• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
A mate of mine reckons the biggest problem, in terms of getting more boys to play rugby is the domination of female teachers in schools.
The demographic has only experienced a ~12% swing since the 80s. Irrespective of every other way to poke holes in that notion, it's unlikely it's made a difference.

1700883465121.png

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Obviously Twiggy can spare a few dollars and it is the off-season so these types of deals being arranged at this time of year isn’t anything out of the ordinary.

But I guess the tin foil hatters (of which im an associate member) are thinking this NRL deal coming to light in the same time frame as HM getting the flick, which Twiggy was against, seems a bit too coincidental.

Maybe a shot across the bow from the bloke everyone thinks has the cash required to save rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I suppose it is plausible a multi million dollar sponsorship deal was nutted out within a week out of spite for reasons…

If only there were websites out there with information that could tell the story:

In what would be Forrest's first steps into rugby league, The Sydney Morning Herald has revealed that the Dragons are set to sign a $1.2m-a-season major sponsorship deal to advertise Squadron Energy on the front of their jersey from the 2025 season.

The business is Forrest's renewable energy company, which he owns.

The publication has reported that the initial meeting between Forrest's representatives and representatives from the Dragons took place a couple of months ago and was brokered by 2GB radio host Chris O'Keefe.

It is understood that since then, the two have developed a strong bond with one another.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
For a start, RA has apparently committed, and maybe signed some form of agreement with NZRU, to a Super Rugby competition through to 2031. Loss of face and of reputation is initially at stake.

Worse, perhaps, if RA withdraw from that agreement, NZRU just might be able to mount a case for compensation, based on revenue foregone through the curtailment of said competition. If RA has financial troubles now, and judgement against them would likely be the last nail in the coffin of professional rugby in this country.

I am not now an avid fan of Super Rugby. I think SRAu during Covid thoroughly illustrated how a domestic competition could be run. But I think it is foolishness to suggest we can walk away from Super Rugby Pacifica anytime before 2031. I think we have to make the most of what we can out of Super Rugby until then and in the meantime enter real and constructive discussions with all stakeholders including the Super Rugby franchises to develop a new way folrward from then.
Well said.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Whoopsie…

My layman's understanding is that a verbal agreement can be just as enforceable as a written one. RA should get Tony Abrahams onto the case, he was a lawyer in France for some time.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Re super rugby - Trans Tasman rivalry is the pinnacle of rugby in Australia, obviously stemming from the Bledisloe. If our teams are beating up Kiwis the product is superb. We need to be better, it's the pathways/grassroots that need the attention.

Re Twiggy and the Dragons - $1.2m isn't even a day's interest. Twiggy/Fortescue have an image problem with the lefties. I'm aware of the green projects in the Illawarra but I'm not sure it's actually specifically about that. The Gong is 'steel city', it's a pro-bogan play, not an anti-rugby one.

Re the FFR thing - that was reported ages ago. Fuck up by RA yes, arrogance by the French, also yes.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
My layman's understanding is that a verbal agreement can be just as enforceable as a written one. RA should get Tony Abrahams onto the case, he was a lawyer in France for some time.
Being a one-off its unlikely the verbal agreement would be a bias for an argument. With no history, and a possibility of a he said, he said, the cost to argue it would be significant.

I can’t help but ask the question where did the money go from the game and where are the bill's being sent?

For a place that’s low on funds, and not in a position to take any risks and should be accounting for every dollar, you must question the attitudes not to have a pretty tight contract in place as a safeguard.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
For a place that’s low on funds, and not in a position to take any risks and should be accounting for every dollar, you must question the attitudes not to have a pretty tight contract in place as a safeguard.

Playing a warmup game in the same country as the actual World Cup probably isn’t seen as overly high risk.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I’m just stunned that the Wallabies get on a plane and play in a foreign country without a whole nailed-down ‘playing agreement’ between the Unions.
Things like insurance, accomodation, travel, match fees. They seem like things that get put into a formal agreement, don’t they?

it’s not like your club ‘tour‘ where you only need to decide who’s bringing the beer.

Last edited: