• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It’s almost certain to be Fox. I don’t think the deal will be as bad as many think as well. It’ll be a reduction but something that could be mitigated through the reduction in travel, a small player wage decrease and reduction in head office costs at both RA and Super Rugby sides.

Okay Rupert

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That's actually a falsehood Wamb. Sorry.

How false? BTW I only read the "Weekend Oz". It always amuses me how the battalions of "journalists" pretty much all march to the beat of a single drum, on issues like climate change, even the so-called "Environment Editor", Graham Lloyd. Whose drum?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The concept that I should be enthused as RA get involved, and the franchises cease discussion, is frankly amusing.

Whilst I understand the sentiment of your post and it gave me a good laugh, nothing was ever obviously going to happen without RA being involved.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
And, magically, it all suits Uncle Rupert's interests. This is not how journalism is supposed to work.

Her only beat is Rupert's drum.

It's difficult to have a sensible discussion when the world has been infected with NDS (Newscorp Derangement Syndrome) and TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) and the mantras are "Orange Man Bad" and "Rupert Man Bad".

The reality is most of the Main Steam Media, and our very own ABC, provide biased/rubbish coverage which present opinion rather than news.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And, magically, it all suits Uncle Rupert's interests. This is not how journalism is supposed to work.

Her only beat is Rupert's drum.

Yes, I can imagine Rupert sitting at home in his grand apartment overlooking Central Park in New York following every detail of the rights to broadcast rugby in Australia. I can see how a man with an estimated wealth of $7.5 billion would consider the rights to broadcast Australian rugby an absolute essential.

Not so long ago the same people on these threads who are now accusing Halloran of a Machiavellian plot to destroy Australian rugby were accusing Fairfax and Georgina Robinson of exactly the same thing. A touch of misogyny perhaps? Rugby types on these threads can't stand females pointing out their deficiencies?

Interestingly these same people are hanging off every word of Wayne Smith, who is apparently a great and insightful rugby journalist offering an unending positive spin on all things rugby in Australia. But hang on Smith works for The Australian which is part of the evil Murdoch empire.

How is it that Murdoch allows Smith to write an avalanche of positivity on the Australian rugby in the News Ltd press? Or is that really that dear old Rupert couldn't care less about RA, and it received negative stories because of its own hopeless administration and performance?

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Your inability to critically read between the lines of News’ coverage of a topic they have a vested interest in is only matched by your inability to read Barbarians request to drop the matter.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes, I can imagine Rupert sitting at home in his grand apartment overlooking Central Park in New York following every detail of the rights to broadcast rugby in Australia. I can see how a man with an estimated wealth of $7.5 billion would consider the rights to broadcast Australian rugby an absolute essential.

Not so long ago the same people on these threads who are now accusing Halloran of a Machiavellian plot to destroy Australian rugby were accusing Fairfax and Georgina Robinson of exactly the same thing. A touch of misogyny perhaps? Rugby types on these threads can't stand females pointing out their deficiencies?

Interestingly these same people are hanging off every word of Wayne Smith, who is apparently a great and insightful rugby journalist offering an unending positive spin on all things rugby in Australia. But hang on Smith works for The Australian which is part of the evil Murdoch empire.

How is it that Murdoch allows Smith to write an avalanche of positivity on the Australian rugby in the News Ltd press? Or is that really that dear old Rupert couldn't care less about RA, and it received negative stories because of its own hopeless administration and performance?

Then QH, in terms of the manifest biases you talk of here, what about the massive, repetitive, almost-daily 2020-dated hatchet job that Nine/SMH did on Greenberg's CEO position all pre the fraught and steamy post COVID NRL media rights renegotiations.

And - what a surprise - Greenberg soon thereafter ups and leaves/resigns/is sacked. Not a peep re all that was seen here re this evident Nine-led 'appalling media hatchet job that is an affront to what good journalism should be' from the I Hate Foxtel and Murdoch Brigade (IHFAM), not a murmur.

Finally the ultimate amusement re all this must surely be that the ratio, over time, of IHFAM hateful chants to that same precise group's studied objections to those re the far worse conduct, incompetence, mismanagement and wasteful extravagance of our ARU/RA over many years (and where the subject here at GAGR is rugby not media groups) must approach 3:1 at the very least.

That ratio is the tell-all.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Rupert Murdoch is not responsible for the poor state of Australian Rugby.

If your are the CEO of Rugby Australia you are quiet entitled to test the market outside of Foxtel. However if you don’t expect them to have a crack at you and you can’t handle that or are going to have a cry about it then you are not CEO material. If you consider Raylene Castle was hounded out of the job by News Limited, maybe you have to think was she the right person for the job.

Just have to look at Qantas and Alan Joyce’s behaviour in negations and trying to influence the government and run competitors (only one) out of the industry done to such an extent he is under investigation by ASIC. Media are running dead on it Qantas are a big advertiser. Gerry Harvey because he is a big advertiser also got plenty of media space in his (successful) campaign for GST on overseas internet purchases. If you are a CEO you have be able to manage the media and have a strategy.

If you are a CEO of any organisation you have to be able throw a punch and take a punch. Crying about Rupert Murdoch will achieve nothing for the organisation you are CEO of.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Might want to brush up your history on how the Murdochs conducted themselves during the Super League wars - https://www.afr.com/companies/lachlans-legacy-560m-lost-on-super-league-20050805-jkhav

Pretty obvious to see the same gameplan being rolled out for Rugby....

Hell, look at Foxsport's V'Landys do Lachy's biddings earlier this year to protect the Broncos - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mu...second-brisbane-nrl-team-20200227-p544wz.html

Perhaps Rupert isn't watching closely to the negotiation dealings regarding Australian Rugby, but I'd suggest you read up or watch either the TV Show or Movie about Rupert judging Roger Ailes as the perfect candidate to run his tv network. It might help illuminate the type of person that instilled how News Corp is to be run.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Might want to brush up your history on how the Murdochs conducted themselves during the Super League wars - https://www.afr.com/companies/lachlans-legacy-560m-lost-on-super-league-20050805-jkhav

Pretty obvious to see the same gameplan being rolled out for Rugby..

Hell, look at Foxsport's V'Landys do Lachy's biddings earlier this year to protect the Broncos - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mu...second-brisbane-nrl-team-20200227-p544wz.html

Perhaps Rupert isn't watching closely to the negotiation dealings regarding Australian Rugby, but I'd suggest you read up or watch either the TV Show or Movie about Rupert judging Roger Ailes as the perfect candidate to run his tv network. It might help illuminate the type of person that instilled how News Corp is to be run.

Ummm, can we perhaps have some sources quoted that aren’t the notoriously bitter - and notoriously biased - direct decades-long competitors to News Corp in all things? Anyone who thinks Nine/Fairfax and News Corp write fairly and objectively about each other is.....a little out of date, or experience. They detest each other and love nothing more than composing take-downs of the other’s alleged sins and delinquencies. Almost an Australian sport in its own right, the journos on other side can tell you.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
None of this seems relevant to the fact that Halloran was throwing shade and has since stopped.......

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
You seem incapable of thinking in anything other than binaries. Yep RA is in a deep hole through a long period of terrible mismanagement. We all agree and I have a -sneaking- suspicion, possibly through your endless essays, that you feel the same. But if at the same time you don’t believe that a media organisation is capable of leveraging its power and influence to gain itself a better deal, well there’s just not much more anyone can do to help you. Might be time for all of us to take Barbarians advice on board.