• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
Australia seriously snatched defeat from the jaws of victory IMHO! They were the better team throughout the whole game! It was theirs to win!

Bill McLean (32)
Good choice.
Liked the look of him today.
Hard to gauge his size for the purpose of predictions for his future.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this one IS!

He is reminding me of England's 5 foot nothing tenacious flanker Neil Back. He was destined to finish his career in the England B team until the same team went on a development tour to NZ in the mid 90's. He later went on to secure his place in the England team and has a 2003 RWC gold medal to prove that size does not matter!

The Great Bagsby

Bob McCowan (2)
Good to see that Andrew Deegan chose to stay on with the schools team instead of the two wheeled pursuits! An impressive showing today from the young flyhalf and one most wonder why he was taken off in the dying stages. However after speaking to this fine young gentleman after the game he informed that once again his love of both Cycling and Rugby would be clashing again in the near future has he has been invited to attend a "Talented Riders Program" at the AIS just prior to the departure of the European Tour. Should he choose to attend this Cycling camp it would delay his arrival in Europe and he informed me the selectors were non to pleased with this and he has been told to make a choice between the 2 sports! Whilst I hope the young man chooses Rugby I feel this is an unfair ultimatum to present the young man with and he should be allowed to pursue both sports for as long as possible!

Interesting times ahead my fellow forumers!

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
I thought both matches this afternoon were very entertaining with some excellent individual and team performances.

Australia's try was something to behold, a fantastic interchange of passing before Milne dived over.

As much as it hurts me to admit it, I thought that NZ were the better side in terms of their breakdown work & our line out execution misfired too often. NZ also hit the post with a relatively easy penalty attempt plus they knocked on from a 5m scrum win. I thought we'd hang on but sadly it was not to be.

ld2b

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good to see that Andrew Deegan chose to stay on with the schools team instead of the two wheeled pursuits! An impressive showing today from the young flyhalf and one most wonder why he was taken off in the dying stages. However after speaking to this fine young gentleman after the game he informed that once again his love of both Cycling and Rugby would be clashing again in the near future has he has been invited to attend a "Talented Riders Program" at the AIS just prior to the departure of the European Tour. Should he choose to attend this Cycling camp it would delay his arrival in Europe and he informed me the selectors were non to pleased with this and he has been told to make a choice between the 2 sports! Whilst I hope the young man chooses Rugby I feel this is an unfair ultimatum to present the young man with and he should be allowed to pursue both sports for as long as possible!

Interesting times ahead my fellow forumers!

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Aust/NZ a thoroughly enjoyable match. Aust certainly had their chances but, as at senior level, the defensive and break down excellence of the men in Black was decisive. With a one man advantage going into the final 15, we should have wrapped it up, but a couple of missed tackles saw the blacks get the better of our boys.

I thought Deegan played a huge game - took it to the adv line time and again, with some magic long flat passes to support out wide. When he didn't pass, his aggressive running and body position into contact were superb, resulting in quality recycled ball. That's all in the first five manual, but his defence and counter rucking were an object lesson to most back rowers. He may be a bit small to take it to the next level, but all other requisites are in the armoury.

As others have noted, McCalman was strong round the paddock, as was no. 4 Hanigan, who has an admirable work ethic and some much needed mongrel. Milne was strong and opened up the blacks a few times with his strength and evasiveness. 16 year old Hutchison also justified his selection with some incisive running and memorable defensive efforts on the very quick and strong outside backs from NZ.

No disrespect to the starting bookends, who gave their all, but I think Sandell was missed and must still be a show for the tour if fit.

Finally, what is it with NZ 10s - do they have any that look like they are NOT ready to step straight into the ABs on 5 mins notice? McKenzie was excellent and close to the quickest man on the pitch.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought both matches this afternoon were very entertaining with some excellent individual and team performances.

Australia's try was something to behold, a fantastic interchange of passing before Milne dived over.

As much as it hurts me to admit it, I thought that NZ were the better side in terms of their breakdown work & our line out execution misfired too often. NZ also hit the post with a relatively easy penalty attempt plus they knocked on from a 5m scrum win. I thought we'd hang on but sadly it was not to be.
I agree: I was surprised someone thought Australia snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in game led by NZ for 2/3.
In that fading light and the glare of the big screen right at eye level it was hard to tell who to credit for initiating a great try but I think it was Deegans call to go blind and it was a great one.
I will be howled down i suspect but the lack of ball playing skills at 12 and 13 seemed to me to cost us at times though both were strong in other areas, with one inexplicable, what looked like, man on man lapse in the 1st half.
A good but not vintage year in the annals of oz schools.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
While I'm happy with McCalman getting the bronze boot I think Deegan can be considered unlucky. Was outstanding in both games his support play in the first game and direction he provided was fantastic. Yesterday he ran more and seemed to always know when to run or pass. He was fearless in attack and defence.

Overall great game which could have went either way. Probably weren't as many individual standout performers but great team showing by both. A much changed game plan from the Oz boys and I'm not sure if it was due to the pressure of the Kiwis. The propensity to kick first as opposed to run as against Fiji could be due to the opponent although brought greater rewards on Tuesday. The kick for goal when camped deep in NZ territory on the attack after much pressure seemed a strange option and one the kiwis would have been happy with. Alternatively the kiwis had chances to and in the post match function all sides conceded a struck match between the teams with a result either way possible at the death. The Fijians were very satisfied with their week and the initial victory and all sides re-convene in Wellington next year to resume the hostilities. Congrats to all the boys on some great rugby and good luck as the Oz and Oz A boys wait til next Wednesday for the naming of the touring squad

ld2b

Allen Oxlade (6)
"Unfortunately the deck will be stacked against them again on tour. The Australian schoolboys will not be playing against any national schools team"

What does LG mean?

Oldpig

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree: I was surprised someone thought Australia snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in game led by NZ for 2/3.
In that fading light and the glare of the big screen right at eye level it was hard to tell who to credit for initiating a great try but I think it was Deegans call to go blind and it was a great one.
I will be howled down i suspect but the lack of ball playing skills at 12 and 13 seemed to me to cost us at times though both were strong in other areas, with one inexplicable, what looked like, man on man lapse in the 1st half.
A good but not vintage year in the annals of oz schools.

Inside Shoulder, I am going to agree with you on 12 & 13. I don't think the combination worked all that well yesterday. Both players seemed to rely too much on their own physical size to break the line. When they did pass it was too late or poorly executed. Memories poor but I thought the starting back line from the Fiji v Aus earlier in the week was or appeared to be better connected with each other.
That said, what a great week of rugby for both the players & the spectators.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Deegan was the best of the Boys in Gold. For a smallish fellow, he showed plenty of ticker both on attack and defence. McCalman fell off a few tackles and I felt he was outplayed by the Black loosies. He missed his mate Wilkin.

I feel sorry for the wings. The M&M show starved them of the Pill. Henley looked pacey when he got the ball, and Hutchison looked dangerous, but they essentially withered on the vine. Was it a game plan to try and bash it up in the centres, or poor execution by the M&M's?

Brad Wilkin's shoulder injury did not look pretty and losing him early on was a blow to the Golden boys. I didn't think that the replacement Warren-Vosayaco was up to the standard. I hope Wilkin is fit for the tour, as we seem to be a little thin on in big aggressive flankers.

There was plenty of debate on Hutchison starting over Jones. While he looked a little lost on occasions, when facing a Black overlap (where were the inside men and loose forwards?), he seemed to do well on attack and defence.

Not only were the M&M show predictable on attack, they did miss a couple of tackles on defence that the Black Boys took advantage of.

Great effort by the #4 and #5 who toiled well all game.

Two bloody good games of rugby.

Why did ASRU only charge $5 to watch? With a Euro tour to fund, there would be few in that crowd that would have baulked at paying $10 or $15 for footy of that standard, especially when it was going to subsidise the tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.