• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys and National Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Players returning from last year

Queensland.
Curtis Browning - Aus Schoolboys
Chris F'Sautia - Aus Schoolboys
Grant Davies - Aus Schoolboys 'A'
Maile Ngauamo - Aus Schoolboys
Joseph Swann - Aus Schoolboys 'A'

New South Wales.
Michael Wells - Aus Schoolboys.
Rhys Dombkins - Aus Schoolboys 'A'
Waldo Wessels - Aus Schoolboys 'A'

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
News straight from QLD training today!

Chris F'Sautia has been ruled out of this year's tournament and been replaced with the GPS1 13 (who's name escapes me).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Western Australia:
Tuhoe Mahaki (Guildford Grammar School), Dylan Ainsworth (North Lake Senior School), Adam Candy (Lake Joondalup Baptist College), Oliver Tinley (Christian Brothers College Fremantle), Alexander Winter (Duncraig Senior High School), Jason Woolfit (Eastern Hills Senior High School), Jordan Hanson (Kolbe Catholic College), Dean Van Schalkwyk (Christian Brothers High School), Robert Ingram (Hale School), Waldo Fourie (Mindarie Senior College), Justin Fourie (Wesley College), Talvor Harris (Thornlie Senior High School), Jean Carl Smith (Lake Joondalup Baptist), Zian Cooke (Mindarie Senior College), Kylan Yoxal (Hale School), John Monk (Cyril Jackson Community College), Alec Wilson (Trinity College), Zeikal McFarland (Aranmore Catholic College), Nicholas Pearson (Guildford Grammar School), Shawn Obree (Belridge Senior High School), Thomas Enright (Hale School), Matthew Vear (Christ Church Grammar School), Moses Duffy (Applecross Senior High School).

From my understanding, that is the WA squad, and it doesn't contain Isiah Mosese. Any thoughts?

A good chunk of players from state schools. Interesting. Actually if I cast my mind back to my schoolboy playing days, there was a good representation of state school players too. Good to see the club system production line still working (few state schools have rugby teams).

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Soape Palau (ACGS) - GPS 1 outside centre.

What a huge loss for Queensland and the Australian Schoolboy rugby team in general, he was an experienced and almightily talented kid. Would have loved to seen him crush Kurtley Beale's record caps, and would have loved to have seen him up against the northern hemisphere teams. That is disappointing.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Chris F'Sautia has been ruled out of this year's tournament and been replaced with the GPS1 13 (who's name escapes me).

If this is correct it is a big loss for Qld. i hope the selectors do the right thing and select him in OZ Schools or OZ A for the game against England with a view to getting him intio the OZ Schools game against NZ. As there will be a further selection trial in September to select the two OZ teams to face NZ he should be involved there irrespective of whether he is selected to play against England.

W

waves

Big boost for NSW squads going up, How long has it been since NSW has won the Opens ?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
2001 QLD I NSW I Darwin
2002 NSW I NSW II Sydney
2003 QLD I NSW I Brisbane
2004 NSW I QLD I Sydney
2005 NSW I QLD I Canberra
2006 QLD II NSW II Sydney
2007 QLD I NSW II Canberra
2008 QLD I NSW I Canberra
2009 QLD I Comb. States Sydney
2010 QLD II NSW II Brisbane

That's the last 10 years. Queensland rarely have star players in the 16's, once a talent is found that age they are usually playing opens. I don't think Curtis Browning or Chris Sautia ever played Queensland U16. Correct me if I'm wrong.

J

jddd

James Thompson (Mountain Creek)

Francios Postal (Nudgee)

Joe Clay (ACGS)

Scott Mains (Villanova)

Angus Ryan (Downlands)

Tautala Tasi (IGS)

Jackson Cail (BGS)

Levi Aumua (BGS)

Simon Gregg (SLC)

Darcy Eason (ACGS)

Monty Ioane (ACGS)

Jack Tuttle (Nudgee)

Samsen O’Neil (The Cathedral School)

Gareth Kalell (BBC)

Luke Everson (BSHS)

Eddie Vakauta (IGS)

Kahele Brown (IGS)

They are boys who were selected to be shaddow players. Kahele Bowen hasnt trialed if i am correct? he is obviously a skilled player and would need to be considered for aus but why in the shaddows? surely they would just run him the the combined states? if you have been selected in the shaddows can you still be selected for combined states, would hate to see that talent go to waste espicially with the awful news regarding F'sauitia. Also wonderful effort by jackson cail to have come so far in the selection process at only his first year playing flanker.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. James Thompson - Mountain Creek State High School QLD
2. Francois Postal - St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD
3. McKenzie Kulen - St Ignatius’ College NSW
4. Scott Mains - Villanova College QLD
5. Nick Coaldrake - Epping Boys High School NSW
6. Tautala Tasi - Ipswich Grammar School QLD
7. Mark Baldwin - Newington College NSW
8. Will Miller - The Scots College NSW
9. Tom Koertz - St Stanislaus’ College NSW
10. Jake McIntyre - Alstonville High School NSW
11. Monty Ioane - Anglican Church Grammar School QLD
12. Paul Asquith - Kiama High School NSW
13. Matthew Gordon - Ipswich Grammar School QLD
14. Jaidyn Yeatman - The Cathedral School QLD
15. Chris Smith - The Hills Sports High School NSW
16. Tom Robertson - St Joseph’s College NSW
17. Campbell Pavey - Toowomba Grammar School QLD
18. Josh McHugh - The Southport School QLD
19. Senio Toleafoa - St Stanislaus’ College NSW
20. Jock Armstrong - The Armidale School NSW
21. Simon Gregg - St Laurence’s College QLD
22. Finlay McDonald - Newington College NSW
23. Tom Banks - Brisbane Boys’ College QLD

Bolded are the main contenders in this team for Oz Schools IMO.

J

jddd

Very surprised not to see kahele Bowen in the national champs....ordinary, unless he has been called up to the squads in light of f'sautia

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I've been watching Bowen for a while JDD and TBH, I think he lacks a little too much to make Oz schools. Aspects of his game remind me of Kurtley Beale and I can understand how your confused that he didn't make it but he isn't quite at the same level as Kent, Greene, Hunt and the like. His attributes include incredible speed and agility, making him incredibly elusive in broken play, but I think he had his size against him, in contact he goes backwards because of his build and I also think his kicking game lacks the spark of other players. To compare him to the QLD I 15, Jono Kent, Kent is a much more solid player and while Bowen may find the line more often Kent offers more to the setup of the team and has had a stellar season.

And yes, it is rare, but non unlikely. There are some good names in that team, Baldwin, Tasi, Mains and Gregg the main threats for mine. The CS team is unlikely to win very many matches but like we saw with last year the players have the exact same opportunity to make Oz schools as any QLD I or NSW I player. Sam Reiser is an example of this.

J

jddd

Last year Sam reiser ( think that's the spelling) was selected in aus schools one at lock. He attended Gregory terrace and was selected in the combined states. He overcame big names such as carpenter ( bgs) and bridges (gt) to the spot suggests alot lies on your performance at the comp rather then reputation

J

jddd

I agree with that light just think it's little unfair to get no game time given the season he's had he didn't get much opportunity to make a statement to rep selectors...which is very surprising so I assume he has been given a call up to a old squad

J

jddd

I agree with that light just think it's little unfair to get no game time given the season he's had he didn't get much opportunity to make a statement to rep selectors...which is very surprising so I assume he has been given a call up to a old squad
Qld*

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've been watching Bowen for a while JDD and TBH, I think he lacks a little too much to make Oz schools. Aspects of his game remind me of Kurtley Beale and I can understand how your confused that he didn't make it but he isn't quite at the same level as Kent, Greene, Hunt and the like. His attributes include incredible speed and agility, making him incredibly elusive in broken play, but I think he had his size against him, in contact he goes backwards because of his build and I also think his kicking game lacks the spark of other players. To compare him to the QLD I 15, Jono Kent, Kent is a much more solid player and while Bowen may find the line more often Kent offers more to the setup of the team and has had a stellar season.

And yes, it is rare, but non unlikely. There are some good names in that team, Baldwin, Tasi, Mains and Gregg the main threats for mine. The CS team is unlikely to win very many matches but like we saw with last year the players have the exact same opportunity to make Oz schools as any QLD I or NSW I player. Sam Reiser is an example of this.

In 'light' of what you said in regards to Bowen not offering as much compared to the other QLD fullbacks,do you think any of them could be bolters for Oz schoolboys?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sam Greene- Lacks size and therefore his defence is questionable, decent speed but his real asset is his goal kicking and kicking in general play. Easily the most accurate kicker in GPS, alot to offer in the kicking department. Has been overlooked for GPS 1 and QLD 1 so he has the cards stacked against him. I wouldn't be betting on him being Oz School's 15.

Jono Kent- Haven't seen much of him, came out of the woodwork this year and has been a star of the AIC competition, expected him to not make the QLD cut but had a few superb trial games and was considered better than Hunt. Would be my only consideration for Oz Schools at this point as he seems to step up every representation level and play out of his skin.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Combined States - there were two lads from the indigenous team who played in the Div II Championships last year in the Combined States team but it's disappointing that none made it this year.

baldingwing forward will be happy that 3. Kulen made the team after he missed out on getting picked in any of the Sydney GPS teams, except as a reserve. At least he will get a shot as a starter. I note also that I spotted him throwing into the lineout for his school; so that may be well regarded.

7. Baldwin will be one of the better players in the team. He was named in the GPS Is team for both of their trials but wasn't fit to play in them. He could be a smokey provided he passes the medical.

5. Coaldrake is an interesting player. Has only been playing the game a couple of years being ex-Aussie Rules. He's a bit of a stringbean so let's see how he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.