• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys and National Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Oz A Schools was thumped by the England dirt trackers by 27 points recently and so was Oz Schools by their test team (also by 27 points).

Oz A Schools was thumped by the NZ dirt trackers earlier this week by 42 points and there is no reason to suppose that Oz Schools will not be thumped by the NZ test team by a similar margin. Naturally I hope this theory is completely bunk and if we lose it will be much closer than that. A win would be a magnificent turnaround for the boys in a year that appears to be, at the time of writing this, not a great vintage of Oz Schools rugby players.

Let's hope that opinion is also bunk.

[When I say "dirt trackers", there are only 24 in the touring NZ party (there were 26 in England's squad); so it's not as though either squad comprised two separate teams. Usually visiting schools teams make sure that all their boys have at least one starting game; so unless some players are injured 6 starting Kiwi players from the other night will also start in the test match.]

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
An outstanding effort by Aus. 26-19
Set pieces very good , particularly the scrum.
Terrific defence , the only NZ try coming from an intercept.
Man of the match IMO Curtis Browning.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)

Yes we won, great team effort, every boy did their job well. Excellent game from Wessells who passed well and applied constant pressure to their no9 whose service was slow. Wells tackled like a demon while Browning was a rock. Could have been more if Debreczini has landed a few more goals.

Well done to a gallant aussie team who were not going to be intimidated and absorbed a lot of pressure.

Bill McLean (32)
I wish I was there now!

An outstanding effort by Aus. 26-19
Set pieces very good , particularly the scrum.
Terrific defence , the only NZ try coming from an intercept.
Man of the match IMO Curtis Browning.

I cant believe Australia won! I was at the 'Aus A v NZ' game and thought it was going to be another thumping; and I wasn't going to subject myself to another bloody instance of NZ supporters sticking it to us!

As Lee stated just above, I was firmly of the belief that we were going to see another repeat of the England games a few weeks ago. Well like Lee I am ecstatic that I have been proved wrong! Nevertheless, what I find even more surprising is the turn around!

However I still have one question; "why is there such a difference between our FIRST and SECOND teams at this level? Was it the combinations they used today? Or was it the inclusion of the different players? Ultimately this result speaks volumes about our lack of depth, which obviously our National team is not immune to either!

Woooooohoooooo ... lmao ... great victory nonetheless!!

Regards,
Newbie.

PS: In reference to the NZ supporters, I bet it was 'SILENCE OF THE LAMBS' today ... ROTFLMFAO!!!

Banger

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wonderful work guys. Congratulations to all involved.
I don't think there is necessarily a masive difference between the two teams. NZ may have just got a run on on Tuesday but today they may have been stumped. Who knows.
Great victory.

R

rugby_09

True I believe new zealand ran away with great momentum on tuesday. The score was only 13-8 with two minutes to go in the first half. New zealand got two last tries in the last two minutes of the first half and ran away with it. Imagin if the score was only 13-8 at half time could of been a different ball game.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I cant believe Australia won! I was at the 'Aus A v NZ' game and thought it was going to be another thumping; and I wasn't going to subject myself to another bloody instance of NZ supporters sticking it to us!

As Lee stated just above, I was firmly of the belief that we were going to see another repeat of the England games a few weeks ago. Well like Lee I am ecstatic that I have been proved wrong! Nevertheless, what I find even more surprising is the turn around!

However I still have one question; "why is there such a difference between our FIRST and SECOND teams at this level? Was it the combinations they used today? Or was it the inclusion of the different players? Ultimately this result speaks volumes about our lack of depth, which obviously our National team is not immune to either!

Woooooohoooooo ... lmao ... great victory nonetheless!!

Regards,
Newbie.

PS: In reference to the NZ supporters, I bet it was 'SILENCE OF THE LAMBS' today ... ROTFLMFAO!!!

As to the depth situation sitting on the bench unavailable today because of injury were Tom Cusak, Brogan Roods, Rhys Dombkins and Ben lawley. Also unavailable for this game was Caleb Timu and Chris f'Sautia. Thats six definite starters. Also, Harry Orr hurt himself at the camp and had to withdraw from the game.

The effort today was courageous and dogged. They played like a team and supported each other. The forwards were continually putting pressure on the nZ forwards and the backs gave the NZ backs no space. The #10 who had such a good game on Tuesday was replaced early in the second half today. The standout players for me were Wesels (definite man of the match), Browning ( great leadership and was as solid as a rock all over the palce), Stewart (strong inside centre who scored a good try) and Wells (who patrolled the fringes well and smashed anything that came his way. the final result of 3 tries to 1 (an intercept) was a true indication of the effort put in by the OZ players.

Rugby 9 the score today was 13-8 at half time.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Any win over the cuzzies is a good result and heartfelt congratulations to all involved. However, the standard of play was ordinary with a lot of unforced errors from both sides. Three of the four tries came from mistakes or poor play with Brownings' score the only one that was built through phase play leading to lack of defenders around the ruck.

The lineout started poorly but improved when we started throwing to the back and the scrums were messy on both sides for most of the game with both props being turned in on their hookers numerous times. NZ looked more threatening when they had the ball but played too direct and the AUS defence was stoic in forcing errors from them. I can't remember there being an outright steal at the breakdown which confirms my view that both teams 7's were off their games. Had NZ played with width perhaps things may have turned out differently. Maybe we lulled them into a false sense of superiority with the A side game. Reality is that if Debriczini was kicking well AUS wins by close to twenty points.

Players who stood out to me were Browning (evey coach loves having a toiler like him in their side), No5 (Wells? hit hard and often), Miller (had 6 on but is a 7, tried to hit it up a couple of times and got owned, dropped some ball but was enthusiastic and in everything), Wessells (nuisance all day and created the final try at the back of the NZ scrum), No11 (? looked good on the end of Debriczinis' long pass, wish there'd been more).

NZ's No14 looked dangerous at all times and the No 10 kept them in it but as a whole they were very dissapointing. Maybe the 4 day turnaround was too much but who cares anyway. I left the ground feeling good with this result but the wounds are still fresh from how far behind England we were.

As a side note, I noticed that all 6 boys in the front row for AUS are of PI heritage which in itself is not a bad thing but are caucasion boys of this body type not up to it or are they playing other sports (where does the next Stan Pilecki come from?)

I

inudys

If they toured would they be able get a aus passport

[
As a side note, I noticed that all 6 boys in the front row for AUS are of PI heritage which in itself is not a bad thing but are caucasion boys of this body type not up to it or are they playing other sports (where does the next Stan Pilecki come from?)[/QUOTE]

diwi10

Stan Wickham (3)
Will Miller received the Australian player of the match and Ardie Savea took out the NZ player of the match

K

k14

As a side note, I noticed that all 6 boys in the front row for AUS are of PI heritage which in itself is not a bad thing but are caucasion boys of this body type not up to it or are they playing other sports (where does the next Stan Pilecki come from?)

Against England there were 2 caucasian boys, Harry Scoble (WA) and Ben Lawley (NSW1). Scoble got dropped 2 Aus A, whilst Lawley was ruled out due to an injury. I felt both went well and particularly Lawley who might have kept his spot in the team. The front row held themselves throughout the game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Every kid playing in Gold today was one of us, regardless of their parentage or genetic origin, - end of story.

Last time I looked they were all Australians.

Awesome performance and a portent to when the "grown ups" play each other next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.