• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
If your desperate I remember seeing on the Aust. Schools Rugby site that you can link to VPA and pay for a download, just like paytv really!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Prefer Jones to be honest! Has speed and size, which will be needed IMHO.

In saying that I hope the kid proves me wrong and has a blinder!
I have no doubt,the youngster is the best defender in the back line(edit: along with the 15).you might recall Tep struggled with the Fiji 12 all game,young Hutch brought him down easily with his superior technique a couple of times.
He is also a reluctant passer of the football,so wing might suit him.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thought I'd chime in.
A few people have questioned Hutchinson's selection as starting winger, taking objection to this for various reasons - potential defence issues; size; and it seems speed as well. For what it's worth I can attest to his defensive prowess, as can nearly anyone who saw his sensational and clinical defensive performance against Fiji. I understand that New Zealand are, probably, a better team than Fiji and inherently have better players, but, in some ways, a day against Fiji may well be a tougher defensive outing than New Zealand, and he proved himself.
Size is not an issue whatsoever. Size itself can be a factor in issues - for example, being small may mean that the player is weak, unable to effectively defend, or unable to break tackles. None of these situations are true in the case of Hutchinson, he is strong, effective as a defender, and as many of his unfortunate opponents can attest to an incredible effective tackle buster. Thus size, or at least his size, is most certainly not an issue.
In terms of attacking prowess, I think his performance against Fiji says it all.

In regards to his movement to wing. I can't say I necessarily agree with it wholeheartedly, but for the record, Hutchinson has played wing before, and his incredible acceleration/pace in general (especially when moving laterally) will make the movement someone justified. Obviously it would be preferable to not have to play players out of position, but I understand the movement - you can't pass on an opportunity to start Tanne, and it would send an awful message to players everywhere if you dropped Hutchinson, as both myself, and other's would agree he was player of the game on Tuesday, that message being that players are picked solely on reputation not form. Harry Jones is necessary collateral, in all honesty he hasn't been playing amazing rugby at this standard, and it would be unfair to keep him in the team while one of the better members of the team, who could do a better job, was kept warming benches. Harry Jones will be incredibly effective from the bench, he possesses enormous talent, but his form isn't great.

I like to watch is correct though, Hutchinson is a reluctant passer, it is a part of the game he must work on - having made it to Schoolboys the "I mustn't pass it to impress the selectors attitude" should mitigate this sin somewhat, but you are correct, it is a fatal Hamartia.

I tip the Aussie schoolboys by <10.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have no doubt,the youngster is the best defender in the back line.you might recall Tep struggled with the Fiji 12 all game,young Hutch brought him down easily with his superior technique a couple of times.

Your quote is spot on from what I witnessed in the Fiji v Oz game. Hutch seemed to be a solid 'around the legs' defender and I think his speed on the wing will suit the Aussies. In saying that, Jones did nothing wrong, I would have dropped the other winger back to the bench as he looked weaker in defence, yet could have covered a few backline positions if called upon.

I remember watching the NZ vs Aus A game and their wingers were big and fast, as you'd expect, but they were also aggressive and were "woohooing" anytime they put on a big hit etc. Regardless of the selection choices, the game will no doubt be a good one and the boys should be proud that they have people like us (no offence if you guys are ex Wallabies) commenting on their behalf.

Good Luck!

blackheart

Peter Burge (5)
I have no doubt,the youngster is the best defender in the back line(edit: along with the 15).you might recall Tep struggled with the Fiji 12 all game,young Hutch brought him down easily with his superior technique a couple of times.

Agreed, Hutch more than covered for Tanne. Tanne is coming back from injury, leave Hutch at 13, where he excelled, and bring Tanne on from the bench.
Why accommodate league aligned players when the replacement is more than up to the job.

blackheart

Peter Burge (5)
I think it's an absolute disgrace that boys who are playing Rugby League next year are allowed to participate in the Australian Rugby Schoolboys side. Kick them out.

Don't kick them out , just don't give them priority in senior selections. State level is a s far as they go. National level where the ARU is going to spend big bucks on these league contracted players should be ruled out. Would Gina Rhinehart hire a contracted Biliton exec for one month only have him return to Biliton to spend his productive life.? Grow some Gilberts and make a stand schools rugby!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am a little bemused to see Jones benched for Hutchison.

Hutchison is a good player, there is no doubt, but is he a winger?

I can not recall him playing there before. Seems very Deansesque to play a good player out of position.

Jones is a pretty classy player who will go far in rugby regardless of whether he runs off the bench tomorrow or not.

Look at Horwitz who was unwanted by Schools last year and is now in the Tahs EPS having just played most of the year in 1st Grade with the Wicks.

As Brainstrust said on another thread:
If you have heard Eric Rush the former All Black speak he tells a great story about when he was growing up. He always trialled but never got picked. His father would always say "Don't worry because its just one blokes opinion, maybe the next guy will think differently". When he excitedly phoned his father to tell him he had been selected for the All Blacks, his father congratulated him, but reminded him "it's just one blokes opinion. Don't get a big head, because the next bloke may not like you."

Wise fellow Eric Rush's Dad.

How Jones takes being dropped will define him as a player.
Let's hope he brushes it off and trains and plays his guts out. Alternately he could go to Maccas at 4am, have a blue with Flight Attendants, start his own brand, and . and . and.
Jones started for schools against Fiji in 2012 but did not go to NZ at all.
History repeats.
On what I saw at the schools championships if I had to put money on a post school union career for one player I would put it on Jones before any of the other highly fancied backs, including Kellaway, Milne & Moorea.
Interesting that some think Hutchinson is the best back line defender given what the future holds for M&M and that loig supporters are critical of union defence.

Bill McLean (32)
I have no doubt,the youngster is the best defender in the back line(edit: along with the 15).you might recall Tep struggled with the Fiji 12 all game ... ... ... ... ... ...

I would respectfully have to disagree with you here! For mine Kikau and Moeroa neutralized each other. Kikau did get the better of him in the early stages of the match, however as the game wore on Kikau was becoming noticeably tired.

At nearly every break in play (especially in the second half) Kikau was bent over, hands on knees sucking in oxygen like a vacuum possessed! In addition his strength was waning and he was an easier target to bring down for all Australian boys, including Hutch and Moeroa! I do also remember Moeroa getting around with ease come the second half (which for mine he was t readily able to do in the first).

As I have stated in earlier posts, Fiji really did pour their heart and soul into that game against NZ and the quick turnaround of 3 days meant that they were always going to struggle with respect to avoiding fatigue!

Bill McLean (32)
But it's an even playing field today! Both NZ and Australia have been 'tenderized' by the Fijians (as only some of Captain Cook's former crew would remember after being captured and thrown into the pot many moons ago), so no excuses for both teams!

Heres to a trifecta gents, Australia by 10 with that sensational backline and sound forward platform (which included my favorite 'Ranga' in #7).

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Harry Jones is necessary collateral, in all honesty he hasn't been playing amazing rugby at this standard, and it would be unfair to keep him in the team while one of the better members of the team, who could do a better job, was kept warming benches. Harry Jones will be incredibly effective from the bench, he possesses enormous talent, but his form isn't great.

Can't agree at all with this. Harry was a standout for NSW 1s and had very limited opportunity in the game v Fiji although did all asked of him. Kid is a gun and as already noted has potential to go far. Think at this point with Hutch's identified weaknesses that Jones is the better all round player. Didn't see his school games but wondering how he is out of form? Thought Hutch was a standout and dropping him would be tough although Milne deserves his place in the team especially after an outstanding season.

HJ has the inside info but I overheard after the last match that Jones took a knock to his leg or hip hence the substitution and I wonder whether still inconvenienced was a factor in the decision?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I would respectfully have to disagree with you here! For mine Kikau and Moeroa neutralized each other. Kikau did get the better of him in the early stages of the match, however as the game wore on Kikau was becoming noticeably tired.

At nearly every break in play (especially in the second half) Kikau was bent over, hands on knees sucking in oxygen like a vacuum possessed! In addition his strength was waning and he was an easier target to bring down for all Australian boys, including Hutch and Moeroa! I do also remember Moeroa getting around with ease come the second half (which for mine he was t readily able to do in the first).

As I have stated in earlier posts, Fiji really did pour their heart and soul into that game against NZ and the quick turnaround of 3 days meant that they were always going to struggle with respect to avoiding fatigue!
Interesting.
My recollection was that Tep was dominated in the first half,and had a heap of counter opportunities in the second,with varied success.
It's funny how we see the same thing and come away with quite different perspectives of the same event.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My snout on the inside hasn't reported any injury niggles to Jones or any other player for that matter.

But . . . . . for many of these kids, this is the Grand Final, and little niggles may not be fully disclosed to others for fear of being dropped and missing out.

While it is plausible that he could be carrying a knock from Fiji, I would think if that was the case, the Selectors wouldn't even have him on the the bench, and they would recall Jurd.

On another tack, the Aust A's seem to have named a stronger run on side than Tuesday. With a game under their belt, I expect them to put up a decent fight against the Bula Boys, who will be "tenderised" (thanks @Newbie) from their 3 tour games so far.

Well done to Sydney's Fijian community who have supported their team very passionately.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting.
My recollection was that Tep was dominated in the first half,and had a heap of counter opportunities in the second,with varied success.
It's funny how we see the same thing and come away with quite different perspectives of the same event.

I thought that Tepai could have benefited from some longer studs in his boots.

He came a cropper at least two times.

Not a fan of the "blades" type boots.

Bill McLean (32)
Interesting.

You know me ILTW; I'm biased when it comes to dual coders.

I will have to agree with missed opportunities in the second half though!

Bill McLean (32)
Ha
My snout on the inside hasn't reported any injury niggles to Jones or any other player for that matter.

But . . . for many of these kids, this is the Grand Final, and little niggles may not be fully disclosed to others for fear of being dropped and missing out.

While it is plausible that he could be carrying a knock from Fiji, I would think if that was the case, the Selectors wouldn't even have him on the the bench, and they would recall Jurd.

On another tack, the Aust A's seem to have named a stronger run on side than Tuesday. With a game under their belt, I expect them to put up a decent fight against the Bula Boys, who will be "tenderised" (thanks @Newbie) from theur 3 tour games so far.

Well done to Sydney's Fijian community who have supported their team very passionately.

I will have to agree with you HJ; the Fiji boys are probably physically (and possibly psychologically) spent! They will do well to beat 'Australia A' with a stronger line up as you suggest!

Australia A by 3!

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Don't kick them out , just don't give them priority in senior selections. State level is a s far as they go. National level where the ARU is going to spend big bucks on these league contracted players should be ruled out. Would Gina Rhinehart hire a contracted Biliton exec for one month only have him return to Biliton to spend his productive life.? Grow some Gilberts and make a stand schools rugby!
The Selectors will pick the Best Players for the Teams regardless if they boys have signed with NRL, Aussie Rules, Soccer etc. Unless the Rules Change. Every School Boy has a chance to be picked. These Contracted NRL Players etc. might decide Union is the way to go after league etc. Who Knows, that is what the ARU is hoping. But at present they are entitled to play, they are Schoolboys they have trained hard, played Union over the years for their school and they fit the criteria.

Bill McLean (32)
Just seen the weather report; it's going to be 27 degrees at 1500 (@kickoff) for the Fiji v Australia A game. For mine this island weather so my prediction alters - now it's either the A's by 3 or Fiji by 20+.

In this weather if the Fijians have their tail up by half-time they will go on with the job!

Status
Not open for further replies.