• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby's greatest day of shame....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
"Levy" imposed on junior clubs - $200 per team wasn't it?

Due mainly to the ARU's incompetence and confusion over where they were going to get their junket money from once JON walked off with it.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Levy" imposed on junior clubs - $200 per team wasn't it?

Due mainly to the ARU's incompetence and confusion over where they were going to get their junket money from once JON walked off with it.

thanks.
haven't we been told that the Wallabies are the sacred (cash) cow that funds everything?
the ides of a tax on kids to play and enjoy the game to subsidize the Awful ARU appalls me.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Im not a player.
Let me assure you the offer to take your $200 and tell you is better than the ARU's offer which was to take the $200 and tell you nothink.

let me be the judge of that, SIR.

joking aside, what an orrible concept.

isn't Pfitzy a top bloke?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
$200 levy. - My understanding: Every Junior Club across Australia was hit with a compulsory $200 levy per team this year.

Apparently it was to help stave off ARU bankruptcy, or to stock the ARU boardroom wine cellar. To their credit, NSW RU paid the levy on behalf of all junior clubs. Other State Unions passed the levy on to the junior village clubs.

A "team" of Under 6's (typically 10 five year olds) playing 1/4 field 7 aside Walla Rugby were hit with the same levy that the Under 16's (typically 25-30 players in a squad) were hit with. Didn't seem all that equitable.

A major complaint was that the levy was landed on Clubs after they had set budgets and rego fees for the year. There was no consultation, or any pre-warning. I'm pretty sure that the $200 levy may have been announced after many players had registered and paid their fees for the year.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
$200 levy. - My understanding: Every Junior Club across Australia was hit with a compulsory $200 levy per team this year.

Apparently it was to help stave off ARU bankruptcy, or to stock the ARU boardroom wine cellar. To their credit, NSW RU paid the levy on behalf of all junior clubs. Other State Unions passed the levy on to the junior village clubs.

A "team" of Under 6's (typically 10 five year olds) playing 1/4 field 7 aside Walla Rugby were hit with the same levy that the Under 16's (typically 25-30 players in a squad) were hit with. Didn't seem all that equitable.

A major complaint was that the levy was landed on Clubs after they had set budgets and rego fees for the year. There was no consultation, or any pre-warning. I'm pretty sure that the $200 levy may have been announced after many players had registered and paid their fees for the year.

thanks very much for that explanation.

armbands?
justice4kids?

seriously, what a totally fcukked policy.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep. That is why I claim it is in the Top 5 Australian Rugby Greatest Days of Shame.

Not sure about this, but I think many clubs (outside NSW) may have refused to pay it. Perhaps one of our non-NSW readers may comment or confirm/deny.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Damn your eyes Huge.
I was going to parlay the $200 into some sort of bet of something.
There'll never be an "Inside Shoulder" stand at my alma mater now.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

And when the great satan is banished from Australian rugby, the enlightened and highly competent administration which brought us the $200 levy, amongst other things, will lead rugby into a new golden age.

Because we know that all our problems are down to one rogue player - whose behaviour I don't condone and never have. But as I have this old-fashioned notion that once you have been tried, convicted and punished for something, you've paid the penalty and we move on.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well James O'Conner is not somebody I agree with signing by his character. Still he has never been involved with any legal issues in his career, let alone multiple.

Then there is Quade. I may be wrong but he has once been in trouble with the law (in 2009) and consistently improved his character every year since. If I've missed any indiscretions please let me know, I'm not presuming to be right, that's just all I can remember.

Now as for players who've had multiple concerns with alcohol and assault (drink driving, drunken assault allegations THEN breaking a booze ban as well as twice charged with assault and assaulting a team mate on your in addition to that. Nope, none of them I know of.

I do know that the 2 players the reds have cannot have their professional preparations as athletes questioned. As for the third, I know of instances of drinking whilst injured and twice having weight issues despite being in a full time professional environment.

I didn't say legal issues, I said behavioural issues. (There is a difference :))

Quade has turned things around on and off the field, which sort of indicates that redemption is possible.

510144-james-o-039-connor-buddy-franklin-digby-ioane-kurtley-beale-quade-cooper-spa.jpg

T

Train Without a Station

And Beale has repeatedly found himself in trouble despite multiple chances, which indicates it's probably not possible in him.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And Beale has repeatedly found himself in trouble despite multiple chances, which indicates it's probably not possible in him.

and if the ARU come to that conclusion, his contract expires in somewhere between 4-8 weeks (depending if it runs to the end of EOYT or calendar year). So they could simply do as I suggested 3 weeks ago - just not make him an offer.

If Roger Davis is to be believed, the Waratahs will make him an offer for 2015, so the ball would then be in KBs court - accept what would be a pay cut to stay with the Waratahs or go to France, Japan or league.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't expect the ARU to refuse to register a contract for him.

In my opinion, simply saying they will not contract him is an acceptable course of action.

cornetto

Peter Burge (5)
If Michael Cheika considers that fact that Beale had no issues when he was with him at the tahs then he's a fucking idiot. That's 6 months of a career littered with problems.

How many folk (granted many of them are idiots) have stood up and said what a great bloke KB (Kurtley Beale) is, a "sweet kid", awesome team man etc etc. If the poor behaviour is not in your face you tend to judge on what you see. If MC has only seen the good side of KB (Kurtley Beale), then that is most likely what he will judge him on.

Cheika is no idiot - I cant be more impressed with everything he has said and done so far as Wallabies coach.

T

Train Without a Station

How many folk (granted many of them are idiots) have stood up and said what a great bloke KB (Kurtley Beale) is, a "sweet kid", awesome team man etc etc. If the poor behaviour is not in your face you tend to judge on what you see. If MC has only seen the good side of KB (Kurtley Beale), then that is most likely what he will judge him on.

Cheika is no idiot - I cant be more impressed with everything he has said and done so far as Wallabies coach.

Well he's a fucking idiot if that's the case. AFL teams investigate their potential recruits. They look for information the public doesn't know about.

If Michael Cheika wilfully ignores the known indiscretions on Beale because he comes across well in person he's a moron, because how his behaviour can wane is well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.