An excellent performance by the NSW U18 side saw them defeat ACT today 59-19 (on my count) @ Waratah headquarters.
The NSW team outclassed the ACT opposition across the park.
Standout performances from NSW included Pollard (2) whose defence was incredible, Bokenham (4) Brial (6) Sevele (8) Gibbs (10) who controlled the game throughout, Latu (14) and Connolly (15) who demonstrated great flair and tactical play. But there were really no weaknesses at all in the Waratah side.
Latu scored several tries from great passes and O'Brien (13) scored a trademark try under the posts from a Gibbs crossover.
Saunders (17) made an impact when he came on including a well deserved last try on the bell.
A very positive start for NSW that augers well for their upcoming game against QLD.
glad you saw that last try INP - the video camera got a good shot of a tree and a banner which the players were hiding behind!
[PS - pedant alert - "auger" is good at drilling holes, not foretelling the future, ie "augur".]
There was to be an u18s competition this year aligned with the Colts program, but this failed to get off the ground as most Sydney teams had extreme trouble assembling sufficient numbers to make up a team. West Sydney Two Blues was one club that seemed to have an abundant number of 17 and 18 year olds, but they ended up playing Colts - with limited success (though they had three of their boys chosen for the NSW 18s team last Sunday).Sorry, new to this forum, and the reply may be in the wrong section , though it is
pertaining to under 18's in 2020.
Just seeing if there has been any chatter on pathways and competitions
for under 17/18's in 2020, in the Sydney Junior competition?. These boys are
the future of NSW U18's next year and in 2021.
We have a core group of boys, around 10 or so, who love their rugby and had played in
the SJRU 16A competition this year but are unsure of what the future in the sport will
If there isn't a viable U18's Club competition, than their only option would be to play
(yuck) League again..
Reds U18s Maroon side to face NSW Waratahs Academy:
1. Harry Vella - St Josephs, Nudgee College
2. George Blake - The Southport School
3. Zane Nonggorr - The Southport School
4. Wilson Blyth - The Southport School
5. Jacob Blyton - Brisbane Boys College
6. George Gibson - Brisbane Boys College
7. Will Roach (VC) - University of Queensland Rugby Club
8. Titi Nofoagatatoa - St Josephs , Nudgee College
9. Kalani Thomas - Ipswich Grammar School
10. Jake Pappin - Brothers Rugby Club
11. Mac Grealy - Downlands College
12. Lukas Ripley - Brisbane Boys College
13. Josh Flook (c) - Brothers Rugby Club
14. Glen Vaihu - St Josephs ,Gregory Terrace
15. Dion Samuela - The Southport School
16. Jake Tierney - Brisbane Boys College
17. Andrew Romano - Brisbane Boys College
18. Tim Fainaanuku - Toowoomba Grammar School
19. Matt Englebrecht - University of Queensland Rugby Club
20. Keenan Timu - Marsden State High School
21. Finn Hearn - St Josephs Nudgee College
22. Jojo Fifita - The Southport School
23. Kedan Chang Tung - Ipswich Grammar School
The players who will be a good chance of being named in the U18 Aus team are:
1. Harry Vella - QLD
2. Billy Pollard - NSW
3. Zane Nonggorr - QLD
4. Hugh Bokerman - NSW
5. ‘Kid from Victoria - name escapes me’
6. Joe Brial - NSW
7. Will Roach - QLD
8. Papillon Sevele - NSW
9. Lachlan Albert - ACT
10. Carter Gordon - QLD
11. Mac Grealy - QLD
12. Reesjan Pasitoa - ACT
13. Josh Flook - QLD
14. Mason Hill - WA (or 23)
15. John Connelly - NSW
16. Adrian Brown - NSW
18. George Blake - NSW
19. George Gibson - QLD
20. Titi - QLD
21. Kalani - QLD
22. Jude Gibbs - NSW