• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby's greatest day of shame....

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I read an article in The Australian this morning by their rugby union editor, Wayne Smith.
It concluded with the words "Australian rugby, this is your greatest day of shame".
I have sat back and analysed my thoughts as to these comments.
Australian rugby has been played in Australia for over 150 years, and there would have been many incidents over that time.
But never where the management would allow a number of their executives fall on their swords, for the sake of a player. and this is now what I believe I'm seeing.
Why is this? On reflection I believe that the ARU has been manipulated from within. What makes this so unfortunate is that it's all going to come out and reflect on the code which I love.
And why is it that a player who has had so many reprimands in the past is now sanctioned by the ARU.
By saying that they are going to donate the fine of $45,000 to a woman's disadvantaged group, surely they are saying that the fined player has brought the game into disrespect for which they are trying to make amends.
I concur with Mr Smith, this is Australian Rugby's greatest day of shame.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Here it is - couldn't see that the T& C's prevent me posting it

Attachments

• Patston draws on own experience when she advises women | The Australian.pdf
    537.4 KB · Views: 625

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I read an article in The Australian this morning by their rugby union editor, Wayne Smith.
It concluded with the words "Australian rugby, this is your greatest day of shame".
I have sat back and analysed my thoughts as to these comments.
Australian rugby has been played in Australia for over 150 years, and there would have been many incidents over that time.
But never where the management would allow a number of their executives fall on their swords, for the sake of a player. and this is now what I believe I'm seeing.
Why is this? On reflection I believe that the ARU has been manipulated from within. What makes this so unfortunate is that it's all going to come out and reflect on the code which I love.
And why is it that a player who has had so many reprimands in the past is now sanctioned by the ARU.
By saying that they are going to donate the fine of $45,000 to a woman's disadvantaged group, surely they are saying that the fined player has brought the game into disrespect for which they are trying to make amends.
I concur with Mr Smith, this is Australian Rugby's greatest day of shame.
“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”
Abraham Lincoln

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
There is no respite in today's media on the ARU, and its bumbling handling of the whole sorry saga that surrounds Kurtley Beale.
But it's not solely about the player himself. Its about the culture that the ARU now finds itself involved in.
Unfortunately, all the fingers are now pointing at Bill Pulver, a good man, but a man who through lack of decisiveness when it was most needed, will now in all likely hood will lose his job.
Extracts from two of today's media article:

"Rugby is lurching towards a precipice
Rugby has imploded. That is not hyperbole but an accurate reflection of the trouble in which the sport finds itself". ..Patrick Smith, Senior Sports Commentator, The Australian
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ards-a-precipice/story-e6frg7uo-1227105272308

"But the moment has arrived for Pulver and the Australian Rugby Union to stand for something. The code is tottering. Female support is deserting rugby in droves. And not just female support. Good men, men who grew up watching John Thornett and Greg Davis and Andrew Slack and John Eales and admiring the virtues they brought to the game, are now shaking their heads in despair and sadly turning away. They don’t want Kurtley Beale representing them, representing Australia"... Wayne Smith, The Australian
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-at-the-waratahs/story-e6frg7v6-1227105275873

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There is no respite in today's media on the ARU, and its bumbling handling of the whole sorry saga that surrounds Kurtley Beale.
But it's not solely about the player himself. Its about the culture that the ARU now finds itself involved in.
Unfortunately, all the fingers are now pointing at Bill Pulver, a good man, but a man who through lack of decisiveness when it was most needed, will now in all likely hood will lose his job.
Extracts from two of today's media article:

"Rugby is lurching towards a precipice
Rugby has imploded. That is not hyperbole but an accurate reflection of the trouble in which the sport finds itself". ..Patrick Smith, Senior Sports Commentator, The Australian
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ards-a-precipice/story-e6frg7uo-1227105272308

"But the moment has arrived for Pulver and the Australian Rugby Union to stand for something. The code is tottering. Female support is deserting rugby in droves. And not just female support. Good men, men who grew up watching John Thornett and Greg Davis and Andrew Slack and John Eales and admiring the virtues they brought to the game, are now shaking their heads in despair and sadly turning away. They don’t want Kurtley Beale representing them, representing Australia". Wayne Smith, The Australian
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-at-the-waratahs/story-e6frg7v6-1227105275873

"Rugby has imploded. That is not hyperbole but an accurate reflection of the trouble in which the sport finds itself"

Sounds just like hyperbole to me. But if it is an accurate analogy for what's going on then I'd say there's a lot more to come out yet about the state of the ARU/game.

T

Train Without a Station

I can't help but think that Wayne Smith really sullies an article from Patson's view point, which I generally agree with by making unsubstantiated comments regarding Beale's alcohol consumption.

Consider they had an early flight the morning after a test match, anybody, regardless of alcohol consumption would believably be grumpy.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
When is Beale going to answer for his actions on the plane?

It appears it could've been handled last Friday in addition to the text matter, but Beale's legal team asked for more time so it has been delayed.

IMO this isn't unreasonable under the circumstances. Parties should be afforded additional time to allow natural justice in such an inquiry.

I didn't think the ARU had put out a statement on timing, but we probably won't hear about it publicly until the day of, which I think was the case with last Friday's proceeding.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't help but think that Wayne Smith really sullies an article from Patson's view point, which I generally agree with by making unsubstantiated comments regarding Beale's alcohol consumption.

Consider they had an early flight the morning after a test match, anybody, regardless of alcohol consumption would believably be grumpy.

In my view he's starting to editorialise in much the same way that some of the journalists who have copped the most criticism over the issue are. He's just taking the opposing viewpoint.

He's taking the facts as he chooses to understand them and then making some leaps from there to drive home the point he wants to make.

His comment today that if Pulver sacked Beale he would have lost his job flies in the face of the ARU making representations at Beale's code of conduct hearing that they wanted his contract terminated.

The veiled insinuation that part of Cheika reaching an agreement to coach the Wallabies probably involved requests for Beale to be saved is pure speculation.

Drawing an inference from Beale losing his mobile phones as having something to do with his character is just as bad as the Fairfax/Daily Telegraph insinuations that Patston's claim against the Maroochydore or Sunshine Coast Council about a spider bite provides an insight into her character. It's completely irrelevant.

The media battle has really swung towards being between Rebecca Wilson and Wayne Smith who incidentally both work for News Corp papers. It's interesting that Fairfax who initially went at the issue with all guns blazing have really quietened down in the last few days.

It seems to me that anyone deciding they know exactly what happened and where the issues now lie are setting themselves up to get some crucial points wrong.

T

Train Without a Station

Don't worry. Over at Fox Sports they've picked up the campaign hard in her absence based on an article I read yesterday.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)

I personally don't like the way in which her recent articles appeared to conflate issues which appeared to me to be different being (1) Beale's conduct and the disciplinary process for it (2) management issues within both the Wallabies and the ARU (including whether the ARU had satisfied itself as to the qualifications of staff).

Apart from that, I think she's a very good journalist and is bright and engaging. Even though I disagree with what she has written recently, I sincerely hope that she has not been the subject of personal attacks for it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The media battle has really swung towards being between Rebecca Wilson and Wayne Smith who incidentally both work for News Corp papers. It's interesting that Fairfax who initially went at the issue with all guns blazing have really quietened down in the last few days.

It seems to me that anyone deciding they know exactly what happened and where the issues now lie are setting themselves up to get some crucial points wrong.
I agree with this.
Further,anyone who tries to frame the issue that if you can show one side has done something wrong,it means the other side has acted perfectly in all respects,is deadset wrong.
Life is not like that.Even the best operators make decisions which in hindsight they regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.