• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nobody was demanding she got sacked. I think each to their own really. If someone is religious we should respect that doesn’t mean we have to agree with them.
This event is a much higher profile, and has dragged out a greater bandwidth of crazies on both sides of the line to throw some bold comments.

To the point your making though, given the lesser profile of AFLW and only one player, I think the actions attracted a relative equal level of attention, she certainly didn’t escape critics.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
This event is a much higher profile, and has dragged out a greater bandwidth of crazies on both sides of the line to throw some bold comments.

To the point your making though, given the lesser profile of AFLW and only one player, I think the actions attracted a relative equal level of attention, she certainly didn’t escape critics.
Just think people take the anti religion stuff a bit far. I am an atheist but each to there own.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
being LGBTQ isn't a 'lifestyle' choice

I do agree there's a difference between tolerating and supporting, actively refusing to work doesn't sit in those categories though.
'lifestyle'? true, not the best choice of words

But "actively refusing to work doesn't sit in those categories" rubbish, it is the ultimate power of any employee. We may not agree with their "cause" but I respect their right to withdraw their labour. They ain't slaves

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
'lifestyle'? true, not the best choice of words

But "actively refusing to work doesn't sit in those categories" rubbish, it is the ultimate power of any employee. We may not agree with their "cause" but I respect their right to withdraw their labour. They ain't slaves

phrase it however you like but to 'withdraw their labour' is a different way of saying refusing to work

lets call a spade, a spade eh

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’m far from agreeing with them, but do feel sorry for them. They weren’t consulted, just told. Folau expressed his beliefs without prompting. These 7 have been put in a position of stating their own personal beliefs, hypocritical or not. It’s created 7 Folaus, from 7 privately religious individuals

Last edited:

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I’m far from agreeing with them, but do feel sorry for them. They weren’t consulted, just told. Folau expressed his beliefs without prompting. These 7 have been put in a position of stating their own personal beliefs, hypothetical or not. It’s created l7 Folaus, from 7 privately religious individuals
Totally different to Folau - he did something he had promised not to do. Plus his post exhibited a degree of hate. These players behaved with honour (in comparison). They should have been consulted. I can understand their position (while totally disavowing it) but Izzy's behaviour was reprehensible.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Totally different to Folau - he did something he had promised not to do. Plus his post exhibited a degree of hate. These players behaved with honour (in comparison). They should have been consulted. I can understand their position (while totally disavowing it) but Izzy's behaviour was reprehensible.
I agree. My point is that through not running it by a playing group with a strong religious/PI presence the club has painted these guys into a corner. Putting the 7, in the views of some, into the same basket as Folau. The obvious difference is Folau chose to publicize his views, these people have been forced to.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure how true it is, but reading on ROAR that the Wallabies have gone to Adelaide as late as Thursday, and done no promotion work with the junior clubs etc in Adelaide. Seems the Boks have done a bit, seems Eddie Jones commented on the fact same happened in Sydney and Perth, just a little thing I know but I think in a crowded sports market etc a little more effort should be done on promoting the game?
IAs I said it maybe a small thing , but am quite surprised is all.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not sure how true it is, but reading on ROAR that the Wallabies have gone to Adelaide as late as Thursday, and done no promotion work with the junior clubs etc in Adelaide. Seems the Boks have done a bit, seems Eddie Jones commented on the fact same happened in Sydney and Perth, just a little thing I know but I think in a crowded sports market etc a little more effort should be done on promoting the game?

and RA have decided to nix Camp Wallaby as of next year so it won't happen again.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, it was a strategy to prep them for the world cup environment by staying in camp on the gold coast and only flying out for games a day or two beforehand. Not sure how good prep it has been on that side of things, but it has been a big enough failure on the press and promotion side of things that as Reg says they've nixed it for next year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Mate of mine in Adelaide priced up some tickets:

"2 concourse tix $385! How's get absolutely fuct sound
Nosebleeds deep behind the goal $50 each. That's absurd"
Ticket pricing has been insane this year, I'd love to know the economics behind those decisions because it doesn't seem at all sustainable, particularly with the way inflation is impacting essentials. I guess the reality for RA is ticket pricing is just about the only lever they have to pull year on year to tweak revenue.

I wish they'd completely reshape that model though, get in a few experts and redesign the match day experience (working with the super sides as well) and focus on making it the place to be on a match day arvo/night. I don't think any of the Australian sports do a great job of it at the moment so there's a real opportunity for them there, particularly in Brisbane/Sydney, where there is a big pool of 'soft' fans who can be one back by this stuff.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
In the SMH Andrew Webster was saying the same thing about the Loigue - they need to work on the match day experience - maybe it is an Australian thing.

It's one thing that's made me not want to get tickets - the cost and the experience I get a better experience on Stan at the moment.