creates free cash flow that can go to the grassroots whereas in the years where that revenue is lower, the ARU struggles to break even and the grassroots is the most discretionary spending option they have.
You don't see the correlation between the ARU spending much less on grassroots than their competitors, whilst overspending the others on corporate costs?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You don't see the correlation between the ARU spending much less on grassroots than their competitors, whilst overspending the others on corporate costs?

How much can the corporate costs be cut before they start having a negative impact on the game? Certainly those corporate costs and headcount have been trimmed a lot in recent years (coming from a very bloated beginning). At some point of efficiency your corporate costs are largely overheads that shouldn't really vary that much from year to year.

If the revenue goes up we shouldn't see the corporate costs go up in lock step but should see grassroots spending go up substantially because there is free cash flow available.

You can't realistically make a decision that your overheads are going to be constrained to being a fixed percentage of revenue. You obviously have to live within your means but at some point shrinking that also shrinks you ability to generate the revenue.