• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Think he’ll do fine in the Premiership. His style was very efficiency based around forward dominance. He’ll have no shortage of tight forwards to bring in who can Scrummage and Maul.

He’ll also get back Pollard & Steward into the backline that will control a lot.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
odd statement. Why should Brad cop that abuse and not Bernie?
Specifically, what does a 12 month stint of Brad Thorn bring to the wallabies in terms of short or long term results?
They offer different things, abilities etc. IMO what the Wallabies really need now is a hard man to instil some confidence in them after such a poor RWC. Brad seems to me to have the best credentials for dragging them out of whatever mire they might be in after so many downers. If anyone can rectify any cultural or psychological issues now present in a short time, it would be Thorn.

Maybe Head Coach for 12 months isn't the ideal situation but I'd certainly welcome him in an Assistant position.

Bernie Larkham is the best credentialed technical coach in the country. Was when he was last with the Brumbies, and was the only coach to have positive influence in Cheika's reign of terror. Now he's back, he is far and away the most successful Super coach in the Aussie franchises. I'm not sure I want to see him as Wallabies' head coach for the vitriol that would surely be aimed at him in places like this site where anything Brumby is almost immediately attacked by many of the Tahs and Reds fans. It certainly gets me down at times and I daresay is a reason for so few Brumby supporters now posting here.

But for sure, people like Cron or Coleman have virtually no runs on the board as head coach at Super level so why would anyone even mention them in this context?

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
They offer different things, abilities etc. IMO what the Wallabies really need now is a hard man to instil some confidence in them after such a poor RWC. Brad seems to me to have the best credentials for dragging them out of whatever mire they might be in after so many downers. If anyone can rectify any cultural or psychological issues now present in a short time, it would
ARU rejecting Jake White for Cheika in 2014 after McKenzie resigned was a real sliding-doors moment in Australia rugby, that one decision squandered an entire World Cup cycle (2016-2019) and set Australian rugby back years.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon he'll want to consolidate over at the force anyway
His living of that northern suburbs wins for while now... Ive heard his good things but not like the Tahs where firing and Force done anything.

Did he win in Japan, why are people so certain he'd be any good at the Wallabies... to be honest none of the current bunch really should be anywhere near it... maybe Dan,but his moved on..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm a modern thinker and assume nobody's gender.

Love your paranoia tho. Very Brumbies :)
I don't see how I'm paranoid :) specially about Brad Thorn taking over the Wallabies for 12 months..

That would probably be one of the weirdest things too happen. But then again after the past 12 months... I think Eddie will announce it Monday with Cron , Larkham Coleman and Chekia signed on as assistants quitting their current jobs effective immediately..

Or they will announce Ian Foster as the new head coach for next 10 years..

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Bernie Larkham is the best credentialed technical coach in the country. Was when he was last with the Brumbies, and was the only coach to have positive influence in Cheika's reign of terror. Now he's back, he is far and away the most successful Super coach in the Aussie franchises. I'm not sure I want to see him as Wallabies' head coach for the vitriol that would surely be aimed at him in places like this site where anything Brumby is almost immediately attacked by many of the Tahs and Reds fans. It certainly gets me down at times and I daresay is a reason for so few Brumby supporters now posting here.
No way anyone with any sanity is reading these forums. The last 18 pages is motherhood statements inspired by the movie "field of dreams".

If you want Bernie, push for him, and put forward the best case. I'll argue with you, and you'll just end up up blocking me again - that's the actual problem.

Brumbies supporters aren't disappearing from here. - everyone is.

It's unfortunate.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just don't see RA dumping EJ (Eddie Jones) and doing their dough. It's a bit like a game of chicken - who's going to blink first?

And if he does go, I can't see Bernie, Cron or Coleman dumping their current gigs for the Wallabies gig right now. How many times has it been said here that we rush coaches into the WB set up? With Cron and Coleman that's what we'd be doing.

All three have more to do for their current sides, and each team wouldn't be thrilled if they did up and leave, centralisation be damned.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
RA should crawl naked, balls first across a field of glass to get Rennie back and do exactly what he says in every respect.

The hamster should resign and Phil Waugh should just stick to his sausage sizzles for fund raising.

Give Rennie the keys.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Abolishing the 2nd tier doesn’t make the 3rd tier suddenly 2nd tier.

Not on the playing field at least.

How do your 5 teams get better by just playing each other? Worse yet, if you spread out those players and make it an 8 team comp - as often proposed here - would any of those teams be competitive in any of the professional comps around the world like Super Rugby?
Ideally, those 8 teams play more then the current super rugby schedule. More rugby for more players = more experience = better players.
It’s a long-term solution.
You can then add a Super Rugby Cup against NZ and maybe Japan or SA teams which = even more rugby.

I just think the Northern Hemisphere is getting better and better by playing more and more rugby.

Also, teams like the Brumbies have proven with there systems in place they can afford to lose 3-4 players and still maintain a high standard. So I would challenge your theory and state I think they would remain competitive against Super Rugby teams regardless.
Except both those countries take part in an annual, international competition.

Their domestic competition (English Premiership and Top 14) is their 3rd tier. Their 2nd tier is an international comp - European Rugby Champions. The equivalent of Super Rugby - the competition you guys don’t want to participate in anymore.

I’m being told that the Australian domestic competition would be the 2nd tier and I’m being bitter by calling it 3rd tier?

There 3rd Tier is better then our 2nd Tier.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Rugby Australia should crawl naked, balls first across a field of glass to get Rennie back and do exactly what he says in every respect.

The hamster should resign and Phil Waugh should just stick to his sausage sizzles for fund raising.

Give Rennie the keys.
Is this satire?

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am tired of Eddie Jones mouthpiece in the French Scrum coach yapping. The one person Eddie told to shut up was Fisher. How bizarre.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ideally, those 8 teams play more then the current super rugby schedule. More rugby for more players = more experience = better players.
You can then add a Super Rugby Cup against NZ and maybe Japan or SA teams which = even more rugby.

I just think the Northern Hemisphere is getting better and better by playing more and more rugby.
I think 8 team etc would be great , if someone comes up with what $50mill a year to pay for it. Otherwise it a no go.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Also, teams like the Brumbies have proven with there systems in place they can afford to lose 3-4 players and still maintain a high standard. So I would challenge your theory and state I think they would remain competitive against Super Rugby teams regardless.

There 3rd Tier is better then our 2nd Tier.
I think the quality of who you play is important as well. This is what made Super Rugby such a great preparation for the SH Test players. You can play 30 times a year in the NPC or NRC and it won’t necessarily make you a better Test player. We have seen many players in the past who were great domestic players but didn’t have the same impact in Super Rugby or great Super Rugby players who just couldn’t make the step up in the international area.

For me, you want Super Rugby to be as close to Tests as possible. People got pissed off at me because I said that Brumby fans didn’t think their team could beat NZ teams and I’m gonna hurt their feelings again because the reality is, in the last 5-6 years, the best Australian Super Rugby team is at around 33% win rate vs Aotearoa. That’s not good for Aus or NZ.

Akira Ioane might look like a beast playing against the Reds but it’s consistent performances against the world-class SA forwards and teams that we are missing. Right now at least.

None of this is saying that Australia shouldn’t be focussed on somehow getting a strong domestic competition or that we need to get players more games. But quality of competition counts.

Last edited: