• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelhooper

Bob McCowan (2)
I am very impressed with the video coverage and commentary of the games. What a great initiative.

NSW I and II both had a good start to the tournament. The NSW I backs really clicked in the 2nd half and looked fantastic. Charlie Rorke and Frost in the forwards were so impressive.

In the NSW II's I liked the look of Stead and Ward. Both ran the ball well.

ACT and CS looked very dangerous and may be the dark horses. They have certainly made a statement in beating both QLD teams. I'm sure that the two QLD teams will be smarting after today and will bounce back hard.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm sure that the two QLD teams will be smarting after today and will bounce back hard.
The trouble being that it's not really a tournament that rewards teams that get better with time.

Their only way into finals now is likely to beat the NSW teams in their pool, have the NSW teams beat CS/ACT, and hope the Points Differential/Bonus Points stacks up.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Last year player dislocated shouldet in his first game,
Shadow brought into camp after advice that player would not be able to compete further
Injured player had to leave camp
To make way for new player

The same happened this year. Unfortunately a player was injured during a training session 2 days before start of Championship, shadow brought in, the injured player left camp .. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There was actually an article on him the other day....

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...-schoolboy-championships-20170629-gx19gf.html

He's obviously Ryan Lonergan's brother who is the young Brumbies recruit, and likely/possible/probable Aus U20's halfback next year.

This is Lachlan, played a blinder against NZ Schools last year

Lachlan-Lonergan-620x413.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Big call.

How on earth would Victoria influence selection?

If that's not the case, are we presuming selectors are just benevolent towards Victorians?
What's with the royal plural?
Its not a proposition confined to Victoria. All the smaller rugby states have the same outcome.
Not being privy to the selection meetings I cannot say why it happens.

S

sidelineview

Based on the first day's games at least, Victoria and Western Australia are not as strong as they were last year.

The Queensland teams were disappointing on the first day last year but bounced back for their second games, but this year it's their 3rd game that will test them. QLD1 vs NSW2 & QLD2 vs NSW1.

It looks likely it will be another NSW Final with NSW1 being the favourites, but it's only early days. It wouldnt surprise to see CS improve a lot for game 2 against NSW1.

Some States didn't play their strongest teams on Day 1 so thats another consideration.

Some players who stood out on the first day: both Qld number 9s; Albert Hopoate & Luca Moretti NSW1; Liam Cornish, Hunter Ward & Harry Haywood NSW2; no 4 for Qld1; Harrison Cannon, Emmitt Keepa, Jack Walsh & Triston Reilly CS.

There were no doubt more players who went well Day 1 but they're the ones who I noticed.

It's a bit annoying that CS players arent listed with numbers in the program.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
It will be interesting to see how the NSW 1's backline clicks in its next game. It was a different backline in the second half yesterday and showed some entertaining running rugby. I will try to watch the streaming in between dealing with annoying things like clients....

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Great effort for a kid that has only just turned 16.
If he makes an Australian team I'd wager he'd be the youngest.
He's turning 17 this year.. save your $$ mate .. great player though. AH will feature somewhere in the National team.. hopefully he stays with Union as hel
Likely return to league ..

S

sidelineview

A debate was had last year concerning players who participate in these Nationals but have committed to play league for the following year.

Personally, I think all players should sign a declaration, co-signed by a parent, indicating their commitment to either code for the following season.
This should be done earlier in the season before Association Rep teams are selected.

They could tick one of three boxes: Rugby, League or Undecided.

If they've already committed to League they shouldn't be selected to play in the Nationals, only if they tick Undecided or Rugby.

It's a competitive market and Australian rugby needs to recruit aggressively and get players into the systems such as Gen Blue. They wont steal kids away from RL if they're not proactive.

What can they offer? educational opportunities within respective Clubs for one. Can they compete with RL clubs? I'm not sure.

NSW Rugby seems much more proactive now in recruiting which is a positive sign.

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
CS 28 QLD II 22.

Here's a match report of the CS V QLD II - game
posted on Rugby.com.au

Combined States 28
QLD II 22
Combined States controlled the first 10 minutes and a pinpoint cross field kick from Jack Walsh hit Stirling Doyle on the chest to open the scoring.
Walsh scored a try of his own a minute later, this time the beneficiary of his own superb cutout pass which caught the Queenslanders napping and started a line break down the left hand sideline.
He followed the supporting run of Michael Pavlakis to catch the final pass and streak away to score under the sticks.

Combined States battered Queensland II's pack. Photo:
ARU

The Queenslanders had not entered the Combined States 22 in the opening quarter but when they did, a big scrum created space for Josh Vuta to work with and the halfback set up Viliami Lea for the easiest try he will score this tournament.
It took a superb lineout play, in which Rhys van Nek found Lachlan Connors, who flicked it back to the hooker, for the Queenslanders to score their second and narrow the margin to a 14-10 at the break.
Combined States looked the better of the two teams as they emerged from the sheds and Harry Turner extended the lead soon after.

Combined States wreaked havoc at lineout time. Photo: ARU Media
QLD II returned serve with Lea’s second, the scrum again setting the platform for a 60m movement which saw each of the backs draw and pass before the left winger finished with a strong run.
A dumb offload from Carter Gordon gifted Tristan Reilly the sealer, though, as QLD II met the same fate as their QLD I counterparts.
Eye catchers - QLD II
Rhys van Nek - Scored a brilliant try from a lineout and did plenty of work defensively in a pack that struggled.
Emile Tuimavave - Was the Queensland pack’s best source of go forward and formed part of a first half scrum that held its own.
Lachlan Connors - Orchestrated the lineout with a cool head, carried well and did plenty of tough stuff at the breakdown.
Eye catchers - Combined States
Jack Walsh - Looked as sharp as any other player on Day One. Had a hand in both CS first half tries, setting up the first before setting up and finishing the second.
Michael Pavlakis - A constant source of attacking threat from the back. Made Queensland pay for some average in game kicking.
Harry Turner - Came on and looked the most accomplished openside flanker of the day. Scored a try but it was his hard nosed work at the defensive breakdown which made the biggest impact.

Includes a Highlights video clip

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/07/02/23/10/australian-schoolboys-champs-day-one-live

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
There was actually an article on him the other day....

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...-schoolboy-championships-20170629-gx19gf.html

He's obviously Ryan Lonergan's brother who is the young Brumbies recruit, and likely/possible/probable Aus U20's halfback next year.

I don't think he will start Aus 20s next year considering the starting halfback from this year (Goddard) is bottom aged. Good player though, I do remember hearing the ACT hooker and halfback from last year were brothers.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
What's with the royal plural?
Its not a proposition confined to Victoria. All the smaller rugby states have the same outcome.
Not being privy to the selection meetings I cannot say why it happens.
I just don't think it's a fair comment.

Taking 2016 as an example, who out of the #8 and #13 would you not have picked? I would've suggested they were two of the better performers on the day. Or at you taking the bench hooker for Australia Barbarians as your example?

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Very sorry to hear that. Who is in? and who is out?

The injured player was from the Combined States team I heard this yesterday from a reliable source, however I did not catch the name of the player or the replacement. The injured player came back for the team photo taken before the game. I'll try to find out the names for you and come back to you shortly

Status
Not open for further replies.