• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Maybe the real questions should be.

How have we created a competition thats needs 15 million per team????? With the 15 million needed to be recovered in a handful of local matches and in a relatively short season?????????????????????????
It doesn’t work, does it?
As someone said elsewhere it’s as if the Tahs have had a mid season break in terms of casual engagement with the community over the last little while, wherever they are.
It feels like there has been no Friday 7.30pm game for 4 weeks while the NRL ang AFL have been supplying multiple options in real time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Pocock sabbatical was a luxury they could not afford.
Now we’ll see how they handle Folau’s simplistic after world view - sacking him will not only straighten the attack but free up some $$, which will no doubt be wasted on a rebranding or some similarly superficial black hole.
Great test for Castle.
Which players are bigger than the game?

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
It's only been six months since Mr Clyne released the 'Supporting documentation - the future of super rugby' which forecasts the cash flow position, with Fig 3 - Financial forecast for keeping MR and exiting WF 2017 Q4 should have Cash position of $9,194,000 yet already he is way out - Cash at end of year according to the Statements of Cashflows shows $17,786,000 cash position - or $12,270,000 if the $5,516,000 Grant proceeds received this year for ARDC construction is taken out.
I may be misinterpreting this, happy to be corrected (hell I'm on Gr & G, so no doubt will be) but either way, Mr Clyne did not manage to get his Dec qtr cash position forecasts right 3 months earlier - it's hard to imagine any other forecast will be accurate either.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It doesn’t work, does it?
As someone said elsewhere it’s as if the Tahs have had a mid season break in terms of casual engagement with the community over the last little while, wherever they are.
It feels like there has been no Friday 7.30pm game for 4 weeks while the NRL ang AFL have been supplying multiple options in real time.

Super rugby is like the giant whirlpool Charybdis in the Odyssey, sucking rugby into oblivion.

Oldpig

Stan Wickham (3)
The Pocock sabbatical was a luxury they could not afford.
Now we’ll see how they handle Folau’s simplistic after world view - sacking him will not only straighten the attack but free up some $$, which will no doubt be wasted on a rebranding or some similarly superficial black hole.
Great test for Castle.
Which players are bigger than the game?

Suggestion - take the $1m or so being paid to IF and re invest in 20-25 up and coming players. Gives them a base income any 18-20 yr old would be happy with. Build a structure around their development (catch & pass would be a good place to start), from this we will start to build some depth in our player stock - sadly missing hear in OZ compared to neighbours across the ditch. I know this sounds too simplistic for some but I can't help but feel we have lost what the true strength of the great game is all about.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Phil Waugh went to Shore, all you need to know.:)

Unfortunately if you took out all the slimy GPS bastards you'd be left with like 3 dudes.

A 3.8 mil deficit isn't necessarily terminal, particularly as we posted a profit only last year. Can someone tell me what turnover was in total?

You gotta love the 'poor test attendance' line as well. In Sydney at least it's no fucking wonder. Who's gunna pay $150 to sit in traffic for 1.5 hours (EITHER WAY!) to watch the Wallabies get absolutely flogged by the All Blacks at the terrible Olympic Stadium edit: Allianz or whatever the fuck it's called?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Phil Waugh appointment is pretty staggering. What experience does he bring to the table that others on the board don't already have? There are two past Wallabies (Robinson and McClean) so that's hardly a needed skill.

That board is crying out for someone from either a non-Anglo background or a non-Sydney/Brisbane background. But no, let's get Phil Waugh on there. God they are bad at managing optics.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Phil Waugh appointment is pretty staggering. What experience does he bring to the table that others on the board don't already have? There are two past Wallabies (Robinson and McClean) so that's hardly a needed skill.

That board is crying out for someone from either a non-Anglo background or a non-Sydney/Brisbane background. But no, let's get Phil Waugh on there. God they are bad at managing optics.

He does have a couple of Master's Degrees. But it would be nice to see someone on the board who is not from a privileged background. Somebody who has done the hard yards at the club level. Even if it is just for the optics, which these days are very important.

I suppose Raelene is from that sort of background?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The board don't want anyone that will challenge their thinking. I've seen Phil Waugh on Fox a few times in the last year or so and he seems very much a business as usual kind of guy. Was very supportive of getting rid of the Force and was very unsupportive of any kind of fundamental reform of super rugby (I specifically remember Mark Bosnich asking why don't they play a domestic season first and then have the international component be more like a champions league or knockout between the top teams at the end, and Waugh was very dismissive of the idea).

I really get the impression that these guys think all we have to do is go back to the structures and formats in place when the Wallabies were in their golden era in the late 90's, early 00's and all will be well. I think we'll be back to 3 teams soon.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
The board don't want anyone that will challenge their thinking. I've seen Phil Waugh on Fox a few times in the last year or so and he seems very much a business as usual kind of guy. Was very supportive of getting rid of the Force and was very unsupportive of any kind of fundamental reform of super rugby (I specifically remember Mark Bosnich asking why don't they play a domestic season first and then have the international component be more like a champions league or knockout between the top teams at the end, and Waugh was very dismissive of the idea).

I really get the impression that these guys think all we have to do is go back to the structures and formats in place when the Wallabies were in their golden era in the late 90's, early 00's and all will be well. I think we'll be back to 3 teams soon.
absolutely no doubt post 2020 = 3 teams

Reactions: dru

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
The answer is simple. Triple the ARU levy, quadruple the NSWRU levy on every player at grassroots level in the country and lets just wrap the game up forever in Australia. How Cameron Clyne and Bill Pulver can sleep at night is beyond me. They should be marched in chains down George street and face the rugby public for crimes against the game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The answer is simple. Triple the ARU levy, quadruple the NSWRU levy on every player at grassroots level in the country and lets just wrap the game up forever in Australia. How Cameron Clyne and Bill Pulver can sleep at night is beyond me. They should be marched in chains down George street and face the rugby public for crimes against the game.

The only people they'd face in George St is a bunch of workers in hi-vis allegedly building a light rail.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Suggestion - take the $1m or so being paid to IF and re invest in 20-25 up and coming players. Gives them a base income any 18-20 yr old would be happy with. Build a structure around their development (catch & pass would be a good place to start), from this we will start to build some depth in our player stock - sadly missing hear in OZ compared to neighbours across the ditch. I know this sounds too simplistic for some but I can't help but feel we have lost what the true strength of the great game is all about.

OK - thats enough of that sort of talk.
Before you know it there'll be broad based club comps in under ages, the private schools (elite and otherwise) will recede in significance and we wont need to buy dubious quality from the mungoes or afl.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

He's done at least one Sydney to Hobart