• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Wright

Frank Row (1)
Very surprised with tom pirrodi not making either team. I reckon he had a great week especially with the set plays. As well as Tom wright just being selected in Australia A, he had a phenomal week with some individual brilliance, don't know why he didn't make the top team.

The Spaceman

Frank Nicholson (4)
Did a quick breakdown so its easier to see. Very interesting team selections in my books, especially with the dominance of NSW. Luka wasn't up to scratch in my books, the NSW props were outstanding; much more dynamic. Tom Wright probably didn't get a gig because he butchered too many tries by not passing it, Charlie Smith because he's too small?? Such a great player though - this is my main shock. I had him starting @ 7. Piroddi must be gutted as well. Thought that Kalala Meni might've made the main squad as well but opted for the bigger Girdler I guess? I actually thought Meni outplayed Gittoes at most stages but obviously they want more to be able to swap into the second row by only choosing McCauley and Hockings as their only true second rowers? This is confusing but I'm sure someone on here will be able to shed light.

Props: Johnson-Holmes (NSW I), Chapman (NSW I), Will McRae (NSW II), Cody Walker (NSW II)

Hookers: Horton (NSW I), Wolske (QLD II),

2-Row: Ryan McCauley (NSW I), Harry Hockings (QLD II),

Backrow: Lachlan Anderson (NSW I), Jack Farrell (QLD II), Max Girdler (NSW I), Nate Gittoes (NSW I), Reece Hewat (QLD I)

Halves: Harry Goddard (NSW I), Jordan Lenac (QLD I), Jack McGregor (NSW I),

Inside backs: Dan England (NSW I), Liam Moseley (QLD I),

Outside backs: Simon Kennewell (NSW I), Sepesa (NSW I), Jayden Ngamanu (QLD I), Dylan Riley (QLD I), Geoffrey Robertson (QLD II)

BREAKDOWN: NSW I = 12, QLD I = 5, NSW II = 2, QLD II = 4

rugbyXV

Stan Wickham (3)
Did a quick breakdown so its easier to see. Very interesting team selections in my books, especially with the dominance of NSW. Luka wasn't up to scratch in my books, the NSW props were outstanding; much more dynamic. Tom Wright probably didn't get a gig because he butchered too many tries by not passing it, Charlie Smith because he's too small?? Such a great player though - this is my main shock. I had him starting @ 7. Piroddi must be gutted as well. Thought that Kalala Meni might've made the main squad as well but opted for the bigger Girdler I guess? I actually thought Meni outplayed Gittoes at most stages but obviously they want more to be able to swap into the second row by only choosing McCauley and Hockings as their only true second rowers? This is confusing but I'm sure someone on here will be able to shed light.

Props: Johnson-Holmes (NSW I), Chapman (NSW I), Will McRae (NSW II), Cody Walker (NSW II)

Hookers: Horton (NSW I), Wolske (QLD II),

2-Row: Ryan McCauley (NSW I), Harry Hockings (QLD II),

Backrow: Lachlan Anderson (NSW I), Jack Farrell (QLD II), Max Girdler (NSW I), Nate Gittoes (NSW I), Reece Hewat (QLD I)

Halves: Harry Goddard (NSW I), Jordan Lenac (QLD I), Jack McGregor (NSW I),

Inside backs: Dan England (NSW I), Liam Moseley (QLD I),

Outside backs: Simon Kennewell (NSW I), Sepesa (NSW I), Jayden Ngamanu (QLD I), Dylan Riley (QLD I), Geoffrey Robertson (QLD II)

BREAKDOWN: NSW I = 12, QLD I = 5, NSW II = 2, QLD II = 4

How did Robertson (QLD II) get a spot over Wright (NSW I)? Same goes for Farrell (QLD II) over Smith (NSW I) and Allen (QLD I).

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Shock horror....I think the selectors have most things right....
But can't agree with them completely..
With McCauley and Hockings they have gone for height at second row.
Piroddi has been short changed somewhat. Deserved at least a run n the Barbarians.
Also would have gone for Smith in the first XV.
He was everywhere today, more than makes up for his size in speed and work rate.
I believe there is the option to move boys between the teams after the initial games.
Smith and Tom Wright will have a chance to prove themselves worthy.

Standout player for me today was NSW number 5 McCauley.
Tallest player in the tournament - fit, agile and surprisingly quick for a big lad.
Haven't been too many natural second rowers coming through the ranks recently. He reminds me of a young Eales.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I think Tom Pirodi has been hard done by but interesting the two Qld 1st second rowers were overlooked for the Aust schoolboys in favour of Harry Hocking. Clearly national selectors have a different view to state selectors.

I was glad that Lachlan Swinton was selected in the Babas. He was tremendous all week, tackling like a demon and a go to man in the line out. If Gittoes,Girldler or Hewat slip up he is a handy replacement.

The Spaceman

Frank Nicholson (4)
How did Robertson (QLD II) get a spot over Wright (NSW I)? Same goes for Farrell (QLD II) over Smith (NSW I) and Allen (QLD I).

Totally agree. I would have dropped Allen for Smith. I actually really rated Farrell and thought he was the best QLD backrower overall. Weird that he was in QLD II. I think that the call would have been two spots for Ngamanu, Wright, Robertson. QLD selectors may have picked Robertson on potential/what they've seen in school footy? He's also bigger. I'm just trying to rationalise things - I know that some selectors did have issues with Wright's type of play/attitude.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
how was his penalty count today?

Smith was fine today....thursday he got caned.
Always going to give a few away when you are in the thick of it for most of the match.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
This is my opinion. I've looked at these players and determined that the talent pool at national champs has been somewhat split between the two Australian teams. I've organised the players selected into the teams I think will perform best, obviously reserves may take starting positions and they still have to add an inside and outside back to the Babas team.

Both teams will play Samoan schools and NZ schools, with the Babas playingfirst round against NZ schools. The last game that is played will be Aus vs NZ schools, so I'm guessing (if it's possible) that players may be moved around between the the teams as to ensure the strongest possible team for the game against NZ schoolboys. Not really sure though. Perhaps the coaches just want to bring out the most talent in the starting XVs and not have it relegated to the bench.

Australian Schoolboys 2015
1) Harry Johnson Holmes – N1
2) Tom Horton – N1
3) Harrison Chapman – N1
4) Ryan McAuley – N1
5) Reece Hewat – Q1
6) Nathaniel Gittoes – N1
7) Jack Farrell – Q2
8) Lachlan Anderson – N1
9) Harrison Goddard – N1
10) Jack McGregor – N1
11) Dylan Riley – Q1
12) Daniel England – N1
13) Simon Kennewell – N1
14) Sepesa Loga Tarogi – N1
15) Jayden Ngamanu – Q1

16) Tevita Wolske – Q2
17) Cody Walker – N2
18) Will McRae – N2
19) Harry Hockings – Q2
20) Max Girdler – N1
21) Jordan Lenac – Q1
22) Liam Mosely – Q1
23) Geoffrey Robertson – Q2

Australian Barbarians 2015
1) Harry Hoopert – Q1
2) Efi Ma’afu – Q1
3) Gavin Luka – Q1
4) Darcy Swain – Q1
5) Lachlan Swinton – N2
6) Kalala Meni – Q1
7) Charlie Smith – N1
8) Sam Wallis – Q2
9) Theo Strang – N2
10) Hamish Stewart – Q1
11) Kris Verevis – Q1
12) -
13) Len Ikitau – Q1
14) Villiam Latu – N1
15) Tom Wright – N1

16) Jack Nettleton – N2
17) Sama Malolo – N2
18) Joel Kuchel – Q2
19) Robert Leota – VIC
20) Angus Allen – Q1
21) Ryan Lonergan – ACT
22) Tyler Campbell – Q1
23) –

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
I have no idea why Tom Pirrodi was left out, especially with the VIC lock making the Babas team. Also does anyone know if Theo Strang will be ready to play by September? I heard he was injured quite badly.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
This is my opinion. I've looked at these players and determined that the talent pool at national champs has been somewhat split between the two Australian teams. I've organised the players selected into the teams I think will perform best, obviously reserves may take starting positions and they still have to add an inside and outside back to the Babas team.[/
Both teams will play Samoan schools and NZ schools, with the Babas playingfirst round against NZ schools. The last game that is played will be Aus vs NZ schools, so I'm guessing (if it's possible) that players may be moved around between the the teams as to ensure the strongest possible team for the game against NZ schoolboys. Not really sure though. Perhaps the coaches just want to bring out the most talent in the starting XVs and not have it relegated to the bench.

1) Harry Johnson Holmes – N1
2) Tom Horton – N1
3) Harrison Chapman – N1
4) Ryan McAuley – N1
5) Reece Hewat – Q1
6) Nathaniel Gittoes – N1
7) Jack Farrell – Q2
8) Lachlan Anderson – N1
9) Harrison Goddard – N1
10) Jack McGregor – N1
11) Dylan Riley – Q1
12) Daniel England – N1
13) Simon Kennewell – N1
14) Sepesa Loga Tarogi – N1
15) Jayden Ngamanu – Q1

16) Tevita Wolske – Q2
17) Cody Walker – N2
18) Will McRae – N2
19) Harry Hockings – Q2
20) Max Girdler – N1
21) Jordan Lenac – Q1
22) Liam Mosely – Q1
23) Geoffrey Robertson – Q2

1) Harry Hoopert – Q1
2) Efi Ma’afu – Q1
3) Gavin Luka – Q1
4) Darcy Swain – Q1
5) Lachlan Swinton – N2
6) Kalala Meni – Q1
7) Charlie Smith – N1
8) Sam Wallis – Q2
9) Theo Strang – N2
10) Hamish Stewart – Q1
11) Kris Verevis – Q1
12) -
13) Len Ikitau – Q1
14) Villiam Latu – N1
15) Tom Wright – N1

16) Jack Nettleton – N2
17) Sama Malolo – N2
18) Joel Kuchel – Q2
19) Robert Leota – VIC
20) Angus Allen – Q1
21) Ryan Lonergan – ACT
22) Tyler Campbell – Q1
23) –

I agree with you
. I think you are correct with these lineups

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I have no idea why Tom Pirrodi was left out, especially with the VIC lock making the Babas team. Also does anyone know if Theo Strang will be ready to play by September? I heard he was injured quite badly.

He played today. his injury from day 1 was minor. Or are you saying he was badly hurt today.

CB Set

Peter Burge (5)
After watching some excellent football today this is my suggestion for the lineups.

1) Harry Johnson Holmes – NSW1
2) Tevita Wolske – QLD2
3) Harrison Chapman – NSW1
4) Ryan McAuley – NSW1
5) Harry Hockings – QLD2
6) Nathan Gittoes – NSW1
7) Jack Farrell – QLD2
8) Reece Hewat-QLD1
9) Harrison Goddard – NSW1
10) Jack McGregor – NSW1
11) Dylan Riley – QLD1
12) Liam Moseley-QLD1
13) Simon Kennewell – NSW1
14) Sepesa Loga Tarogi – NSW1
15) Jayden Ngamanu – QLD1

16) Tom Horton-NSW1
17) Cody Walker – NSW2
18) Will McRae – NSW2
19) Lachlan Anderson-NSW1
20) Max Girdler – NSW2
21) Jordan Lenac – QLD1
22) Daniel England-NSW1
23) Geoffrey Robertson – QLD2
1) Harry Hoopert – QLD1
2) Jack Nettleton-NSW2
3) Gavin Luka – QLD1
4) Darcy Swain – QLD1

5) Robert Leota – VIC
6) Kalala Meni – QLD1
7) Angus Allan-QLD1
8) Sam Wallis – QLD2
9) Theo Strang – NSW2
10) Hamish Stewart – QLD1
11) Kris Verevis – QLD1
12) Calvin Pritchard (assuming this is one of the left over spots)
13) Len Ikitau – QLD1
14) Villiam Latu – NSW1
15) Tom Wright – NSW1

16) Efitusi Ma’afu–QLD1
17) Sama Malolo – NSW2
18) Joel Kuchel – QLD2
19) Lachlan Swinton-NSW2
20) Charlie Smith – NSW1
21) Ryan Lonergan – ACT
22) Tyler Campbell – QLD1
23) Luke Lough (assuming this is one of the left over spots)

tight hamstring

Frank Nicholson (4)
My take :

* QLD had 7 penalties in a row at start of 2nd half , that made them competitive . I make no comment as to whether they were or weren't justified . I was too far away to tell .

* Re 1 , means both sides have claims to higher selection .

* Smith was best on field and deserved Aus selection not babas . But I can understand concern re size against NZ etc . Still I thought he was great .

*Piroddi made far too many mistakes . And with forwards reasonably even someone was going to miss out .No complaints there .

* Wright was electric in attack but his defence is atrocious . Did not deserve higher honours .

* England lucky .

* NSW 1 wingers ineffectual .

* Goddard misses too many tackles but good otherwise . NSW 2 half ( don't' know him ) the best half .

Will review above and maybe make other comments . Not sure of many names .

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
My take :

* QLD had 7 penalties in a row at start of 2nd half , that made them competitive . I make no comment as to whether they were or weren't justified . I was too far away to tell .

* Re 1 , means both sides have claims to higher selection .

* Smith was best on field and deserved Aus selection not babas . But I can understand concern re size against NZ etc . Still I thought he was great .

*Piroddi made far too many mistakes . And with forwards reasonably even someone was going to miss out .No complaints there .

* Wright was electric in attack but his defence is atrocious . Did not deserve higher honours .

* England lucky .

* NSW 1 wingers ineffectual .

* Goddard misses too many tackles but good otherwise . NSW 2 half ( don't' know him ) the best half .

Will review above and maybe make other comments . Not sure of many names .

Agreed with everything. Especially with the NSW wings being not very effective. Theo Strang is the half for NSW II.

Status
Not open for further replies.