• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys / Under 18s 2019

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Depends on the game but maybe 20% of what's attending Reds Games but where it's all gravy and able to be leveraged better as opposed to getting killed on numbers that can't be hit

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Righto , Maybe time for a new thread titled “All things wrong in Australian rugby”

Might already be one ?

Good luck to all those hopeful of wearing green & gold this year .

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
The only issue I see with the new structure is that it does not cater for the late bloomers or surprise players. They are not going to be picked up in the QLD Acadamy squads, not going to be picked in any School boy sides. The only option is to go to club land (not a bad thing) and perform there. Provided they dont give the game away before hand. Again as they have never been on any radar they have to perform above and beyong to gain any recognition above boys who have been in the program.
Very happy to see a wider base for the juniors but the QLD GPS schools and RA need to work a bit better together to aline.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Think about it from this point of view; isn’t it great that QRU are able to view the talent in other areas of the state other than the GPS schools that they may not have had the opportunity to previously! From a regional player perspective outside of the GPS system, this is their chance to make an impression. Who knows, the QLD teams may perform above everyone’s expectations.
Whilst I don’t agree that a school principal can restrict any player from trialling for a state team, the pathway forward could be to the benefit of rugby across the state. This is a transition year and we would imagine this will be fine tuned in coming years.
QRU and RA have had their eyes on GPS players for years, so let’s see what else is out their for the future of QLD rugby. I imagine this concept may help retain some potential talent from migrating over to league.
I think it is important to consider what these decision makers are trying to achieve, rather that focusing on your little Johnny losing an opportunity. If little Johnny is good enough he’ll shine in years to come.
BUT GPS principals should not have the right to restrict (or punish) players from being selected in the QSSS teams. That needs to change next year.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Think about it from this point of view; isn’t it great that QRU are able to view the talent in other areas of the state other than the GPS schools that they may not have had the opportunity to previously! From a regional player perspective outside of the GPS system, this is their chance to make an impression. Who knows, the QLD teams may perform above everyone’s expectations.
Whilst I don’t agree that a school principal can restrict any player from trialling for a state team, the pathway forward could be to the benefit of rugby across the state. This is a transition year and we would imagine this will be fine tuned in coming years.
QRU and RA have had their eyes on GPS players for years, so let’s see what else is out their for the future of QLD rugby. I imagine this concept may help retain some potential talent from migrating over to league.
I thinks it is important to consider what these decision makers are trying to achieve, rather that focusing on your little Johnny losing an opportunity. If little Johnny is good enough he’ll shine in years to come.
BUT GPS principals should not have the right to restrict (or punish) players from being selected in the QSSS teams. That needs to change next year.

i agree its great to cast the new further, its integral to capturing kids who might otherwise go to league. But its just nor transparent enough. There is no way the RA or NSW/QRU are looking at 16 and 17 year olds, they don't have the resources. I bet that this new system is an agreement between the schools and RA to improve the depth and the academy was an initiative by RA to give schools (GPS mainly) are ticket through to the big dance. The schools would be identifying the kids they think are worthy and someone at the academy would consider this application. It says in the letter to the principals that the kids in the academy's don't have to trial. This is ambiguous and doesn't explain why or how they get this privilege.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Of course. I was never extolling any virtue there.

The massive latent value in Clubs is a significant solution piece to the puzzle. The people on the ground have already spoken when you look at turnout rates and interest in Shute Shield and here in Premier Grade and then compare that to the piss poor crowds at Tahs and Reds games. The top end of the game is simply way too disconnected to its grassroots , from where , you will be able to build your values and your identity. Which like I said doesn't exist in any meaningful sense anymore.

DM I couldnt agree more. In RL and AFL a talented 18 year old has learned 99% of their craft, wheras in RU an 18 year old has a long way to go . A few more years of hard club will sort the true talent out. Thats why rugby is different, its more complicated and the talent doesnt necessarily make a statement at 18. Read Courier Mail article last week on John Eales schoolboy best selection was reserve for Qld B. Eales would never have been offered a contract.

intheknow2012

Bob McCowan (2)
I think you will find Australia is aligning themselves with what they do in the Northern Hemisphere in terms of pathways. What we are currently doing is not working so it needs to change, so well done to Rugby AU for identifying this and making a change. We have challenges in Australia, with competition for our players from other codes and also from abroad, so we can't not have academies or opportunities for our youth. At the end of the day, early developers will always be missed, but if they are good enough and want it bad enough, they will make it. Regarding QLD GPS players not making the QLD schoolboys teams - there's a lot of conversation around this, understandably so. Worth noting that the selection process for the QLD schools teams changed this year, for a number of reasons but without a lot of consultation. In a nutshell, all players had to trial for their region (Met West, South Coast, etc.) and then go into the State Championships. This is how they select most QLD schools team sports in QLD. Unfortunately this ruled out the GPS schools though, as the trials for these Regional teams were in February and States were last week. Schools have a Duty of Care, and sending players to trials without any preparation would be crazy, particularly after the year the QLD GPS had last year. Even the timing of the State Champs doesn't really work with QLD GPS schools, as most schools are still yet to have their first trial game. Great to see such a diverse range of schools representing the QLD schoolboy sides, and what an opportunity for these boys.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think you will find Australia is aligning themselves with what they do in the Northern Hemisphere in terms of pathways. What we are currently doing is not working so it needs to change, so well done to Rugby AU for identifying this and making a change. We have challenges in Australia, with competition for our players from other codes and also from abroad, so we can't not have academies or opportunities for our youth. At the end of the day, early developers will always be missed, but if they are good enough and want it bad enough, they will make it. Regarding QLD GPS players not making the QLD schoolboys teams - there's a lot of conversation around this, understandably so. Worth noting that the selection process for the QLD schools teams changed this year, for a number of reasons but without a lot of consultation. In a nutshell, all players had to trial for their region (Met West, South Coast, etc.) and then go into the State Championships. This is how they select most QLD schools team sports in QLD. Unfortunately this ruled out the GPS schools though, as the trials for these Regional teams were in February and States were last week. Schools have a Duty of Care, and sending players to trials without any preparation would be crazy, particularly after the year the QLD GPS had last year. Even the timing of the State Champs doesn't really work with QLD GPS schools, as most schools are still yet to have their first trial game. Great to see such a diverse range of schools representing the QLD schoolboy sides, and what an opportunity for these boys.
Not true. An overwhelming percentage of boys in Firsts Squads at GPS Schools have been training through the summer albeit not necessarily in an organised squad sense but individually preparing nonetheless . In rough terms around 100 boys were denied opportunity to participate and I would suggest at least two thirds to three quarters of them would have been just as physically prepared if not more than those that participated.

Don’t try and pass this off as some higher moral reason as to why the schools held their boys back to protect them as its wildly inaccurate * said as GPS Schools permitted their league aligned boys play Mal Meninga Cup and trial and train for QSSS League State Championship in the same window *

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Think about it from this point of view; isn’t it great that QRU are able to view the talent in other areas of the state other than the GPS schools that they may not have had the opportunity to previously! From a regional player perspective outside of the GPS system, this is their chance to make an impression.
Why does it need to be mutually exclusive ? Could the talent out of regional teams not be properly identified if the Brisbane regional teams , and South Coast and Downs were properly represented ? Does the existence of GPS players in this channel somehow create an inability for a regional player to participate and be seen? This whole thought process of 2 or 3 guys at one organisation have seen Brisbane boys at 15 to 16 and have made their assessments and commitments is backward in the extreme.

intheknow2012

Bob McCowan (2)
League is different mate - that's playing a mini season of club footy. They have a pre-season for this. They don't just turn up and start playing- they prepare for this. You're right, a lot of boys are keeping fit and lifting weights over the summer, but that doesn't make them ready to be involved in a game of footy in February without any formal pre-season. Player safety and timing are factors - and obviously the fact that Rugby AU changed their pathway to work in with GPS schools.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
So how'd the preseason prep go for the State School boys and the Regional boys ? What hardened competition and prep did they have that made them ready to go in March that the GPS boys didn't , a decent number of whom I might add from most Schools were doing Club Academy or Colts Preseason stuff. And don't make excuses in this context for the league boys as to why they get a leave pass and are allowed to participate in their pathway when Rugby boys weren't . Doesn't wash with the reality and the fact that a major double standard exists due to a likely collusive dealing between two bodies for whatever their respective perceived advantages were. But let's not pretend it was to protect the boys.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
In the QLD GPS season our lads only play 8 games of rugby each year unless you are selected in representative teams, and the current trend for GPS schools is to restrict players from joining club land for the entire season. Whilst every other rugby player on this planet plays in excess of 20 games each year. GPS schools in QLD have too much control over the future of young talent, and this is why we are losing the battle with league.
A few years ago there was a decline in the number of scholarships on offer across Brisbane and from what I could gather the contribution from the schools were not as inviting as they once were. BGS, BBC and NC certainly were changing their views on substantial sport/rugby scholarships.
Let’s hope the changes coming are for benefit of all players and retaining great talent for rugby across Australia.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think the thing people are forgetting is that GPS schools have decided which of their students get to trial for Qld Schoolboys for quite some time.

Previous to this year to trial for Qld Schoolboys you had to make one of the GPS Rep teams that headed off to Ballymore in the last week of term 2 to compete for spots in Qld 1&2.

To make a GPS Rep team you first had to be nominated by your DOR and First XV coach as worthy of a spot. After a couple of trials against other GPS schools , the DORs and First XV coaches then got locked into a room until they came up with the teams.

A GPS lad couldn’t just rock up at Ballymore and say pick me please. The GPS schools picked who got to represent them at the state trials. They basically have always told the Qld Schoolboys selectors who to look at.

New pathways , no change to this, except it seems like the GPS schools are schooling up the Academy selectors rather than Qld Schoolboys selectors. Same same really.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
You’re probably right. Looking forward to seeing the outcome at Riverview in July. I did see a post a while ago with the 2018 Aus players from QLD that are eligible this year. From memory,

Carter Gordon
Harry Vella
Will Roach (selected but injured)
Reesjan Pasitoa (now ACT)

Anyone else?

The Doctor

Frank Row (1)
You’re probably right. Looking forward to seeing the outcome at Riverview in July. I did see a post a while ago with the 2018 Aus players from QLD that are eligible this year. From memory,

Carter Gordon
Harry Vella

Anyone else?

John Downes (selected but injured)

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

Carter Gordon
Harry Vella

Anyone else?
Cayle Manu
Brad Khune

Both called in to cover injuries .

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sydney 18s team for Country match 15 June announced today.

Many unfamiliar names with lots from Western Sydney Two Blues and Liverpool.

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5c7a072d5c2293579349778f/5cd8cdcde025344d79a51e97_2019 SJRU Open Boys.pdf

Unfamiliar would depend on where your involvement in the game is :) There are some truly talented boys in this team and a great opportunity for them to be included in the pathway. Hopefully a couple go a whole lot further.