• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuma

Peter Burge (5)
I rated the CS 3 as a special from day 1.. he is very similar to Angus Bell (1) from NSW1. I also thought Bryden was fantastic in defence but just did not get the opportunity in attack. With s better back line inside him he is as good as Tricks and Dutallis in attack.. Jude Gibbs was another that stood out for mine.

To me the CS 3 got blocked out just given the minimal minutes and a tokenistic award. He played 8 for CCC and a bit of Prop to keep him on then only used at Prop for CS. Looked like a case of favouring another guy at 8 and the award for team man meant to make up for being shuffled out.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
IMPORTANT TIME FOR AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS TEAM SELECTIONS
by ASRU on August 5, 2018 in News

The final squads for the Australian Schools Teams will be announced on August 21st.

In their current school games players are being watched to assist wit the finalisation of the two teams.

This will include the addition of 5 more players to the squad of 41 already announced.

It will also include the listing of the two teams–

–the Australian Schoolboys Team

–the Australian Schools Barbarians Team (Australia A)

These two teams will go into camp in Brisbane on September 24th to prepare for their games against NZ and Tongan Schools on 1st and 6th October.

From these games a squad of 27 players will selected to tour the UK in November / December.This squad will be announced on Sunday 7th October in the afternoon.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Having given this some thought, and in light of form post the National trials, it would not surprise me at all if the selectors choose Lochie Dring (NSW2 and Barker 4) at 6for the schoolboys side instead of the 2nd row. He is a lineout winner for sure, but his defence and his running ball in hand has been outstanding. At 6ft 4 he maybe considered to short for the second row, but at a 6 he will be perfect.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
At 6ft 4 he maybe considered to short for the second row, but at a 6 he will be perfect.

I wouldn't think he would be considered too short at 6'4", not for Schoolboy football. Especially if he has good jumping skills.

He may find himself in the back row, come colts.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Having given this some thought, and in light of form post the National trials, it would not surprise me at all if the selectors choose Lochie Dring (NSW2 and Barker 4) at 6for the schoolboys side instead of the 2nd row. He is a lineout winner for sure, but his defence and his running ball in hand has been outstanding. At 6ft 4 he maybe considered to short for the second row, but at a 6 he will be perfect.

Rod, I think L. Dring is very good, but I think you are trying to find Aussie spots for the Barker boys.
If Lochie doesn't make it as a 2nd rower he can't see him making it as a flanker/no.8.

Not mobile enough and I think the spots of no 6/7/8 have some serious competition like Reimer, Harris, the ACT/injured boy from last year, etc etc. At a stretch Moretti may even make 1 of these positions.

What_the...

Peter Burge (5)
Rod, I think L. Dring is very good, but I think you are trying to find Aussie spots for the Barker boys.
If Lochie doesn't make it as a 2nd rower he can't see him making it as a flanker/no.8.

Not mobile enough and I think the spots of no 6/7/8 have some serious competition like Reimer, Harris, the ACT/injured boy from last year, etc etc. At a stretch Moretti may even make 1 of these positions.

If the selectors were at Barker on Saturday they would have seen a very mobile Lachie Dring. I know the opposition were not as strong as others but he busted the line twice - well actually he ran through a small back line gap once and made 50. The Knox backs were struggling to keep up with him.

He’s plenty mobile for a second rower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
AUSTRALIAN TEAMS FOR TRI NATIONS IN SEPTEMBER ANNOUNCED
by ASRU on August 21, 2018 in News
Congratulations to the following students selected as below

They are to assemble in Brisbane n 24th September and will be contacted shortly re all arrangements

They will play NZ and Tongan Schools as follows.

October 1st–at Gregory Terrace Grounds, Tennyson–

2 p.m. Australian Schools Barbarians v New Zealand Schools

4 p.m. Australian Schoolboys v Tongan Schools

October 6th–at Ballymore

3 p.m. Australian Schools Barbarians v Tongan Schools

5 p.m. Australian Schoolboys v New Zealand Schools

AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS ALPHABETICAL
NAME SURNAME SCHOOL TEAM
Daniel Ala St Augustine’s College NSW 2
Angus Bell Newington College NSW 1
Angus Bell St Ignatius’ College NSW 2
John Connolly The Kings School NSW 1
Apinesa Driti Gungahlin College ACT
Donny Freeman Kinross Wolaroi School NSW 1
Carter Gordon Brisbane Boys College QLD 1
Will Harris The Scot’s College NSW 1
Zane Hogan St Edmund’s College ACT
Lachlan Ilias Trinity Grammar School NSW 1
Spencer Jeans The Southport School QLD 1
Brendan Jimenez St Edmund’s College ACT
Tyrell Kopua The Southport School QLD 1
Thomas Lambert Trinity Grammar School NSW 1
Luca Moretti Waverley College NSW 1
Reesjan Pasitoa St Joseph’s College, Nudgee QLD 1
Billy Pollard Barker College NSW 1
Luke Reimer Barker College NSW 1
Seb Strang The Scot’s College NSW 1
Bailey Tautau St Joseph’s College, Nudgee QLD 1
Tom van der Schyff The Southport School QLD 1
Joey Walton Wadalba HS NSW 1
Jeremy Williams The Scot’s College NSW 1

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS BARBARIANS ALPHABETICAL
NAME SURNAME SCHOOL TEAM
Lachlan Albert St Ignatius’ College NSW 1
Jangala Bennett St Joseph’s College, Nudgee QLD 1
Vincent Creagh St Joseph’s College NSW 2
Zac Crothers Anglican Church Grammar School QLD 2
John Downes Marist College, Ashgrove QLD 1
Lachlan Dring Barker College NSW 2
Matthew Dutallis St Ignatius College,Riverview NSW 1
Tane Edmed Trinity Grammar School NSW 1
Fred Fewtrell Anglican Church Grammar School QLD 1
Haloti Fonua Victoria University SC VIC
Harry Fox Padua College QLD 2
Aiden Kelso Kinross Wolaroi NSW 2
Matt Minogue The Kings School NSW 2
Zane Nongorr The Southport School QLD 1
Zachary Perrin Daramalan College ACT
Will Roach St Joseph’s College, Gregory Terrace QLD 1
David Tejcek Barker College NSW 2
Fred Tricks The Scot’s College NSW 1
Harry Vella St Joseph’s College, Nudgee QLD 1
Dennis Waight Brisbane Grammar School QLD 1
Brett Wellington The Scot’s College Combined States
0 Jack Winchester Bishop Druitt College, Coffs Harbour NSW 2
One to be added

B

Bobby Sands

A few pages back a few people were saying it wasn't common to play both league and union schoolboys, I'm pretty sure it's only happened one other time. Karmichael would have done it easy if he wanted to though (he chose league).

Moretti would be a Crichton like loss. :(

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
New
For those in Brisbane this weekend for the Australia Schools v NZ Schools. Great story to come of this one. German 16 year old (yes 16) Anton Segner made the NZ schools this year after 18 months or so as an exchange student. He made his debut starting against Tonga , with a (commentator view) man of the match performance with many poaches and a try. He came from the bench against the Australian Baa baa's . Came out of the Frankfurt 1880 youth program . The kid is a freak , has a work ethic to match and models himself on Ritchie McCaw. Word on the street is he has already been picked up by the Crusaders Academy .

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
New

For those in Brisbane this weekend for the Australia Schools v NZ Schools. Great story to come of this one. German 16 year old (yes 16) Anton Segner made the NZ schools this year after 18 months or so as an exchange student. He made his debut starting against Tonga , with a (commentator view) man of the match performance with many poaches and a try. He came from the bench against the Australian Baa baa's . Came out of the Frankfurt 1880 youth program . The kid is a freak , has a work ethic to match and models himself on Ritchie McCaw. Word on the street is he has already been picked up by the Crusaders Academy .

That's great news for NZ rugby. Really happy for them. Just what they need to give them some much needed hope for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.