• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Dark Shark, The Red horde from the North seems to be pretty strong on paper.

What is your take on their chances of a Candy Cane Final on Saturday (Reds vs Whites)?

From my perspective I think it will end up the traditional NSW I vs Qld I battle with a scare or two along the way.
Interesting the 'on paper' perspective has changed in the last 6 months after viewing the raw meat today. Many of the Qld lads have lost their puppy fat and the 2013 trimmed down versions were on display today. NSW I had the bigger pack and the backs were heavier than their Qld I counterparts.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
wins today for both of the NSW and QLD sides, NSW 1s were without a doubt the side of the day. Not sure on all names but a few standouts included:
NSW 1s - 6,7,8,10,11,13,14,15
NSW 2s - 13
QLD 2 - 9 (I think)
QLD 1 - 6,7,14,15
Impresses by ACT, especially all 4 halves who were outstanding for their size.

Andy Kellaway is Randoms player of the day.

Thanks R2! A couple of enquiries re the Kings connection - did Tulloch get on at all? How did Davis go for CS - did he start?

maybe CTPE can enlighten me?

Cheers, Wreckless :)

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
wins today for both of the NSW and QLD sides, NSW 1s were without a doubt the side of the day. Not sure on all names but a few standouts included:
NSW 1s - 6,7,8,10,11,13,14,15
NSW 2s - 13
QLD 2 - 9 (I think)
QLD 1 - 6,7,14,15
Impresses by ACT, especially all 4 halves who were outstanding for their size.

Andy Kellaway is Randoms player of the day.

Also R2 ( or anyone else! ) - how did Reece Hewat go for QLD?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Any of the W.A boys do anything R2 or was it back peddling all day against the steam rolling NSWI ?

Too be honest not really, they were very average in defence especially in broken play. The only 2 players I really noticed were the reserve halfback Herchelle and one of the wingers (think it was the 14), heard a few wraps on the big 3 as well. Regarding Tulloch, he played 12 all game and was solid although was not a stand out. Didn't really notice Hewatt (big blonde second rower is who I think you're referring to) but the ACT forwards had it over the QLD pack for the majority of the game.

WesternKiwi

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks R2 - reserve HB Herchelle CLASSEN and No.14 being Isaiah PEDERSEN. From what one of the dads txted me, our centre's fell off the tackle on most occasions and our back three, mainly PEDERSEN were having to tackle their hearts out and being mostly out numbers. NSW's team sounds bloody awsome.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Thanks R2 - reserve HB Herchelle CLASSEN and No.14 being Isaiah PEDERSEN. From what one of the dads txted me, our centre's fell off the tackle on most occasions and our back three, mainly PEDERSEN were having to tackle their hearts out and being mostly out numbers. NSW's team sounds bloody awsome.
Kellaway, Jones and Milne unstoppable...pretty much sums it up....NSW shifted the ball wide on every opportunity and they had too much size and speed for wa to handle. Always one of those 3 carving them up, with the other two in support to score. Pretty tough assignment for wa, but to their credit they never gave up despite the score.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Do you know why George?
didn't ask the lads. I thought it may have had something to do with "every player must start a game and all players must play a min 70mins during the tournament". Without any difference to WA this game ended up as an opposed training run for NSW I.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Kellaway, Jones and Milne unstoppable.pretty much sums it up.. / snip / Pretty tough assignment for wa, but to their credit they never gave up despite the score.

Agree totally with the first point. Not so sure about the second. They looked pretty despondent to me as the game wore on. The 40 point lead at half time was pretty telling on the lads from the west. There was precious little talk on the western front. All the chatter was from the NSW side. The WA scrum was probably the best part of WAs game IMHO.

therugbyman

Stan Wickham (3)
Didn't get a chance to watch the games yesterday, but it sounds like there is a bit of competition for the scrum half & fly half positions in the Australian schoolboys team. Any ideas on who will get the nod in these positions in the team?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
therugbyman, I wouldn't read too much into the performances from Day 1 games. The Thursday and Saturday games are typically a lot more evenly balanced than the opening day games, and IMHO these will be the main ones that determine if a boy gets selected or not, and into which position they are selected.

That being said in the backline #12, #13, #14 and #15 will be going to the NSW I boys baring major injury. #9, #10 and #11 are wide open.

I think that size rather then skill level may count against the NSW I and NSW II #10's.

DYEL

Bob McCowan (2)
therugbyman, I think that size rather then skill level may count against the NSW I and NSW II #10's.

I somewhat agree with you here Jarse,

BUT

It must be remembered that in what they do, both Deegan and Clancy are renowned for playing WELL above their weight. Deegan's defence is a hallmark of his game, whilst Clancy's confidence in taking the ball to the line is second to none. I also feel a bit as though you are basing much of this size idea on Horowitz from the years before, a true monster of a 10.

To support Deegan we need to think no further back than to the GPS 2011 season, where he as a year 10 boy, copped an absolute beating from the likes of Well's, Dempsey and Whitely from Riverview in the trials, but every single time he got back up and did what he had to do. Further affirmation of his toughness and resilience was shown in Joeys's games against Newington that year, with on more than one occasion, Deegan lifted and dropped the behemoth that is Ezrah Amituanai. Other than the occasional late hit, Deegan's size seems to be no limiting factor in his game. It was even noted in the GPS 2's game 2 weeks ago, that Deegan's defence was outstanding, proving he has not lost his touch.

For Clancy, I dare say that his lack of size, aids his game by providing an elusive element, with no team really counting on a bloke of his stature to be a line breaker as such. He has proven this on many an occasion against BIGGER opposition.

Need we say more than Jake Mcintyre of 2011/12 who played schoolboys, quite well in fact, but was not a monster, rather a 5/8 that SUITED his backline well, leading to their success.

This is what i believe selectors should base their pivotal selection at 10 on.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Never doubted the ticker of Clancy or Deegan, and it is often said it is about the size of the fight in the dog, more than the size of the dog in the fight.

Given the size and speed of the likely outside backs Kellaway, Moeroa, Milne, Jones, a nippy little 5/8 like Clancy or Deegan may be ideal.

As well as the "fight in the dog" saying, it is also said that a good big man will beat a good little man. I haven't seen the QLD #10's this year, and won't until Thursday, so I reserve judgement ATM except to note that Third from QLD is highly rated by many QLD scribes.

Status
Not open for further replies.