• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby's greatest day of shame....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
My take is that the Tele is in the Beale camp and Aus in the ARU. The SMH seemed to have the running when it was a general squad issue and they had the players.

Now the players are in the UK (and probably a bit cautious about the press) and they are stuffed. News must just be comfortable running both sides of the argument and capturing rugby readers.

Either that or they are intentionally driving the value of the game down; Lachlan must already be bored in his new day job working for Dad.

Maybe we will end up with Gallup after all?

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
One thing I hope we can all agree on: none of this is good for the game.

What, however, is the end point? Will the controversy simply naturally die over time? Or will it be an ongoing story while Beale remains employed by the ARU?

If the latter, there only seems to be one way that the matter can be brought to a conclusion.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Lots of speculation here, so mods please disappear if required....

What Pulver hopes happens
ARU doesn't offer Beale a new contract for next year, or one that's so low low he accepts an offer from overseas. They settle with Patston. The EOYT results are good and the build up for the World Cup next year deflects all attention away.

What he doesn't want to happen
Belae gets called up after Izzy gets injured against the Barbarians. Beale plays pretty well but despite this the Wallabies lose all games on the EoYT. Based on this, Cheika convinces the ARU to offer a decent contract and everytime Beale plays anywhere in Australia except for Sydney he gets booed by the crowd. Calls for boycotts start happening. Attendance for TRC drops significantly. The identity of the 2nd messenger comes out just before the WC, and it's a very high profile member of the team which somehow also drags Cheika into the fold. Because of all the distractions, the Wallabies have a shock loss to Fiji, lose to Wales and England and don't make it out of the group.

Soon after, the ARU requires a new Board, CEO, coach, major sponsor and not long after are insolvent.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Lots of speculation here, so mods please disappear if required..

ARU doesn't offer Beale a new contract for next year, or one that's so low low he accepts an offer from overseas. They settle with Patston. The EOYT results are good and the build up for the World Cup next year deflects all attention away.

Belae gets called up after Izzy gets injured against the Barbarians. Beale plays pretty well but despite this the Wallabies lose all games on the EoYT. Based on this, Cheika convinces the ARU to offer a decent contract and everytime Beale plays anywhere in Australia except for Sydney he gets booed by the crowd. Calls for boycotts start happening. Attendance for TRC drops significantly. The identity of the 2nd messenger comes out just before the WC, and it's a very high profile member of the team which somehow also drags Cheika into the fold. Because of all the distractions, the Wallabies have a shock loss to Fiji, lose to Wales and England and don't make it out of the group.

Soon after, the ARU requires a new Board, CEO, coach, major sponsor and not long after are insolvent.

Chuck, is that you ?

cornetto

Peter Burge (5)
Hopefully #1 scenario. I suspect somewhere in-between, Australian rugby continues to flounder without completely imploding leaving us all just as disillusioned one year out from 2019 rwc.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One thing I hope we can all agree on: none of this is good for the game.

What, however, is the end point? Will the controversy simply naturally die over time? Or will it be an ongoing story while Beale remains employed by the ARU?

If the latter, there only seems to be one way that the matter can be brought to a conclusion.

I am inclined to believe it is the latter.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lots of speculation here, so mods please disappear if required..

I find the "doesn't want to happen" scenario quite plausible, especially the bit about the author of the second text being exposed just before the RWC. Imagine if the player concerned has a drop off in form but continues to be selected in favour of someone in better form, quite likely the ship will begin to leak again.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The RWC comes around every 4 years. So do the Olympics. Big deal. The sun comes up in the East every day. The Olympics were here in Sydney 14 years ago. Most of us have finally got over it. There have been 3 Olympic Games held since Sydney 2000.

If we perform poorly at a RWC, we'll get over it. I think that people may be overly fixated on the RWC.

Every year there are a bunch of 5 year olds introduced into Rugby. Make it easier for them to play the game and the game will look after itself.

Hitting them with a $200 levy to subsidise the top end of the game is the greatest day of shame for rugby leadership in this country.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well the Oz is reporting today that Genia is willing to testify about how he, Lilo and Alexander had to physically drag Beale away from Patston on the plane.............

As much of the press has been on this issue, the article reads quite dramatically until you get to the quote from Genia simply stating that if he's asked to provide evidence, he'll do so..............

What I found to be more insightful though was the kind of "diplomatic" language that framed Genia's response, which has been lacking with some of our players lately.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Or will it be an ongoing story while Beale remains employed by the ARU?

Hate to say it, but this is the way I see it happening.

So Beale hasn't been included (yet) for the Spring tour. But imagine next year at WC time when the squad is announced and he is there in place of (insert players name here). It will all kick up again, even if it has died down a bit.

The actions of the ARU in recent weeks (and really prior to that) have been so detrimental to rugby in this country. What organisation would stand by and let supporters walk away from the game the way they have?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Well the Oz is reporting today that Genia is willing to testify about how he, Lilo and Alexander had to physically drag Beale away from Patston on the plane.....

There's also a fairly hilarious interview with NSWRU chairman Roger Davis who starts by denying that there has been a concerted effort to prevent any action on Beale (in response to Wayne Smith's column from yesterday), he then goes on to list all the concerted ways the NSWRU would act to prevent any action on Beale (eg going to court over restraint of trade if the ARU didn't register Beale next year, blocking any attempt to tear up this years contract as it's with both the ARU and the Warratahs)

T

Train Without a Station

Hate to say it, but this is the way I see it happening.

So Beale hasn't been included (yet) for the Spring tour. But imagine next year at WC time when the squad is announced and he is there in place of (insert players name here). It will all kick up again, even if it has died down a bit.

The actions of the ARU in recent weeks (and really prior to that) have been so detrimental to rugby in this country. What organisation would stand by and let supporters walk away from the game the way they have?

I don't completely agree.

The tribunal was independent. It was as per the agreement with RUPA I am lead to believe.

I am unaware of any appeal process the ARU can follow.

Beale's contract not being terminated may not be the actions chosen by the ARU.

If they offer him a top up contract for 2015, that's a different story though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are some who are claiming that the ARU treatment of KB (Kurtley Beale) was "better" than the summary justice handed out to self-confessed drug cheat Paul Gallen by the boss of the NRL.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are some who are claiming that the ARU treatment of KB (Kurtley Beale) was "better" than the summary justice handed out to self-confessed drug cheat Paul Gallen by the boss of the NRL.

Interestingly, the NRL decision in relation to Gallen is now under fire and the judiciary chairman Paul Conlon has resigned stating “I have never witnessed a penalty more disproportionate to the offending conduct than that dealt out to Paul Gallen.
“My role as a judge involves ensuring that punishment fits the crime.”

T

Train Without a Station

Imagine if they had an incompetent CEO like Bill Pulver then hey? Could be worse!

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
http://www.rugby.com.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3cJMoqgJdXg=&tabid=1968

Does not seem to be any avenue of appeal from a Tribunal finding

A Tribunal should proceed with expedition. Presumably all the evidence is in place, in which case it should have been held. Or we will have to wait until the witnesses return from the Spring Tour. Or written evidence is to be gathered from the players, which from Genia's comments, has not been done. Or the ARU has some issues around getting the Tribunal panel together again.

One or all of the above. Or they are actually trying to clarify the consequences and import of the findings in regard to the second text message. I am trying not to stay glued to my computer waiting for a response. Remember to breathe out ......

Status
Not open for further replies.